Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

mines's on it's way..

"Cheques Lies and Videotapes" is the best feature in ages. It told a fascinating story, showed lots of old video recorders, had a pretty lady talking about how much she loved rare Doctor Who, used clips in an imaginative and amusing way and did for video what the "home taping" feature did for the audio recorders of the 60s and 70s.

But somehow I doubt that in 20 years time the BBC will commission a fond, nostalgic look back at torrenting and how hard it was for fans who had to wait ten or fifteen minutes to download the DVD that came out the day before.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

We watched that this morning too! I thought it was fantastic, though it missed input from a certain Super-Fan who was the beating, blubbery heart of the videotape network.

Michael E Bryant has a whole new back story for the Cybermen! (On the Tin Man and The Witch). They all live in 'Cyberland' and have varying accents and personalities. Who knew!?

(Have patience, Larry!)
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

All of the documentaires on this set are quite superb. Especially Cheques, Lie and Videotape, which was wonderfully nostalgic. having been involved in the tail end of the pirate video days it brought back lots of memories, though of course, i wasn't silly enough to have actually paid £350 for a colour copy of The Silurians. I waited and got it for £16.99!

The Silly Nem documentary was really rather good too. Very different to the one on the video and abetweent he two you get a good idea of what went on making the story. It was lovely to hear people being positive about the story, which doesn't happen very often, and Kevin Clarke is wonderfully entertaining with his stories about scripting the story. Even Andrew Cartmel was less smug than usual!

Si xx

though it missed input from a certain Super-Fan who was the beating, blubbery heart of the videotape network.
    I can't imagine him ever admitting someone else had something he didn't, nor can I imagine him admitting he'd ever distributed pirated material to other fans. Besides, he was much too busy on the phone for the whole of the 1980s to have even considered the possibility of obtaining, watching or distributing bootleg material.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

He bought copies direct from the BBC at a huge cost anyway, so bypassed the whole pirate video network (though he may well have contributed stuff to it...)

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    He bought copies direct from the BBC at a huge cost anyway, so bypassed the whole pirate video network (though he may well have contributed stuff to it...)

Si xx
    No doubt he would have told us all that the only reason Frontier in Space was leaked was because he paid £3500 (or whatever it was) for his copy....
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Three and a half grand for Frontier In Space! Someone must have been laughing all the way to the bank on the day that changed hands.

Although what we got for the Silver Nemesis DVD was great, there's a whole raft of stuff that's missing. What happened to the out-take where Sylvester falls over? It's referred to in the commentary.

And why not anything on the 25th Anniversary Celebrations? Or a piece about the design of the Cybermen with stuff from David Banks?

And there seem to be some photos missing from the gallery, specifically a few snaps that have appeared on the cover of DWM!

I'm just greedy I guess.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    What happened to the out-take where Sylvester falls over? It's referred to in the commentary.
    I believe it's on the 'Clown Court' feature on the Delta and the Bannermen DVD.

I don't think there were any 25th Anniversary celebrations were there? No-one gave a fook by 1988!

Si.

I had a 25th anniversary sweatshirt, but even that was bought in 1989.

Si xx

Thinking about it, they put the closest thing we got to a celebration on the disc- the clip from the Web Planet that was in the Silly Nem trailer (which may possibly have come from my collection- it was one fo the things i sent to the RT)

Si xx

Are you guys kidding? We had First Day Covers, re-issued double Target novels bunched together with silvery covers and a DWM Special! It was an AMAZING time!

It was no 20th anniversary!

Si xx

Pfft. Call that a celebration? A first day cover, a re-issue of a couple of paperbacks and a magazine!

The magazine WAS awesome though. Inside, it promises that "Paradise Towers" can "never be repeated or commercially released" because of the scene wih the knife. It's true! You'll never be able to buy it! And, sure enough, in 2010 you cannot buy it anywhere today. So now you know why.

Si.

No-one seemed very upset about that at the time did they?

Mind you I'm still upset we never had Christopher Lillicrap as the Doctor in The Mega-Weird Experience.

Si xx

There's still time Si...

Wasn't he supposed to have done it by now Andrew?

Si xx

Apparently WHSmith's tills are ringing this up at £11.99 at the mo rather than £22.99... someone may be able to get a bargain if they're quick.

Si xx

Surely the centre piece of the 25th Anniversary celebrations was Dapol's 25th Anniversary playset? And when did it come out? 1989!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Apparently WHSmith's tills are ringing this up at £11.99 at the mo rather than £22.99... someone may be able to get a bargain if they're quick.

Si xx
    went o a WH Smith... and they have got rid of their DVD and CD section and replaced it with a Post Office!
    So I'll have to go to the other other WH Smith to take advantage of that offer.

And as far as the magic 25 number goes... did anyone else get "Doctor Who: 25 Glorious Years" by Peter Haining?
    I miss those coffee table books about Doctor Who. I suppose all books like that just start from 2005 now?

25 Glorious Years was my first Doctor Who factbook! FACT!

I got that Haining book but not until 1995!

I still liked it especially the section on merchandise and missing episodes.

I did not like the dodgy cut and past photos and the bizzare Hartnell holding a photo of Dodo thing.

watched the extras on Revenge, yesterday was a bit suprised at some of the mild complaints Hinchcliff, had about some aspects of the story and can't say I agree with them but then i've always liked this story.

likedthe bt on the videos and have to say I wasn't suprised one bit by the sort of prices some people were prepared to pay for a video of an episode they hadn't seen it's no different now you have some thing that is rare people will pay big money to own it.