Default Morse returns on stage... with Colin Baker

http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/the...lin+Baker.html
    Eight years after the death of actor John Thaw, Inspector Morse, the character he played on screen from 1987 to 2000, will cross over to the stage for the first time – with former Doctor Who Colin Baker stepping into Thaw’s shoes.

House of Ghosts, a new stage play by Alma Cullen (author of four Morse screenplays) inspired by Colin Dexter’s original best-selling novels on which the TV series was also based, premieres on 27 August 2010 at Stevenage’s Gordon Craig Theatre before touring, until 4 December, to 14 other theatres, including a week at south London’s Richmond Theatre from 6 to 11 September.

The play sees the inscrutable Detective Chief Inspector Endeavour Morse looking to his past, when an old acquaintance becomes the lead suspect in a murder case that involves the on-stage death of a young actress. Baker will lead a cast of 15 in the premiere production directed by Robin Hurford and presented by Calibre Productions, the same company behind recent stage versions of Porridge, Dad’s Army and ‘Allo ‘Allo.

Producer Ed O’Driscoll said: “We’re keenly aware of our responsibility to the millions of fans of both the books and TV series and have tried to stay true to the spirit of Colin Dexter’s marvellous characters. At the same time, we’re obviously very excited by this unique opportunity to bring Morse to the stage with a new mystery to solve, that we’re sure will thrill audiences across the UK.”

Commenting on his new role, Colin Baker added: “More Morse! This in itself is exciting enough, but for me to have the opportunity to follow in John Thaw's footsteps and bring this sullen, intuitive intellectual to life on-stage, is both daunting and very exciting. Whilst revisiting the character in Dexter's novels, I am both appalled, and greatly encouraged to discover just how many characteristics I share with the great Inspector. It's a great and fiendishly clever script - I simply can't wait.”

After Stevenage and Richmond, House of Ghosts visits Oxford, York, Cardiff, Coventry, Malvern, Chelmsford, Newcastle, Wolverhampton, Derby, Woking, Poole and Southampton, with further dates and casting to be announced. Design is by Paul Willis.

Very unexpected, but it could be interesting. Colin's casting is certainly a surprise...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Colin's casting is certainly a surprise...
    I agree. Although, that said, there's something of grumpy old Morse in the original sixth Doctor. Interesting...

It does sound interesting... but I can't see Colin 'doing' Morse. It just seems wrong somehow.

It's going to be very difficult because John Thaw is so identified with the role. I think Colin is quite brave for taking it on, as it's going to eb a difficult task to play it like, but not do an impression of John Thaw.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    It does sound interesting... but I can't see Colin 'doing' Morse. It just seems wrong somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It's going to be very difficult because John Thaw is so identified with the role. I think Colin is quite brave for taking it on, as it's going to eb a difficult task to play it like, but not do an impression of John Thaw.

Si xx
    Well when I first saw the thread title I made myself laugh imagining a man dressed up as Sheila Hancock running onstage mid performance and scratchung at Colin going "YOU AREN'T JOHN THAW!!! YOU AREN'T JOHN THAAAWWWW!"

That said, I have nothing further to contribute to this thread, except to wish Colin the best of luck and I hope it gets good reviews!
    If he's that good... would ITV remake (?!?) Morse with Colin in the lead?
    Or would even more John Thaw fans then try to ambush him?
    So, this play the final piece of Morse?
    I admit, I hardly watched the series but I know how respected John Thaw was in that show.

Alma Cullen's "Morse" episodes are, in turn, good, excellent, dreadful and mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    Alma Cullen's "Morse" episodes are, in turn, good, excellent, dreadful and mediocre.
    Indeed - Fat Chance isn't really a Morse story

Given that, at least in the early books, Morse doesn't really come across as John Thaw's version, no need to see why CB couldn't be a good Morse. The radio versions, with John Shrapnel and Robert Glennister, are very different too, but still work.

I'd be interested in seeing this, unless the audience is full of rabid Morse fans from Planet Woodstock all wearing John Thaw T shirts

ETA: May be this could start a trend - Sylvester McCoy as Jim Taggert perhaps....
    Bazinga !

Peter Davison as Campion.

Oh.

May be this could start a trend - Sylvester McCoy as Jim Taggert perhaps....
    @ Jon.

Si xx

David Tennant was in Dixon of Dock Green...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    ETA: May be this could start a trend - Sylvester McCoy as Jim Taggert perhaps....
    I said something similar on Facebook just - will Colin Baker be upset when his show is shut down and replaced by Sylvester McCoy as Frost. But I think Sylv as Taggart works even better!

I do look at it and think it could work though - wish I could go see.

What other Doctor Whos could have been recast as famous detectives? When you get thinking about it there's a whole goldmine of fantasy league casting?

William Hartnell in the Sweeney?
    Maybe Patrick Troughton as Frost?
    Paul McGann as Sherlock Holmes?
    Chris Ecclestone in Life on Mars?
    Katy Manning as Miss Marple?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

If we can cross the pond, (the atlantic, not that woman) can we have Patrick Troughton as Columbo?

Or William Hartnell and David Tennant in Hardcastle and McCormick?
    Whattya mean you've never heard of Hardcastle &McCormick?
    It was about a judge "Sloow motion mannn" teaming up with this younger feller not sure if he was a private detective or lawyer but he used to drive around in a big red sports car?
    Yeah it may have been on in the 1980's? It was succesful! It got two whole series! You must have seen it?

Manning as Marple would be amazing.

And to drag the thread down further...

A-Team Dr Who (oh the irony!)

Hannibal Jon Pertwee
    Face David Tennant
    Murdoch Sylvester McCoy
    B.A. Baracus Colin Baker

Carole Ann Ford as Alex Drake in Ashes to Ashes!
    If only for her hysteria in the opening monologue!

I was hoping for William Hartnell as Columbo.

"Just one more thing dear boy, hmm?"