Thread: Classic covers

Default Classic covers

The place to share some of your favourite covers of all time. Regardless of whether it's a paperback or hardback book, magazine, comic, dvd, video, computer/video game, LP, or cd...if there's a cover which you like, let's see it here!

I'll kick us off with my classic album cover of the day...

a 1980s paperback edition of ERB's first Martian novel, long lost from my collection...

and an early Marvel UK cover, I can clearly remember buying this way back in 1974...

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    The place to share some of your favourite covers of all time. Regardless of whether it's a paperback or hardback book, magazine, comic, dvd, video, computer/video game, LP, or cd...if there's a cover which you like, let's see it here!

I'll kick us off with my classic album cover of the day...

Bad cover version:

Top thread idea, Kenny. I was thinking of something similar myself when I was looking at my Excalibur comics. Some of the Alan Davis covers were brilliant and very funny.

Expect some soon.

One of my favourites:

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

This is one of the 'iconic' ones from my childhood - 2000AD covers were generally pretty good, but this was probably one of the simplest, and most effective from 'my' era:

A recent favourite, although this DW publicity pic has always been a favourite of mine...

I remember back in the early 80s, DC tried it's hand in the UK market with a b&w monthly reprint title, which featured new painted covers by UK artists. This one by Alan Craddock, more to follow soon...

The original cover of HHGTG, always my favourite version...

And finally for today, a classic 60s comic cover, by John Buscema. This is how comic covers should be imo, rather than those poses which are commonplace nowadays.

In a similar vein, as a kid I always used to really like the OTT covers for the Star Wars comics - I believe the original adaptation of the film was done before the film itself was finished, so maybe some of the slight changes of emphasis are understandable. Here, for example, is the cover to the issue featuring the famous cantina scene:

And also the final battle:

I love those old covers, Andrew. They bring back memories!

First up today, a favourite old DW Video cover...

A long-forgotten Buck Rogers tv series tie-in novel...

Another random Superheroes cover...

A Battlestar Galactica novelisation from the late 70s...

And the original Star Wars sequel! This was great for those of us who read it a year or two before Empire hit the cinema screens...

Oh yes, Splinter - I've still got my battered old copy of that upstairs somewhere. A much more 'low-budget' sequel I guess, but I do recall really enjoying it.