View Poll Results: Matt Smith Years: Box Set or Vanillas?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the Vanilla's now Si! Go With Your Heart!

4 36.36%
  • Don't be silly Si! Get the Box Set at Christmas!

7 63.64%

Default Smith Years: Vanilla Or Box Set?

A big decision needs to be made! I bought (and still have) all the Eccleston and Tennant Years stories on Vanilla. There's a couple of reasons for this - I kind of like the look of them on the shelf; although it's not one adventure per disc, it's close and having a chunk of DVD's per Doctor makes it feel like an era on the shelf. It feels rather insubstantial to have a few inches representing each New Series Doctor. Also I like getting them sooner - in the past, it's fun being able to re-watch the episodes in "clean" format just a few weeks after they've been on, rather than have to wait til Christmas. Then again, this is a bit silly when you still have them on the V Box. Finally it spreads the cost. £50 or whatever is always a big spend for the box set, but £8 for a few episodes each month is a bit easier on the wallet.

Then again, is it worth waiting for the Box Set? To be honest the shelf space issue is a bit silly (especially from someone rapidly "going digital" with music and seeking to chuck out as many of his old CD's as possible), we could ask for the Box Set for Christmas and you don't get extras of course, though I'm not that bothered about those.

But I do like the Vanilla releases, sitting lined up on the shelf giving the new Doctor's era's a bit of substance and looking lovely.

But which is it to be for the first Smith Season - Box Set or Vanilla's? Please help me make up my mind!

Si.

Vanilla.

I realise that wasn't a very witty answer, but I hope it was helpful!!

Get the box set. It's the only way Si. The only way.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's an easy choice for us. After the HD broadcast I wouldn't want to watch it on grimy, slimy, smelly old DVD (stands for Downgraded Video Dirty). No, the only way to buy this new series on funky new Blu-Ray, the only choice of disc for the I-Phone generation.

In a box set.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

But I think the vanillas are coming out in Blu-Ray as well as DVD aren't they?

I think Si's answered his own question in his opening post as he's more positive about vanillas than boxsets and has been for the last 5 years!

Personally, now more than ever, I can't see the point of wanting a vanilla release so soon after release when the whole series will be available on IPlayer for the next 3 months on their Series Catch Up function - and Si, like me being a Virgin Media customer, that means you can watch all 13 episodes anytime you want until one week after the series finale, with an episode being added to the mix every week.

http://www.bbcshop.com/Doctor-Who-Se...nvt/bbcdvd3213

PRE-ORDER NOW! Be one of the first to own ‘Doctor Who: Series 5, Volume 1 (DVD)’. You can order now and we will despatch it to you once we receive stock from the publisher. You will not be charged until your order is ready for despatch.
    Be the FIRST, Si! The FIRST!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I used to collect the Eccles/Tennant vanillas, but these days I think I'll be quite happy with my BBC HD recordings, unless there's something very special on a bluray boxset. I'm sure Confidential will cover most of that though.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

As Alberto Frog used to say, "Hmmmmm.... vanilla."

I personally prefer the box sets, but I totally understand your arguments for buying the vanilla releases before, Si - youre very persuasive! Add to that the fact that the covers for those releases were magnificent. However, only you can decide!

I would go for Vanilla because they are cheaper to buy than to lay out all the money for a boxset in one go. It's just a shame that they don't do any offers where if you can send proof of purchace of all the Vanillas to get a free disc with all the boxset extras on.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

Of course you could buy the cheaper vanillas now and then wait for the inevitable price drop on the full box set.

£9.99p from Play.com and triple Nectar Points. Nnnnnnnrrrrrgggghhhhhhmmmmm....

Si.

Go for the heart.

Vanilla for me, I bought the first 2 series on box set and I very dissapointed with the extras on them I simply have no interest in things like video diaries. also as si, says the vanilla releases look so much nicer on the shelf.