It's not looking too good today. It's snowing quite heavily here now and looks like it's set in for the day. We've had to cancel our family party in Bristol as it looks like the entire M4 corridor is set to be snow locked for most of the day, so setting out would be a bad idea.

So before it gets too bad we're off to do the food shopping and then we sit back in the warm for the rest of the weekend. Though we might make it out to the pub tomorrow, hopefully.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

We've got a bit... not enough to actually be snowed in, but enough for it to be a bit dubious driving anywhere. Yesterday morning I got the kids about quarter of a mile from school, but then couldn't get into town because the road was like glass... so they had an early start to the holidays, and I ended up walking in to work.

It's bright and sunny now, probably not enough to melt it but you never know. We're pretty lucky in that we're close enough to town (2-3 miles) that it's easy enough to walk in.... which is just as well, as I notice we're low on bread for a start!!

And tonight's our works Christmas Do...

You're right about the M4 Si, Bristol's pretty well blocked this morning.
    As for us, it's bright and sunny this morning and there seems to be a thaw happening atm and the main street in and out of the village is clear. I've been out and cleared our front doorstep and all the snow off the car and started her up to warm her up. Not really bothered though as I won't be going anywhere till Monday, but I think some of us in the street are going to have to get together and clear the way out.
    I haven't looked at a local forecast yet, but I think there may be more due sometime today/overnight.

After about an hour of snow yesterday people were sliding all over the road until someone had the great idea that some grit from a nearby bin would help get up the hill. (You can't get to the high street to leave Brackley without going up hill from where I live). But it stopped snowing after lunch & the roads were usable enough for me to get to Milton Keynes & finish my Christmas Shopping.

Today started with snow & it's still coming down, albeit not fast but consistently falling. 1 1/2 deep & not going anywhere as it hasn't been above freezing for days now. Yesterday it never got above -3 here & was -7 when the Missus got home last night. We are lucky in that we don't get it to bad here so when others are in deep do-do we are still able to cope....usually.

We got out to the supermarket and home. That was fine, although there are the usual twats on the road making it a menace for everyone. Why don't people clear their cars completely? It's madness! Madness!

There was a woman in Morrisons panicking about not panic buying!

Si xx

Got donw to the supermarket for 7am opening this morning, as the snow was forecast for later - plenty of frost but nothing else. Came out at 8ish to find it had started snowing, but made it home OK. Then had about 3-4" up to about 12 o'clock , since when the sun's been out and no more snow.

Hopefully some of this will clear a bit before it freezes tonight (due to go to Worthing for Mrs' works Christmas do), and will then have to judge what the rest of the country's got on before deciding whether to head to the Midlands tomorrow.
    Bazinga !

Jon, I'm between the M40 (10 miles) & the M1 (20 miles ish) & we have 5inches & still falling.
    If you're going anywhere near this area I wouldn't bother unless you know it's clear. It's snowing here so fast it's covering the grit.

Cheers, Tim. I do usually use the M40, and I'm keeping an eye on the BBC travel pages that say there's lots of problems all along there.

There are other ways up, but they involve main roads that I'd imagine are less likely to be clear than the mototrways. Will just have to keep fingers crossed for tomorrow, or I'll have to postpobne to later in the week.
    Bazinga !

Ended up with 12inches...or there abouts. But it had stopped snowing by midnight so if the snow plows have been out on the M40 you should be ok.
    I doubt we'll get any more soon as the cloud we have is thin whispy white & not the heavy dense cloud of yesterday.

Had several inches here in NE London yesterday and with temperatures hovering around 0C at best daytime and apparently -8 tonight it ain't going anywhere! I'd say it's the deepest snow I've seen here in the 17 years I've lived here! Journey to work will be interesting tomorrow - as will work itself as I've got trains stuck on the continent with heavy snowfall too!

It sounds like you guys are getting all the snow we're missing! We've had maybe 6in total so far this winter. It's Chicago so the weather here is anything but reliable, but your reports are almost making me feel a little left out.

Looks like more is coming in from the west over the course of tomorrow- probably hitting us tomorrow evening. Looks like I'll be stomping to work in my wellie and leaving the car at home all week.

Si xx

It's just starting again now. Hey ho.

Si xx

I'm jealous.

I must be the ONLY person not complaining about the snow.

I'm in Fleet, Hampshire and it's snowing moderately sized chunks of snow now -
    not the small bits it was doing earlier.

I will setting out this afternoon - on foot - to visit the high-street and do some Christmas shopping.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

It's been snowing steadily here all morning, I've just trudged down to the Co-Op to get some milk and it's very difficult walking in it as none of the roads have been cleared yet.
    I have to go to work tonight, I'll be phoning the factory at regular intervals through the afternoon to find out what's happening. At the moment I know they are still open and working, who knows what will happen when the afternoon shift start arriving, if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Had several inches here in NE London yesterday and with temperatures hovering around 0C at best daytime and apparently -8 tonight it ain't going anywhere! I'd say it's the deepest snow I've seen here in the 17 years I've lived here! Journey to work will be interesting tomorrow - as will work itself as I've got trains stuck on the continent with heavy snowfall too!
    I concur with that, not being that far from where Jonno lives. It was hardly worth coming into work on Saturday since we closed at opened at 10 and went home at 1 to let everyone who drove or caught the bus get home. The Lea Valley/Epping Forest area is rather hilly; thanks to the gradients, there's a few accidents waiting to happen and a lot of effort in getting up slopes when the snow strikes. It must at least triple travelling time to the neighbouring towns, these hills.

It's barely stopped all day, our street seems to be blocked at the bottom.
    Work is closed atm, none of the afternoon shift turned in. Factory manager has had a JCB there all afternoon and is expected to re-open the factory for the night shift. He's got no chance, I can't really see many of us going in, I will phone in but I won't be going tonight.

well the snow round here has pretty much all gone .

No more snow, but the paths are now entirely ice between my house and the train station. Should have worn ice-skates to work, it was really that bad!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    No more snow, but the paths are now entirely ice between my house and the train station. Should have worn ice-skates to work, it was really that bad!
    We have the same in South East London. We had rain a couple of days ago, which caused the snow to turn to a slushy wet mess. This has now frozen over and is quite treacherous in places.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

pretty much the same for me the pavements on the main roads seem ok but the backroads still have ice on them.

Cor! Isn't it hot today?

In Reading it's clouded over now; but earlier it was gorgeous
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

It was very hot here yesterday and my train home had no air con going it was very uncomfortable.

However, as I am due to fly out to Turkey next week, I checked their weather yesterday and the tem in the region I am travelling to was 43c.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?