Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WhiteCrow Guest

Default The story of John Titor

I remember first coming accross this internet urban legend back in 2003 time, though it interesting to reread.

The story is about a man who posted on the internet claiming to be a time traveller from the future making several wierd and wonderful claims about world events. He claimed to travel in a time machine built around a car (no really), and was stopping off in our time before going back to 1970 to pick up a computer part (no really) ...

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/...r_project.html

http://www.johntitor.com/

At some time in early November of 2000, someone showed up in a few Internet discussion boards calling themselves Timetravel_0. Over time, they then laid claim to the real name, John Titor, a time traveler from the year 2036. From there, the name John Titor will forever be embedded in the folklore of both alternative-topic boards like ATS, and the Internet as a whole.

As many will recall, one of the first things Titor did was post pictures of his time machine and his operations manual. As the days, weeks, and months went by, people began questioning Titor about his presence "in our timeline", the seeming impossibility of the physics of time travel and his thoughts about the issues of our time. He also posted on other Internet discussion boards including the old Art Bell site. In his posts John Titor often entertained, enraged, frightened and belittled those who engaged him in mostly one-sided conversation.

On March 24, 2001, John Titor announced he would be leaving our time and returning to 2036. After that, he was never heard from again. Speculation and investigation about who John Titor was and why he was online (curiously focusing his efforts on conspiracy community discussion boards) continues to this day.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor
    Last edited by WhiteCrow; 10th Jan 2007 at 11:58 PM.

But for the small fact that he predicted the United States would currently now be in the midst of civil war, it's utterly convincing.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    But for the small fact that he predicted the United States would currently now be in the midst of civil war, it's utterly convincing.

Si.
    Thats whats always fascinated me - it's someone out for a bit of one upmanship, telling a tale about the future designed to push some buttons. A lot of the responses and explanations are really well thought out, and many of them reasonably plausible.

But take a look closer and a lot of them are delibrately vague so that we fill in the blanks. He says America has an inept leader, we fill in he predicted George Bush. He says trouble in the Middle East, we fill in Iraq.

It's clever, but it's a hoax in my opinion.

What nonsense!

We won't invent a working time machine until 2044.

It's a very nice little bit of creative well... writing? It's hardly guerilla art, but it's an interesting manipulation of the anonymity of internet users.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Can't someone check birth records to see if there is a John Titor born in 1998? If he's supposed to come from a parallel Universe, why would any of his predictions happen in our Universe anyway?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Can't someone check birth records to see if there is a John Titor born in 1998? If he's supposed to come from a parallel Universe, why would any of his predictions happen in our Universe anyway?
    I've done some reading on it, and he admitted that it was a false name.

I'll post in a bit more detail once i've woken up properly.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

We had a thread on this on the old forum IIRC.

Make way for a naval officer!

Yes I remember it well, Nathan.

Dave Lewis Guest

I remember this thread well - I first saw it in 2016 at the PS Ten Year Anniversary meet, which was the point in history that I first arrived at, having travelled back from 2017 to try and change history and stop myself marrying a cloned horse for a drunken bet.

Having eaten the horse (which was a member of PS - look out for Dobbin41 if you're still around in about four years, when he wins the Derby, the Grand National, and I'm A Horse, Get Me Out Of Here), I was intrigued by the forum he was a moderator of, and travelled back in time to see the inception of "Planet Skaro". Alas, I overshot and ended up in 2001, and consequently had to spend a year and a half on the BBC boards before PS existed.

Any questions about the wonderful world of the future?

When does my spaceship arrive?! It's outragous that a princess of Karanzan has been stranded on this planet for over 30 years!
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Sounds to me an awful lot like Ray Bradbury's story 'The Toynbee Convector', in which a hoaxer prepares an elaborate scam and pretends to be from 50 or 100 years in the future. What he never banks on (or at least as I remember it) is living long enough to be shown up for the fraud he is.

Are you trying to tell me my spaceship isn't coming?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I read it on another forum under a paranormal section. It's an interesting use of the internet to create an urban legend.

Pip Madeley Guest

I first saw it in 2016 at the PS Ten Year Anniversary meet
    Forgive my pendantic-ish-ness, but we'd be 14

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    When does my spaceship arrive?! It's outragous that a princess of Karanzan has been stranded on this planet for over 30 years!
    Sadly, your spaceship was destroyed over Faliraki in 2014, Princess. The Solar Brothers collided with it as they were on their way back to pick up Leader Jeno. Due to a timing malfunction, they materialized in the wrong place/time and missed the Athens Olympics by ten years.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 11th Jan 2007 at 11:08 PM.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    Sadly, your spaceship was destroyed over Faliraki in 2014, Princess. The Solar Brothers collided with it as they were on their way back to pick up Leader Jeno. Due to a timing malfunction, they materialized in the wrong place/time and missed the Athens Olympics by ten years.
    Was it part of some cosmic anti-astrology protest? Did Mystic Karanzan know too much about the future? Was Batman at the controls?
    The conspiracy theories start here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    Forgive my pendantic-ish-ness, but we'd be 14
    You're forgetting the hiatus.
    Last edited by Nathan; 12th Jan 2007 at 11:24 AM.

Make way for a naval officer!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Was it part of some cosmic anti-astrology protest? Did Mystic Karanzan know too much about the future? Was Batman at the controls?
    The conspiracy theories start here.

I don't know about anything else, but I'd give them both an anti-arse protest.

Look who making a special guest star appearance in todays Wigu http://www.jjrowland.com/archive/20070112.html

Wayne Guest

I don't know about anything else, but I'd give them both an anti-arse protest.
    I bet you would, darlin'! :kiss

(whisper) Is Wayne drunk??

Wayne Guest

(whisper) Is Wayne drunk??
    Past tense now, You'll be relieved to know.

I've just read your private message...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    Shame I can't read that.

I kind of take a look at this silly urban legend every couple of years. For some reason reading up about the urban legend of Bonsai Cats led me back here!

There does seem a lot of fuss still about this, despite most of his claims for the future being dashed. "Ah", his supporters say, "that's because John Titor himself said there were multiple timelines, and his timeline isn't exactly ours".

The bottom line is this was one of those kind of manipulative arseholes who liked to play psychological mind-games with people. Yet it still makes a very compelling urban legend.

Coming up next ... don't flash your lights at the car ahead whose lights aren't on, cos they will shoot you as part of an induction into a gang.

There's an article on John Titor in this months Fortean Times. I haven't read it yet though.