Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post

They may both have Cybermen in them, but they're a completely doo-lally pairing.
    Only to fans with received wisdom, I expect.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

For me, they are my number 1 favourite and most important Who purchase (it's all about the stories! No point buying any figures, books or CD's if you haven't got the actual episodes in mint condition!) so I always get the DVDs when released. Therefore box sets just mean I get two stories at once instead of one. So they are great for me!

As soon as they arrive I fold the box away and seperate the weirdly matched pairings anyway.

Si.

Only to fans with received wisdom, I expect.
    Maybe the whole of old Doctor Who seems the same to people these days, but to me there's a massive difference in tone between these two stories. And don't 'fans with received wisdom' make up a large proportion of the market for the DVDs?

I just think they should release two or three stories at the same time without wrapping them up in cardboard together.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

And don't 'fans with received wisdom' make up a large proportion of the market for the DVDs?
    Obviously that's something I can't really prove, but I doubt it. Before the show came back, perhaps, but not since. Once they started appearing in Asdas, Tescos & everywhere else, you're bound to pick up the more casual viewer.

Added to that, as Si shows above, plenty of fans who do have "the wisdom" are still happy to buy them. The amount of fans who would refuse to buy a two story set just because it contains one they don't like is almost certainly negligible. Yes, they may wait for it to drop in the sales, but they still end up buying it. Don't forget 2|e's sales projections are based over a couple of years time period, not the first few weeks....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I do wonder if these box-sets are such a good idea. I think it encourages a lot of fans to wait until the price collapses. There must be some fans who would pay full price for Revenge, but not Silver Nemesis.

The DVD box-sets are becoming a run-of-the-mill release. If you look at the example of the new series books, they release three at a time so that the shops can make a display and an event out of them.

They may both have Cybermen in them, but they're a completely doo-lally pairing.

they are to 2-entertain, as the more box sets they bring out the quicker they can get everything released.

I'm probably feeling nostalgia for the heyday of BBC video when you'd get two releases a month!
    Added to that, as Si shows above, plenty of fans who do have "the wisdom" are still happy to buy them.
    But we'd still buy them if they came with 'A Free Sock' listed as the only extra, provided they were cleaned up and intact versions of the stories.

Obviously the box sets must be doing something for them, otherwise they wouldn't be coming out. But I am sure there must be some people who would prefer to buy them separately.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

If I said can I give you Ł10 now and Ł10 next month, or Ł20 immediately, which would you rather me do?

The idea that they could release them seperately on the shelf instead of bundled together wouldn't work, as people would say "Well, I can't really afford two DVD's this week, maybe if I buy the other one at some later point?" then forget or never get round to it.

Also, might the point be that by bundling together two different stories, you persaude both the Tom AND the Sylv fans to buy it? Maybe the fact they are so different is not as random as you think.

Si.

So you all love the box sets then?

I don't think 2|Entertain have got it absolutely right. It doesn't really matter to me because we get them all anyway.

you persaude both the Tom AND the Sylv fans to buy it?
    Or persuade both the Tom AND the Sylv fans to leave it on the shelf because they can't afford it this month?

It's arguable whether more people would buy neither than buy both if not given the option of buying one. It's tempting to say that if it's the former, the shelves wouldn't be full of 'packs' of movies and series bundled together?

I don't love or hate the box sets any more than I love or hate large packs of butter compared with small ones. It's not like you "get" anything different with a box set, aside from a thin bit of cardboard.

Btw you've probably got a point. Maybe 2 Entertain should put more effort in, other than picking two vagually linked stories and attaching them together?

Si.

All those arguments aside, you'd still have to pay for three crap episodes of The Space Museum, to get one good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    If Also, might the point be that by bundling together two different stories, you persaude both the Tom AND the Sylv fans to buy it? Maybe the fact they are so different is not as random as you think.

Si.
    I seem to recall a while back a rumour doing the rounds that Revenge was going to be released in a box set with Terror of the Zygons, which personaly I'd of much prefered.

Sneak peeks at the new covers:

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As you'd expect really. Of the two I like Silly Nem a bit better. For "Revenge", that's the same picture of Tom they always use for that story isn't it?

Si.

I rather like this one actually:

The Cybermen look all shiny and cool.

I rather like this one actually:

The Cybermen look all shiny and cool.

that looks lovely...

Hmmm, they're ok, might look better when we see them in colour. Revenge looks exactly like everyone would guess it might.

Oh look: a cluster of characters sitting in the middle of a circle. Unexpected.

Am I the only person who prefers the covers like Tomb and Ark in Space with a single striking (but still nicely photoshopped) image? I bet the cover for Face of Evil will hide the Tom stone face in the background behind David Garfield, Leslie Schofield, a huddled mass of Tesh and sixteen horda.
    "I remember because cherries send me into a wild fury!"

No you're not. Tomb, Ark in Space and The Dalek Invasion of Earth are the best covers they've done for the range, because they're simple and effective and therefore far more striking covers.

Si xx

Tomb and Ark in Space with a single striking (but still nicely photoshopped) image?
    Quite right, one of my fave covers was Dalek Invasion of Earth even if it did have a circle on it.

It's as though they have to get 20 rare photos on the cover to justify the use of Photoshop. Tomb looked excellent, but it would still take a practiced photoshopper five or ten minutes to do. This way they can waste hours and hours making it look like a great big mess.

It's on the way. How marvellous!

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It's on the way. How marvellous!

Si xx

mine hasn't been despatched yet -got an expected date of the 11th .

Where did you order from?

Si.

Me? I ordered from Play.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Where did you order from?

Si.

Amazon.

My Amazon copy was dispatched this morning apparently.