Thread: the monk

Default the monk

In the hartnell years there was a meddeling monk. The dr. trapped him there in tenth centery england. I then seen him reappear in a hartnell lost years eppisode with the dalleks. How did he get there, and what ever happened to him? He was a presumeably a time lord, did he regenerate? or does the charactor simply go away? I looked on you tube and found patrick stewert as the monk however i still have not seen it. and i still want to know everything i can about him
    Last edited by the master; 18th Mar 2010 at 5:02 AM.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Monk will give you all the information there is on him.

The character of The Meddling Monk / the Time Meddler was superb and it was great to have Peter Butterworth from the Carry On movies portray him on screen.

In some ways it's a shame he never came back, but on the other hand he might not have worked against Troughton's Doctor. Both characters are rather clown-ish.

It's also strange that a character who dressed as a monk because he was hiding in a monastery should be remembered as 'the Meddling Monk'. It's as though he dresses as a monk all the time and it was merely good fortune that he chose a monastery to hide in. He'd find it much harder to blend in at a British Naval Base, or a Vulcan Colony.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The stole the directional unit from the Monks' TARDIS at the end of "The Time Meddler", stranded him in 10th Century Britain. But he turned up again in "The Daleks' Masterplan", having presumably repaired the device. The Doctor promptly sabotaged the Monks' TARDIS AGAIN, changing its appearance into a police box, a stage coach and a number of other weird objects. The Monk wasn't heard of after the Doctor escaped from him in "The Daleks' Masterplan", so presumably he's still out in space and time, somewhere...

Si.

.....boldly going where no Monk has gone before.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I heard he legged it to an internet forum and posed as The Doctor.

I wonder how much he's prepared to pay for the return of his dimensional circuit...?

In the tv series he's still marooned on that ice planet or was it that he couldn't navigate his way anywhere after the Doctor took his device and tried to use it to get his TARDIS back to Kembel? I forget...
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybear View Post
    In the tv series he's still marooned on that ice planet or was it that he couldn't navigate his way anywhere after the Doctor took his device and tried to use it to get his TARDIS back to Kembel? I forget...
    JB
    I don't see any need to differentiate between the TV series and stories in other media. We know he escaped because he's appeared multiple times in Big Finish audios and at least one novel.

The reason being that not all novels and BF audios slot neatly in with the tv series, which is the prime interest of the fans of the show!
    JB

The reason being that not all novels and BF audios slot neatly in with the tv series, which is the prime interest of the fans of the show!
    JB
    BF audios do generally fit in seamlessly, unless they're in the Unbound range, which are specifically intended to be non canon. Big Finish are very careful about it.

Well some of the reasons aren't necessarily anyone's fault but Peter Davison's voice is definitely older and harsher than his actual tv adventures and the same for most of the other actors in the range too!
    JB

Well some of the reasons aren't necessarily anyone's fault but Peter Davison's voice is definitely older and harsher than his actual tv adventures and the same for most of the other actors in the range too!
    JB
    I don't regard that as a problem. Patrick Troughton was noticeably older in The Two Doctors than he was during his own era, but nobody questions that story's legitimacy, and it has continuity problems far more significant than in any Big Finish story.

Yes that's true but the two out of sync appearances of Patrick Troughton (I'm not counting The Three Doctors due to the fact that we are unaware of where he was scooped up from in his life only that it is after The Invasion and that he doesn't look too different to his own era) are just that two rather than the many Davison CDs there are! Plus do we really think that Erimem was in the TARDIS between POF and COA?
    JB