I'm currently reading 'Walking On Glass', one of Iain Banks' mainstream novels (although there does seem to be a fantasy element running through it!) and it's occurred to me that I've nearly read all of his books. I had a look at his Wiki entry:

His mainstream ones (published as Iain Banks) are:

The Wasp Factory (1984)
Walking on Glass (1985)
The Bridge (1986)
Espedair Street (1987)
Canal Dreams (1989)
The Crow Road (1992)
Complicity (1993)
Whit (1995)
A Song of Stone (1997)
The Business (1999)
Dead Air (2002)
Raw Spirit (2003) (travelogue)
The Steep Approach to Garbadale (2007)
Transition (2009)
And the Iain M Banks:

Consider Phlebas (1987)
The Player of Games (1988)
Use of Weapons (1990)
Against a Dark Background (1993)
State of The Art
Feersum Endjinn (1994)
Excession (1996)
Inversions (1998)
Look to Windward (2000)
The Algebraist (2004)
Matter (2008)
Of these, I think my favourites are The Wasp Factory, Excession (the first one I read!) Whit and The Player of Games, though I think most of his sci-fi ones are brilliant. The only one I wouldn't rate is Against A Dark Background, which was rather dull towards the end. I didn't think much of 'A Song of Stone' at the time either, even though I got a signed copy when he did an event at WH Smiths in Guildford.

His novels cover so many different areas and different styles. There are a few recurring themes, most usually separated and slightly insane families, which run through all his strands of fiction. He's also great at places, whether it's the wilds of Scotland or a GSV (one of the vast intelligent spaceships that run the Culture) I always feel as though I can see the place he's talking about.

But he's great on all fronts, characters, twists, thrills, plotting; he's simply a brilliant novelist. His new novels are always worth looking forward to.

So have you read any Iain Banks? If not, perhaps you should!