Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

His complaints were justified perhaps in comparison to some of the other stories around it, but that doesn't mean it isn't entertaining in its own right. It's very entertaining, but perhaps not as sophisticated as the stories they would go on to do.

Steer clear of the commentary- it's pretty dull, though worth it for when David Collings remembers one of the lines from the story.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was going to order this from Play last night, but ended up going for S7 of Smallville on Bluray for the same price. It'll now have to joing the growing list of Classic Who I need to get with Twin Dilemma, Masque and Kamelion Tales....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Just got back from two weeks in sunny Cornwall at the weekend and got round to looking at the Revenge DVD. I was checking out the extras and thought it was great to see Barry Letts again - I was wondering how much more material on the various stories to come he completed..

I enjoyed the general feature on the story itself but best of all is the "cheques, lies and video tapes" one which in my view rates as one of the best extras for a while from the "golden era" £350 to see the Silurians back then equivalent to £800 now!!! - I totally identified with the excitement of seeing the rare stories particularly the five doctors repeats when I was a teenager back in '81 - couldn't wait till they got to the Pertwee one though

As for the forthcoming release - even in the short segment I thought they really struggled to make TATR look even midly exciting lol

Watched the Nemesis extras... they didn't waste much time on those... I was grateful

Better late than Nerva (Has anyone done that one yet?) I should be able to buy this tomorrow!

Watched Silly Nem last night. Extras were nothing to write home about. The story is a mess. It's only three episodes long and crams in Nazis, Cybermen, a secret from the Doctor's past, a weapon, a 17th century pair, and yet each episode still has time to cram in some silly subplot involving the Queen, skinheads and Dolores Grey. The Cybermen cut the Nemesis statue out of the rocket sled and then, for no apparent reason, stick it in Peinforte's tomb rather than, say, keeping it safe in their ship and letting the ones with the bow and the arrow come to them. Their gold vulnerability is absurd here (though the production subtitles reveal that it was rather better written in the script). It's just a rambling mess of a story.

I've never got the criticism of the gold vulnerability in this story. Every story has made it clear that Cybermen are destroyed when gold is forced into their chest units, suffocating them. So it's okay for a Cybermat to inject it, or a badge to be rubbed in, but not for it to be punctured by an arrow travelling at 60m per second. No, sorry, don't get it.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Every story has made it clear that Cybermen are destroyed when gold is forced into their chest units, suffocating them.
    Let's qualify that: two stories have made that clear, and in both of those it took significant effort to actually get the gold into their chest units (the Doctor and Harry fail completely in their first attempt, and the Doctor has to tackle the Cyberleader in Earthshock and even that doesn't actually kill him until nine blasts from his own weapon get fired into him point blank).

So it's okay for a Cybermat to inject it, or a badge to be rubbed in, but not for it to be punctured by an arrow travelling at 60m per second. No, sorry, don't get it.

Si.
    A gold tipped arrow would be useless, since gold is a very soft metal (as Harry points out to Sarah, and thus they escape from their gold shackles). Beaten into an arrowhead shape it should simply bend, not puncture the metal hide of an advanced alien that can't be harmed by bullets made of a harder metal going a lot faster. A gold coin flying from a catapult should just bounce off (see the point about bullets). If you got hit by a gold coin it would hurt but not break the skin, but apparently the Cybermen are so flimsy that it can puncture them and get in deep enough to kill immediately.

The problem is not with their vulnerability per se, but with the immediate and catastrophic effect it has on an otherwise invincible metal man. The script made the effect much slower acting, and had that made it to the final show the point would probably not be so contentious.

And the episodes would be a lot less exciting.

Si.

Why? Was the climax of Earthshock less exciting because it actually took some effort to kill the Cyberleader?

The idiocy of the situation is never more apparent than when De Flores claims his troops don't share the Cyber-allergy to golden arrows. I beg to differ - shoot a human with an arrow and they're going down, gold or no gold.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Well quite.

The point I am trying to get to is that you can make the story exciting without reducing the super-strong monsters to things that can be immediately killed by something that would make a normal person go 'ow' a bit.

Better late than never... finally got the box! And I'm going to watch Silver Nemesis first! Ha! Take that 2Entertain with your bourgeois running order!

although I will be watching the story in episode order... bit silly otherwise...

EDIT: One disappointing early evening visit to ASDA later... Uh, no. They didn't have it in stock. Sorry... I was a bit ahead of myself.
    Last edited by Dino; 6th Sep 2010 at 10:12 PM.

Ha! Now I've got it!
    I was prepared to forgive Silver Nemesis and let the nostalgia shout down the mess... until I saw the documentary and I'll give Kevin Clarke his due?
    He's got a pair between his legs to go to a meeting with no real idea of what he was actually going to write? Is it documented anywhere what the other rejected writers wanted to do? And then seeing the deleted scenes... it's tragic how a lot of amazing performances, that added depth to the characters, were cut from the actual show... and yet they still kept the skinheads in?
    And what's my punishment for watching the crowd of tourists at Arundel House... and not recognizing any of them?

Tomorrow "Revenge..."!

Crikey - thanks for pointing that out Si, that seems like a good price to me!

I suspect thats a misprice. It'll be interesting to see how many people get one.

I caught that price via Roobarbs, about an hour before Find DVD e-mailed me about it! My order seems to still stand at the moment, fingers crossed.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Mine does too. I've been waiting all day for the order cancelled email but so far it hasn't arrived.

Dear HMV Customer

We are writing to you in relation to your order for the following item:

Cat.No: BBCDVD2854 Barcode: 5051561028540 &nb sp; & nbsp;
    Artist: TV SCI FI &n bsp; &nbs p; &n bsp;
    Title : DOCTOR WHO (DR): REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN/SILVER NEMESIS: 2DVD: BOX SET

We are very sorry, but it has come to our attention that the item appeared on our web site with the incorrect price of £2.99, instead of £17.99. We will not therefore process your order.

The terms and conditions governing our online sales state that your order is only accepted, and a contract between us formed, when HMV receive payment for the goods you have ordered. HMV have not yet taken payment for the goods listed above, nor taken the final step of confirming the shipment of your order to you by email (please see point b. in the section entitled ‘The Contract Between US’ on the first page of our Terms and Conditions. We are therefore under no legal obligation to sell the item to you at the incorrect price.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this error. We don’t like having to take this course of action, and apologise that we have had to do so in this instance.

If you would still like to order the item at the retail price of £17.99, you may do so via the HMV web site.

Kind Regards,

The Online Customer Service Team
    Bugger! Just for a minute I was hopeful this might go through!

Well it was worth a try Paul- there was always a chance that they might have honoured it.

Si xx

Well given the financial trouble they're in they were probably never going to.
    If you work it out they would need to sell 6 copies at £2.99 to make up the sale price of 1. Of course no-one will buy it from them for £18 so they'll be stuck with a load of copies.

I got that e-mail too.

I'm annoyed as it was showing in stock when I ordered it.

I'd be interested to know just how many orders they got at £2.99 vs the number of orders at other prices.

Me too

I think I'll pass on £17.99
    Bazinga !