Well, if you live South of Mordor - what do you expect
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Oh Joy.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...-BOILS-Britain

BRITAIN will roast in the hottest August ever with temperatures set to hit an unbearable 100F within weeks

An "explosion" of unstable air high in the atmosphere has created an "unusually elongated” jet stream which is poised to drag scorching highs in from the Continent and Africa sending thermometers soaring to dangerous levels around the UK.

The entire country will swelter in the highest summer temperatures for more than 300 years, putting even The Great Heatwave of 1906 firmly in the shade.
    The Great Heatwave lasted a week and was the most intense of the 20th Century, with temperatures exceeding 32C (90F) in the UK for 4 days running.

The warning that Britain now faces an even WORSE blast comes just days after scientists revealed "highly unusual activity" on the surface of the sun which sent huge solar flares spiralling towards earth.

More here: http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...-BOILS-Britain
    Always have an Edge

Well on the weather earlier it was said that although this July has been hot, it was not as hot as last July but this month is the 8th month in a row that is warmer than average. Which is presumably where the guess that August will be so hot.

My sleep pattern is completely screwed - waking up at about 5, then falling asleep at random during the day and only really coming to life at about 8pm. Then can't get to sleep until about 2am
    Bazinga !

Just bear in mind that the Express always harp on about the weather (and cures for arthritis!) I hope they're wrong (about the weather, not the arthritis!)

Indeed!

On the same site they're predicting that August will be rain and storms ;-)
    Always have an Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    ...then falling asleep at random during the day and only really coming to life at about 8pm.
    Isn't that what teachers do anyway?

So far - August is living up to the 'floods' expectation

With dropping temperatures and storms -

I expect this post to bring on the second heatwave of 2014
    Always have an Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Isn't that what teachers do anyway?

I wouldn't have the energy to reply to that normally, but luckily I've enjoyed an afternoon nap today.

Busy day at work, Tim ?
    Bazinga !

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Well, it's almost time for going into hibernation...

Maybe this website isn't 100% but forewarned is forearmed!

Heavy and persistent snow, freezing gales and sub-zero temperatures threaten to grind the country to a standstill for up to FIVE MONTHS, horrified long-range weather forecasters have warned.

The impending bout of extreme weather will come as a shock and forecasters have warned Britons should not to be lulled into a false sense of security by the recent mild conditions.

January is currently showing signs of temperatures hitting “record-breaking” lows meaning parts of the country could see the mercury plunge to -27C (-17F).

James Madden, forecaster for Exacta Weather said “significant snowfall” is likely in WEEKS with savage frosts and thick winter fogs threatening widespread misery.

He said: “Over the coming weeks and into November, it is likely to turn progressively colder, even very cold at times, in particular, in parts of the north as northern blocking becomes a somewhat more prominent feature.

“This is likely to bring some significant snow across higher ground within this period.

“This may also bring the first snow event of the season to some much lower levels of the country, in particular, in some parts to the north and east of the country, but these wintry weather events may also not necessarily be restricted to just these parts, and some much lower levels of the country could also experience their first taste of wintry weather for the season in terms of overnight snow or developing wintry showers.

“As the colder weather begins to take more of a stronghold throughout the latter part of October and into November, widespread frosts and dense fog patches will also become a quite prominent feature for many.”

A major Arctic freeze would follow what turned out last year to be the wettest winter since records began in 1910.

Britain was blighted by storms with 12 major events recorded between mid December and early January, according to the Met Office.

The mercury dropped to -7.7C (18F) in Altnaharra, Sutherland, having fallen lower every year for the previous 50 years.

A significant change is on the cards this winter with warnings to prepare for a whiteout on par to those of 2009/10 and 2010/11.

And if temperature records are broken as experts suggest, then thermometers could plunge below the -27.7C (-17F) recorded in Braemar, Scotland, on January 10, 1982.

Experts have warned that many may not be prepared for the a sudden onset of severe cold weather.

Malcolm Booth, chief executive of the National Federation of Occupational Pensioners, said: “The peculiar weather patterns that we are seeing may lull people into a flaw sense of security and they won’t protect themselves in terms of day to day life and flu jabs.

“The last set of winter death figures showed an increase which is concerning, if this year is particularly harsh they could be even worse, particularly with the increase in the cost of heating.”

Mr Madden said sudden changes in weather and pressure systems could drag swathes of freezing air from the Arctic across the UK with cold weather likely until next spring.

He said: “This allows cold easterly winds to develop and increases the risk of northern blocking across the UK.

“A number of potentially very cold periods of weather and major snow events are likely to develop throughout this winter across large parts of the country, in particular, throughout the latter part of December and into January.

“The worst case and more plausible scenario could bring something on a similar par to the winter of 2009/10, the coldest in 31 years, or an event close to 2010/11 which experienced the coldest December in 100 years.

“If any month could prove to be very severe or potentially record-breaking in terms of the cold and snow episodes that are likely to develop, then January looks like being the main contributor for this on current indications.

“February and into spring may also not escape an extension of these waves of cold and widespread snow at times.

“However, there are some conflicting signals for December at present, which could introduce some milder and rather unsettled interludes of weather at times to begin with.”

Though forecasters say it is still to early to agree on a definitive outlook for the coming winter they agree Britain could be in for an especially chilly one.

WeatherOnline forecaster Simon Keeling said: “Higher pressure [will build] in the Atlantic west of Ireland in December.

“This brings a colder, northwesterly flow. With low pressure passing eastwards, there will be bands of rain, sleet and snow.

“It is likely that higher pressure is a feature of the weather in the second half of the month, with cold and frosty conditions as well as fog.”

Netweather said: “Northern blocking is still shown to be in place into December, and that equates to forecast temperatures that are close to or slightly below-average across the UK.”
    http://yournewswire.com/winter-2014-...in-just-weeks/ which was itself cribbed from http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature...-snow-November

Snow in WEEKS!!!

I really hope they've got that forecast wrong!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It's foul out today - dark and rainy and horrid. My shoes are leaking and my trousers are wet. I need new shoes and a bigger brolly!

Si.

Heavy and persistent snow, freezing gales and sub-zero temperatures threaten to grind the country to a standstill for up to FIVE MONTHS, horrified long-range weather forecasters have warned.
    Was this the Express? Oh look it was! They run this headline a dozen times a year and so far every single one of their Weather Apocalypse forecasts has been wrong.
    http://themediablog.typepad.com/the-...headlines.html

Still pretty autumnal today - isn't it!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I believe someone has coined the phrase

Always have an Edge

I love one of Ronnie Barker's jokes - "Due to unforeseen circumstances, winter has arrived this year."

A Twitter update this morning:

South West Trains
    We are experiencing poor rail adhesion across parts of our network this morning. This is delaying some trains by up to 10 minutes.

https://twitter.com/SW_Trains/status/524443876552355840
    Always have an Edge

And you thought there was dodgy science in Doctor Who recently! Get out the superglue!

There's white stuff outside!
    Always have an Edge

Just a little of it here too.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Like a certain wicked witch, it's melting here.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip J Ludlam View Post
    There's white stuff outside!
    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Just a little of it here too.
    Dirty Boys!

Shock News: Britain Battered By Bracing Blasts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-32131049
    Always have an Edge