Thread: Bread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bread

The price of bread could soon rise to 1 a loaf, bakers are warning.
    Say what now? Doesn't bread cost about 1.70p for a loaf! Mind you, I do buy nice Granary bread with the bits in. If you're going to buy something, you might as well get the healthiest version.

So anyway, which bread do you buy and why? Tesco Value? Mighty White? Allisons?

Si.

I find white bread bland and tasteless, I prefer brown or granary, anything that isn't white actually, pity Viv doesn't feel the same though.
    We have a breadmaker, I usually make at least one a week, although you have to use the bread fairly quickly as it soon gets a bit stale. One thing about home made bread like this is that I can only take two sandwiches to work as they are very filling, and as I fill mine with ham, salad, cheese etc, they are pretty full.
    With the bread mixes we buy at 58p for a standard sized loaf this is fairly cheap, although with the price of flour rising I expect these to go up soon.
    Talking about the rise in price of flour, this will affect Pot Noodle too, all we need now is for the price of palm oil to rise, and the price of those will certainly be affected.

Wayne Guest

I don't each that much bread really, but so i get those little loaves of Warbartons Malted Grain, which is a 'weigh****chers' loaf. It's so light that you have to put it at the bottom of your shopping bag, & everything else on top, so that it doesn't float off.

*Now what's up with the bloody filter?
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Jan 2007 at 3:38 PM. Reason: the usual annoyance

We love our chips so much on PS, that a certain fat-busting organisation is not allowed to be mentioned.

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    We love our chips so much on PS, that a certain fat-busting organisation is not allowed to be mentioned.

Si.
    Well i'm off for my monthly weigh in down my local surgery in 20mins, so it's on my mind! Since last time was before xmas i think i'll be lucky to 'break even' what all that xmas nosh & xmas beer.
    But i've been working hard on it this last week, & from now on i'm thoroughly determind to reach my target weight sometime between end of May & beginning of July.

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    *Now what's up with the bloody filter?

I hope Wayne doesn't become known as the man who put the "tw*t" in "Weightw*tchers"....

to my shame I honestly wouldn't know what your average loaf of bread costs..

but I am a person who dose enjoy both wholemeal and whitebread though I prefer wholemeal for sandwiches and white bread with my dinner especialy if it's fish n chips from the chip shop. Warbartons and Hovis are my favourites but the worst loaf of bread has to be Marcs and Spencers brand.....

For toast it has to be Hovis extra extra super duper thick sliced bread. You only get about a dozen slices in a loaf but it makes my perfect toast.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lewis View Post
    I hope Wayne doesn't become known as the man who put the "tw*t" in "Weightw*tchers"....

Further to my previous post, I've just got back from getting weighed & i've lost 2lbs. It may not seem like much for 3 weeks, but considering the excess & lack of excersise over xmas, i'm quite happy with that. But i go back in 3 weeks, & i'll aiming to lose double that.

That puts me at 16st.5lb. So only about 3 stone to go.

Anyway, bread! I don't eat white bread hardly either. Apart the occasional 'Tuna Crunch' doorstep from Greggs.
    Last edited by Wayne; 9th Jan 2007 at 5:46 PM.

I'm up to about 15 stone now. Might pass Wayne as he's on his way down.

Dave Lewis Guest

I've just weighed myself for the first time in about three years.... 11st 8lb!!!

The horror.

Wayne Guest

It's funny with weight isn't it? The weight that i'm aiming to get down to (around 13 stone) probably still sounds like loads to some people.

well i'm only 9 1/2 stone but then i'm only a wee lad at 5ft 4....

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    It's funny with weight isn't it? The weight that i'm aiming to get down to (around 13 stone) probably still sounds like loads to some people.
    Well I'm 6 ft and I look skinny at less than 13 stone

Oh as for bread - I like brown bread with chewy bits in it.
    Last edited by Ralph; 9th Jan 2007 at 7:38 PM.

Does bread really cost 1.70 where you live, Si?! It's between 25p (Somerfield's chirpy chirpy cheap cheap) and about 90p (top-notch Hovis) down here. The one we usually have is 60p (or 45p if you get it in the evening when they reduce them) - although since t'father-in-law works in a bakery, we sometimes get a completely free crusty one, hurrah!!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Morrisons Organic Farmhouse Gold is my favourite and comes in at about 65p. That said, I tend not to eat too much bread because more than a couple of slices gives me chronic indigestion.

We're big fans of Allinson's Sunflower Multigrain bread here. It usually clocks in at 1.07, so we only get that when Steve is paying for the shopping because I refuse to pay over 1 for a loaf of bread.

If I'm paying we usually get Tescos or Sainsbury's Multi-Grain seeded loaves which coast 88p, or a nice Malted Harvest Loaf for 85p from Greggs.

Bread is much loved in our house. It's important to get it right.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    We're big fans of Allinson's Sunflower Multigrain bread here.
    Aye...bread wi nowt tak'n out...

I tend to buy a loaf on a Saturday morning when I tend to do my weekend shop since going back to work. I love the Sainsbury's multiseeded granary which is around 80p I think - I might get the smaller size than Si and Steve anyway as there's only one of me. That makes me enough sandwiches for Saturday through to Monday then I tend to have Sainsbury's ready made sandwiches for the rest of the week using luncheon vouchers so I don't feel like I'm spending too much!

For the weekend, I also like their Tiger bread loaf which recently went up from 41p to 52p - the horror! Or seeded bloomer, with or without poppy seeds. They're around 70p.

Si Hunt must shop at the baker's equivalent of Galaxy 4!

I'll have sourdough please.

Oh, and if you weren't combining words there wouldn't be a problem with the filter (it's Weight Watchers - I should know, my Mom used to be a Weight Watchers leader )

Si Hunt must shop at the baker's equivalent of Galaxy 4!
    Maybe it's a limited edition of 30 slices, signed by Maureen O'Brien.

*Homer Simpson-esque*

Dough!

Si.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    *Homer Simpson-esque*

Dough!

Si.
    Is that with Marje?
    Last edited by Wayne; 10th Jan 2007 at 11:27 PM.

Gah! Out-punned!

Si.

I know a fool proof way of losing weight that Wayne could try, but he'd have trouble believing me as it involves a bit of metaphysical application.

I buy Hovis by the way, one of the few with no additives.
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 11th Jan 2007 at 7:19 PM.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!