Thread: The Day Today

Default The Day Today

Any fans of Chris Morris' media pastiche on PS? And if so, can you recommend an episode I can show to someone tomorrow?

Si.

I'm a big fan of Chris Morris but haven't seen The Day Today in ages. Any episode would probably do. Brasseye is even better though. The Drug episode being my personal favourite.

Given the current climate of fearmongering and media manipulation, the War episode (no.5) might be suitable.

I'm also very fond of the third episode, which has The Queen and John Major fighting, and wild horses infesting the London Underground.

Here's Wiki's description of each episode if neither of those appeal.

1. "Main News Attack" (19 January 1994)

Features reports on Prince Charles volunteering to go to prison, the London Jam Festival, bullying in the Church of England, medieval alternative medicine, and a sheepdog piloting an out of control helicopter. Also features Barbara Wintergreen's report on the Elvis styled execution of American serial killer Chapman Baxter, and Alan Partridge covering the Tour de France and Boxing.

2. "The Big Report" (26 January 1994)

Features reports on the Junior Minister for health resigning, Marlon Brando being sold at auction in Sotheby's, illegal back street dentists, and Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan reporting on the new European trade quota rates. Also features The Pool, a documentary set in a public swimming pool, a segment from RokTV, and Alan Partridge covering the horse racing at Marple.

3. "Meganews" (2 February 1994)

Features reports on an infestation of wild horses in the London underground, the BBC's new soap opera The Bureau (replacing the Nine O'Clock News), a fight between Queen Elizabeth and John Major, and an air jam. Also features Barbara Wintergreen's report on Chapman Baxter being executed via marriage, a continuation of The Pool, and Alan Partridge interviewing soccer players and a female show jumper.

4. "Stretchcast" (9 February 1994)

Features reports on suspicions that British police officers are eating their suspects, Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan interviewing the government minister for ships regarding recent accusations, the IRA's use of explosives hidden in dogs, the immense popularity of The Bureau in Italy, the Home Office releasing the Sorted videos aimed at young people, and near-death experiences. Also features Barbara Wintergreen reporting on the natus (a method of prosthetic pregnancy), and Alan Partridge's Countdown to World Cup '94.

5. "Magnifivent" (16 February 1994)

Features reports on the British Pound being stolen, the plummeting ratings of The Bureau, the clamping of the homeless in London, a reminiscence of events in 1944, government ministers contracting a disease that inhibits reading, and the trade agreement and subsequent war between Australia and Hong Kong. Also features Barbara Wintergreen reporting on Chapman Baxter being executed by the reanimated corpse of his last victim, and Alan Partridge riding with a female rally driver.

6. "Newsatrolysis" a.k.a. "Factgasm" (23 February 1994)

Features reports on Buckingham Palace culling 40 members of staff, passengers stuck on a train in Hampshire, Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan reporting on General Motors making 35000 (sic) workers redundant, Colin Poppshed reporting from the gay desk, the decline of the NHS, and a roundup of international news. Also features a documentary set at the office of a pharmaceutical company, and Alan Partridge covering self-defence.

But I'm with Paul in preferring Brasseye, the Drugs and Sex episodes especially.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I can't remember specific episodes, but I remember really enjoying it when we watched the DVD a few years back.

Oh, hang on, Alex's post is useful. I liked the episode with The Pool docusoap

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

In 1979, no one died...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

The best one is the one with:

'Boof! Eat my goal! And the goalkeeper... has football pie... all over his face.'

Episode 4, I think.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Magnifivent is probably my favourite...

THAT'S IT! IT'S WAR!

Are you only supposed to show them one episode on it's own? Or can you show them one episode and the DVD extras?
    The Gerry Adams on heilum bit gets shown in all the clips, so personally I'd pick any other episode?
    Helpful...

I should explain that at work, once a week we watch a comedy episode at lunchtime on the big projector. It's a sort of social thing I organise - I pick four comedies and everyone votes on what they want to watch and then we sit and have lunch with the winner.

Anyway, "The Day Today" was joint with "The Black Adder" so I had to choose. I have decided to go with Blackadder for a few reasons - first, The Day Today does seem quite topical, and I'm not sure it would hold up. Also the DVD menu is over complicated (ironically, because it's clearly meant to parody over complicated new title sequences) and I can't seem to work the Episode Selection on my laptop.

So I'm going with Blackadder, which I think is the "safe" option.

Si.

The Day Today is too surreal to be topical! I beg you to reconsider Si!

Ditto! Okay, there's the odd political reference that youngsters might not get, but bar that it's fantastic stuff. Plus surely everyone's seen Blackadder millions of times?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

As with anything, certain bits have been seen millions of times but they tend to repeat the same bits. There are loads of great "Only Fools and Horses" episodes that people arn't familiar with.

As I mentioned, the DVD of "The Day Today" was tempramental in my laptop, so that sort of clinched it. I picked "The Queen Of Spains Beard" episode from the first Black Adder series and it went down very well.

Si.

Are all the 5 minute "extra bulletins" (or whatever they were called) on the DVD too?

They are included as an Easter Egg - including the one with Seve Ballerinabastard.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

My favourite segment is RokTV! Who realised Chris Morris was so versatile? ;-)

Especially as Kurt Cobain doing the Panty Smile advert!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!