Thread: Bad Lieutenant

Default Bad Lieutenant

No, not the film where Harvey Keitel... well, if you've seen it, you know what I mean and if you haven't, you don't want to. I mean the band which sprung up last year from the ashes of New Order.

Any takers? I remember a couple of the Steves are New Order fans - any opinion on (or have you even listened to any?) Bad Lieutenant, the spin-off featuring Barney and Phil Cunningham?

I only heard a song by them for the first time last month and was suprised - nay, delighted! - to find that it was brilliant. "Sink Or Swim" (probably nothing to do with Peter Davison) is on all of my playlists, mix CDs, etc. Despite being about 78, Barney Sumner is still a genius and still has that power to create the glorious melancholia of yore.

The album "Never Cry Another Tear" is on order; or it will be imminently. Anybody else know or care about Bad Lieutenant?

I've been tempted by this on a few occasions. I saw Barney doing an interview and playing acoustic versions of songs from this album (+ old New Order and Joy Division tracks) on a Sky Arts documentary. It was really rather good.

But then I assume that bands I used to like have all turned a bit crappy. A New Morning by Suede and Accelerate by REM are key examples of this.

It's unfair - Bernard Sumner has never let me down, I even love 'Twisted Tenderness' the magnificent but forgotten Electronic album.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I heard the single quite a bit on the radio, and although it sounded fairly 'ok', came to the decision I didn't need any (more) 'New Order Lite' tracks in my life/music collection. What was the score with Alex James, wasn't he meant to have something to do with it?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Bernard Sumner has never let me down, I even love 'Twisted Tenderness' the magnificent but forgotten Electronic album.
    Wise words - although I have to admit, this is possibily the only album he has been involved in I've listened to less is Still by Joy Division. Vivid was a stonking single though.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    I heard the single quite a bit on the radio, and although it sounded fairly 'ok', came to the decision I didn't need any (more) 'New Order Lite' tracks in my life/music collection. What was the score with Alex James, wasn't he meant to have something to do with it?

He plays on a few songs; as does Stephen Morris. Give them a go - they can't be any worse than Freebass.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    No, not the film where Harvey Keitel... well, if you've seen it
    I immediately saw the title of this and thought of Harvey Keitel pulling over a speeding car containing a couple of teen girls ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

That's the very sequence to which I was referring...

Give them a go - they can't be any worse than Freebass.

Unfortunately, I really didn't rate the last New Order album all that much (and I think you know how I feel about Republic), so I think I'll probably pass.

Have you listened to anything by Delphic? I think they sound quite a lot like New Order!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I saw a song on MTV2 (or whatever it's now called) the other week that was rather good - I think it was "Halcyon" but I'm not sure. I'll have to delve deeper, although I must admit, I don't recall immediately thinking of New Order.

Bad Lieutenant's stuff is - from what I've heard thus far - nothing like Republic.

That's the very sequence to which I was referring...
    It does put a new twist on the phrase "a cop on the beat".
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......