Default New Doctor Who Episodes You Will Never See

Several times in the optimistic hype of the New Series, Russell T and the like have noted that Doctor Who might go on "forever". It's certainly concievable that, with fifty years under its belt, for decades to come people will either be making it or thinking about bringing its back.

Some us are getting on a bit, and it's possible that, in thirty or forty years time, we might even be dead. Have you ever considered that they might still be making Doctor Who after you've gone? There might be episodes and Doctors that you will NEVER SEE.

How do you feel about this? Can you see yourself still buying Doctor Who on Blu-Ray or Virgin3D discs when you are a pensioner? And will it bug you, as you close your eyes and breath your last, that you simply won't ever know how the 17th Doctor regenerates?

Si.

No.

No.
    Succinct.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Me neither.

And there are already DW episodes which we will never 'see' and that's frustrating enough!

I hope I don't pop my clogs before the 17th Doctor regenerates - although I might be collecting my pension by then, depending on how long each actor takes the reign of Doctor Who for .

On a (slightly) more serious note, I do find my association with Doctor Who an amazing thing: I consider it a huge gift. Something that's filled my life since I was 4 and, you know, I reckon when I die of old age (which I currently plan to do) I'll still be watching it. How about that? This great thing that spans your whole life! I think when I go, my last thought will be how grateful I am to Doctor Who for filling my life with adventure, imagination and wonder.

Si.

Alternatively they could re-make the missing episodes using the telesnaps for reference, copying each scene shot-for-shot, using lookalikes to mime to the soundtrack.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Doctor Who has become like Sherlock Holmes - something that will live on for centuries because it has so much scope for storytelling, it isn't limited to any one genre or format, it isn't tied to one actor or author and it isn't owned by a restrictive production company that will milk it within tight controls and crack down on unauthorised works (as, say, Bond and Harry Potter are).

I like that it'll continue on when we're as dead as Conan Doyle or Basil Rathbone.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Succinct.
    Sorry I just couldn't resist given Si's initial post

I'll still be watching in my old age. Sitting down with the grandchildren and mumbling about how it was better in my day.
    I'm hoping we'll still have PS meets at that age too. They'll be at a day centre rather than apub though

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I'm hoping we'll still have PS meets at that age too. They'll be at a day centre rather than a pub though

Captain Tancredi Guest

Essentially, as long as there's still television and still a BBC making programmes, it's a property that the Corporation can return to every now and then in the knowledge that the basic concept is strong enough and flexible enough to reboot every few years. Some of the kids watching now will be the Russell T Davieses and Steven (or Stephanie) Moffats of thirty years hence, and they'll want to make a Doctor Who which is as good as it was when they were little.

But in a sense it's strange to think that the Doctor Who of 2040 will probably be setting historical stories in the 2010s- The Mandelson Code, anybody?

Sorry to bring seriuss to the thread, but when my Dad died in '81, one of my first child thoughts was "No! They can't make Doctor Who now!" but they did and they hopefully will when I'm gone too.
    I just hope it gets more popular and future people are green with envy about not having seen "Victory Of The Daleks" when it was first shown!

Bizarrely, I find it rather comforting to think that Doctor Who will be going on (long) after I'm dead. This is possibly a bit vain, but I like the idea that when I'm gone, and Claudia's looking after her grandkids, and Doctor Who comes on the telly, she'll roll her eyes and tell them, "Your great-grandpa was absolutely nuts about this silly old rubbish". In a similar way, my Grandpa was very fond of Dad's Army, and I never see an episode, or even hear that theme tune, without thinking of him.

What I'm looking forward to in the future is when futuristic settings in past Doctor Who episodes that are set on Earth end up conflicting with the real life setting! Although, I doubt Doctor Who will be still running in the year 5 billion, so the BBC won't have to come up with an explanation as to why the sun roasted the Earth at a time when it actually didn't!

It won't bother me, cos by that point I'll be going "oh the series has really gone downhill since the heyday of RTD".

"But Grandad it's more popular than ever"

"I don't care, it's not proper Who. I mean look at the special effects ..."

"They won the Academy Awards for Television"

"I know! That's what I mean, they're too good. You can't even see the CSO blur anymore. In my day your alien menace was two guys in a Myrka costume, and you were thankful for that! And as for Phil Redmond's stint, where it turned out that River Song was the love child of the Doctor and Donna, and Donna's comment about getting a piece of the Doctor meant she had sex with the naked half-human Doctors somewhere in Journeys End ... arrrgh!" Heart monitor flatlines ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Typical man, thinking of sex right up to the end!

Why worry about it? If i drop dead tomorrow there's nothing i can do about the series still running; equally, if the BBC bring it off the air for good at the end of this season, what's crying over spilt milk going to do?

if the BBC bring it off the air for good at the end of this season, what's crying over spilt milk going to do?
    Well if one particular fan hadn't banged on about it being a shame they didn't make Doctor Who anymore, the Head of Serials might not have had the idea to relaunch it in 2005...

Si.