Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Stick a newspaper under your windscreen wipers - that's supposed to work, doesn't it?!

Yes, but as it was raining heavily when I got to work it would have turned into a soggy mess by the morning.

When I woke up this morning at about 6:30 it was hammering down outside - what I didn't realise was that it had been doing that most of the night. Out of our village, there are essentially four roads into town and then on out into the rest of Devon... three out of the four of them were unpassable this morning for our little car (no doubt a 4x4 or tractor would have been OK) due to flooding onto the roads. Luckily (since we had an appointment in Barnstaple for 9:50) the fourth one was OK, but it was a bit of a nerve-wracking drive.

This afternoon, though, blue skies & bright sunshine and most of the water has gone. Amazing how quick it all changes.

I saw the floods in Cornwall and thought of you Andrew!

Si.

Indeed, it was a lot worse just that bit further down from here, and thankfully our actual village is at the top of a hill - so the worst that could happen to us is being cut off (as we almost were today) than actually flooded at home. But it was quite frightening to see how quickly this sort of thing can happen.

It's been quite dark here all day, and about half an hour ago it started snowing! I blame the government cuts, and the gulf stream. It's freezing! It's going to get worse apparently, later this week.

Sort of snowing here on the Wirral... it began hailing about a few minutes ago and hasn't stopped.

For shame, I meant the jet stream! Huge shame!

There's about four inches of snow here, and it's one of those days I'm glad to be working at home. More snow forecast over the weekend, too.

Captain Tancredi Guest

There had obviously been a flurry last night (I'd been in Manchester all day) but nothing lasting- surprisingly we've had clear skies most of this week although I've invested in a fan heater to keep my flat warm (I'm not centrally heated and I have to make my own warmth in the bedroom).

The hail storm has finished. The rooftops are white as are the paths and roads.
    Just feel cheated we didn't get the soft snowfall! Instead the brutal scattergun. About an inch. Will try not to be too smug about doing all I had to do today half an hour ago.
    And I will tip him, but it didn't stop our Postman who did his rounds... wearing SHORTS!

been bloody cold down here in Berkshire this last even my cat who always gose out once he's had his breakfast has not wanted to go out - my sitting room is not the warmest room in the house and it's not helped by my radiator only being at about 90% capacity. It's the usual problem of trapped air and needs bleeding but the british gas engineer is not due to come for the anual service for a couple of weeks yet.

It's easy enough to bleed radiators if you have the key and a towel. However, not having a key myself I can't talk!

It's absolutely bloody freezing out there. Si and me went for a walk earlier and wished we hadn't. And the heating has been inadequate all day long, when usually it works fine. I've got the electric heater out of the loft... dreading getting up tomorrow morning!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Bleeding a radiatior is pretty easy as Steve said. Sounds like another nasty bout of weather.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Captain Tancredi Guest

It snowed here Friday night and we had an inch or two- last night I went into Leeds for a French conversation club I've just joined and very nearly turned around and came home because the pavements were like glass. Started up again at about 3.30 today for an hour- very pleasant sitting here reading and just watching it come down, but anything could happen as far as the journey into work tomorrow morning is concerned!

The snow has hit London. Although it's pelting it down outside, it's not really settling.

Looking at Metcheck, Bracknell is going to have sleet/snow for the next three weeks!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I had to abandon the car this morning, and the trains were being cancelled as I watched. I had a brilliant lesson planned for my yr 7's too
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    The snow has hit London. Although it's pelting it down outside, it's not really settling.

Looking at Metcheck, Bracknell is going to have sleet/snow for the next three weeks!
    Yes, and looking out the window now, it's really coming down here and beginning to settle. Still I've packed my wellies and a shovel in the car, so I should be OK (and I can walk if it gets really bad!)

The bunnies were staying in their bedroom area this morning! Very sensible.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Stuck at home because number one son's school is closed.

What a great shame
    Bazinga !

Captain Tancredi Guest

My bus to work came about 25 minutes late this morning and I grabbed more or less the last seat. Although this only meant I was about 15 minutes late into work, the real problems began at around 9.30 when heavy snow descended on Leeds from nowhere and it snowed solidly and heavily for about four hours. We were eventually let out of work at around 1.45 and I caught a train part of the way home, walking the last three miles.

On the bright side, I called in Waitrose on the way home and they were selling off all their sandwiches and baked stuff off cheaply, so I bought two sandwiches for my dinner, a fruit loaf and two apricot croissants for all of £1.12.

Walked about half a mile to the pub for a scout leaders meeting at 8 - compacted snow and sheet ice on roads and pavements.

Just walked back through 3-4 " of fresh snow on top !

Work already decided not to bother opening tomorrow
    Bazinga !

We've had a whole 1/2 inch so far!! And it's coming down slowly as I type.
    I love the snow & it's hardly hit here, how typical is that!?

We've had an inch or two overnight.
    A few cars have got up the road this morning - but I'm not attempting it.
    Basingstoke seems to have been hit pretty bad - again.

In Guildford where I work, the car park next to the office is closed. Everyone in my team, and most of the people in my department, are working from home - just like me
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Never seen snow like it in Sussex - when I went out this morning the total depth was at least 12 ", and its been snowing on and off all day (though pretty small flakes). Really light powdery stuff on the ground - you sink in pretty much to ground level when you try to walk on it.

College and schools already closed tomorrow.
    Bazinga !

Blimey! That's hardcore snow!

We've got away pretty well here- just an inch at the most has fallen, with no prospects at the moment of any more.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I've had seven inches.

Si.

But how much snow?