and very suprisingly the dustman have been today although they only took the bin bags.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Well, the ambulance chasers in Leeds are going to have a field day today because the pavements were like glass when I got off the bus at 8 this morning- murky conditions and people sliding around everywhere. I fell on my bum walking on the pavement and had to give up and try another way because I could see that the whole of the pavement and a pedestrian crossing I wanted to use were covered with ice.

Passing through Morrisons at lunchtime I noticed a sign saying that they couldn't clear the car park and entrance of snow and ice "due to the national gritting situation". So they don't sell table salt, then?

And on the subject of bin collections, ours have confused me today. Our normal collection day is a Thursday but they didn't come last week so the bag has been out there gathering snow- except today it's been collected, so I don't know whether they're intending to come tomorrow as well or not...
    Last edited by Captain Tancredi; 13th Jan 2010 at 9:02 PM.

Councils ignored cheap road salt offer

Up to 30 councils spurned an offer last year of thousands of tonnes of de-icing salt at a reduced price, to use on the roads this winter, the BBC has learned.

British Salt Director David Stephen made the offer from its 60,000 tonnes stockpile in April but had no takers.

The Local Government Association said every council had six days supply - the officially minimum recommended level of salt needed to meet demand.

However the LGA's David Sparks said the six-day advice may have to be revised.

Earlier this week Transport Secretary Lord Adonis warned that councils might have to ration their supplies of salt to cope with continuing cold weather.
    All very well, but if we HADN'T of had an unexpected month of snow, people would have said the councils had wasted money by buying in more salt than they needed.

I'm fed up of people expecting the councils to have the magic vision of hindsight. They only have so much money, and they can't spend it all on salt and snow ploughs on the offchance we get an exceptionally snowy winter. When we do, that doesn't make that decision wrong.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    All very well, but if we HADN'T of had an unexpected month of snow, people would have said the councils had wasted money by buying in more salt than they needed.

I'm fed up of people expecting the councils to have the magic vision of hindsight. They only have so much money, and they can't spend it all on salt and snow ploughs on the offchance we get an exceptionally snowy winter. When we do, that doesn't make that decision wrong.

Si.

sadly they can't win what ever they do but around the Wokingham area I can't complain to much as all the main roads are fine.

My only concern at the moment is I've got several orders from Amazon, that as yet haven't arrived I had an e-mail from them at the weekend/ start of the week saying they had been dispatched but so far nothing.

woke up this morning and the snow has nearly all gone

We've had no snow all week. This morning it's lashing with rain and blowing a gale, but at least the pavements are clear!

Some are saying it'll be back come Monday.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

This morning I woke up to lots of rain and most of the snow cleared.
    In fact it's gone the places that didn't have extra snow piled on top of it or was compacted over the last two weeks. There's odd bits on the roads now and still some by the kerbs, but it really does look like it's going.

However, the Met Office have just put out an advisory for Wednesday for the South East so I might have to rain-check the "it's going" line .
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

I'm glad to see the back of all the snow TBH. It's been a real struggle to walk through it, and as the council didn't clear the side streets and the main shopping terrace across the village, doubly so.
    I gather though that it's not the last we'll see of the snow this winter.

There doesn't seem to have been much flooding as the snows dried up, which is good news.

I was delighted when it fell at first, then I was sick of it, now I'm delighted it's gone.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    There doesn't seem to have been much flooding as the snows dried up, which is good news.

the fields around Hurst, were already pretty flooded before this last lot of snow came so I reckon it could be quite bad round there as the road side ditches were already overflowing. But here in Wokingham today it's a lovely Spring like day.

There is standing water on the main road between Bracknell and Crowthorne, so we haven't escaped completely scot-free
    Always have an Edge

Well, it's started snowing again this morning. I hope it doesn't even think of settling. What is it with snowy Wednesdays this year?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

We had sleety-snow from about 10am until 4.30. Has painted the grass white but not stuck to the roads.
    Bazinga !

Black skies and lightning over Basingstoke.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

That sounds like the first part of an old proverb.

"Black skies and lightning over Basingstoke....
    ... dawn brings fallow crops and poisoned smoke."

Si.

Dark clouds all around, lightning rain pouring down.

We had a flash of lightening about an hour ago over Guildford.
    it was raining, it brightened up, and now it's raining again

Wow! Isn't it hot?

Si xx

Scorching. Here in our Bishopsgate office in the heart of London we're debating when the right time is activate Bill and Ben, our twin air con units.

We tried to get out of Clacton in the heat yesterday evening and the car overheated so we had to turn back!

Si.

We seem to be trapped in a pepetual fog at the moment here. Maybe when I walk to the shops in a bit I'll find myself crossing time zones into the WWI zone. if I don't come back send an ambulance to look for me, would you?

How's it looking where you are today?

Si xx

Last night, I was travelling home from Yoga at 20:30 and there was awful fog - it was quite dense in places.

This morning the whole estate was covered in the stuff, the Hog's Back was bad (although I expected that) and so was Guildford.

But it's cleared up now and looks to be a fantastically sunny day (if a little chilly )
    Always have an Edge

It was raining heavily when I went to work last night, but somewhere between two and three o-clock it cleared up and turned into a thick, heavy frost, and as I don't use a de-icer it took some time to scrape it off my windscreen at six this morning, even though I was running the air-con inside the car.

Stick a newspaper under your windscreen wipers - that's supposed to work, doesn't it?!

Fog here too this morning and the jumper has made its first winter appearance today! A lady at work reckons we're in for another harsh winter as her cat has a very fluffy coat!

It was foggy again this evening.

Does the fog come out of rivers and trees - because that what it appears to do
    Always have an Edge