Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Yay! Snow here!

Best snow so far today. Its only a few inches but its a start. Perhaps i'll build a snowman/dalek later.

Here in central London, snow is a rare thing. I miss it. I miss the fact that all of Londons Transport stops running and I get paid to stay at home all day!
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Raston
    Whats your Favorite Snow related activity?
    Singing along to Snow's 'Informer' whilst prancing about the front garden in my underpants:

Informer (Snow)

#[INTRO]
    What's up man hey yo what's up?
    Yeah what's goin' on here?
    Sick an' tired of five-oh runnin' up on the block here
    You know what I'm sayin'?
    Yo Snow they came around here lookin' for you the other day
    Word word bust it

[CHORUS:]
    Informer
    You know say daddy me snow me-a (gonna) blame
    A licky boom-boom down
    'Tective man he say, say Daddy Me Snow me stab someone down the lane
    A licky boom-boom down

Police-a them-a they come and-a they blow down me door
    One him come crawl through through my window
    So they put me in the back the car at the station
    From that point on I reach my destination
    Well the destination reached in down-a East detention
    Where they whip down me pants look up me bottom

[CHORUS]

Bigger they are they think they have more power
    There on the phone me say that on hour
    Me for want to use it once and-a me call me lover
    Lover who me callin'-a the one Tammy
    And me love her in my heart down to my belly-a
    Yes say Daddy Me Snow me I feel cool and deadly
    Yes the one MC Shan and the one Daddy Snow
    Together we-a love 'em as a tornado

[CHORUS]

Listen to me ya better listen for me now
    Listen to me ya better listen for me now
    When-a me rock-a the microphone, me rock on steady-a
    Yes-a Daddy Me Snow me are the article don
    But the in an a-out a dance an they say, "Where ya come from?"
    People them say I come from Jamaica
    But me born and raised (in the ghetto) I want ya to know-a
    Pure black people man thats all I man know
    Yeah me shoes are-a tear up an-a my toes used to show-a
    Where me-a born in-a the one Toronto

[CHORUS]

Come with a nice young lady
    Intelligent, yes she gentle and irie
    Everywhere me go me never lef' her at all-ie
    Yes-a Daddy Snow me are the roam dance man-a
    Roam between-a dancin' in-a in-a nation-a
    You never know say Daddy Me Snow me are the boom shakata
    Me never lay-a down flat in-a one cardboard box-a
    Yes-a Daddy Me Snow me-a go reachin' out da top

[CHORUS]

Why would he? [repeat]

[MC Shan:]

Me sittin round cool with my jiggy jiggy girl
    Police knock my door, lick up my pal
    Rough me up and I cant do a thing
    Pick up my line when my telephone ring
    Take me to the station, black up my hands
    Trail me down 'cause I'm hangin with the Snowman
    What an I gonna do, I'm backed and I'm trapped
    Smack me in my face, took all of my gap
    They have no clues and they wanna get warmer
    But Shan won't turn informer

[CHORUS]

MC Shan was the daddy!
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 18th Jan 2007 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Police are getting warmer, but Milks won't turn informer...

Never mind snow, what about the freakin wind?!

Work closed at 1:30 today because tiles were blowing off the roof, which might have killed a few students. Took me three hours to get home though, because the trains were all cocked up.

I've been unable to walk down a street properly today, the wind has been that fierce and strong!
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Captain Tancredi Guest

My first day of about ten off work, so I didn't have much planned and didn't need to change plans at all- just went out to the bank and shops in the morning and to the bank again after lunch. It was wonderful- no pensioners out and about clogging the place up! Bit difficult walking against the wind on the way home, though.

Should also add that a hoarding just down the road from me came down a couple of hours ago and fell into the middle of the road- as it's just around the corner from a blind bend, I'm expecting to hear a few squealing brakes tonight. Two coppers came out a while back, took a look at it, realised they couldn't shift it themselves and left it...
    Last edited by Captain Tancredi; 18th Jan 2007 at 7:53 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

The tree outside our library was blown over with the wind, narrowly missing a colleague of mine. There's loads more trees fallen near our house, by the river.

It's been playing havoc with my hair, I tell thee.

Tell me about it. If you're like me, you get inside and you look like you've been dragged through a hedge.
    I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

I thought that was one of pastimes anyway!

due to Thursday's high winds there were a hell of a lot of trees down in the Reading and Wokingham area and sadly one person was killed when a tree hit his car on the A329 Reading Rd..

My garden fence has come loose from where it goes up to the brick wall and is leaning at such an angle towards the neighbour's garden that it's only a matter of time before it keels over.

I rang a local fencing place this morning to enquire about repairs, to be informed that the earliest they could fit me in would be the week after next! They can't/won't even give me a rough idea of the cost involved unless they see it.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Jonno, when I worked in insurance what we used to find was that after a storm, builders are after the big jobs- people who need the whole roof re-doing, that sort of thing- and tend to mop up the smaller jobs later. Used to cause us lots of grief when people who'd lost half a dozen slates rang up for help because they couldn't get anybody to come out for it- things being as they are, the builders would mop up the little jobs in the weeks afterwards.

Funny you mention that, Ian! My upstairs neighbour has seen me this afternoon to advise that we have some large holes in the roof and plenty of slates lost. She reckons the whole roof may need replacing, which would be a four figure sum!

I've rung my insurance company and, through the wonders of an automated system, I have a claim form en route to me. The way it works with our place (I'm in the ground floor flat) is that any external repairs are shared 50/50 between us. So I've told her to contact her insurance company too, and I'm assuming we'll both be OK to claim repairs on the insurance. Do you know if the insurance companies (they are different ones) would contact each other in terms of presumably splitting the costs 50/50?

As for the fence, I've tried another company who were much more friendly on the phone and can come and give me a no obligation free estimate on Friday morning. I've gone for that option. I do know that fences are not covered on home insurance, but hopefully it won't cost too much...

Pip Madeley Guest

Lot of trees fell round our way. At one point I was almost blown off my feet, it was scary!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Funny you mention that, Ian! My upstairs neighbour has seen me this afternoon to advise that we have some large holes in the roof and plenty of slates lost. She reckons the whole roof may need replacing, which would be a four figure sum!

I've rung my insurance company and, through the wonders of an automated system, I have a claim form en route to me. The way it works with our place (I'm in the ground floor flat) is that any external repairs are shared 50/50 between us. So I've told her to contact her insurance company too, and I'm assuming we'll both be OK to claim repairs on the insurance. Do you know if the insurance companies (they are different ones) would contact each other in terms of presumably splitting the costs 50/50?
    It may be possible for you to play the system depending on whether either of the insurance companies will do the repairs themselves, which would make it easier for you. Normally one insurance company will take the lead and settle the claim and contact the other company at the end of the claim to recover a share of the costs- in a situation like yours, it'd probably be your neighbour's who would process the claim as her flat is the one most evidently damaged. It shouldn't be necessary for you to be involved that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    Lot of trees fell round our way. At one point I was almost blown off my feet, it was scary!

when I was waiting for my taxi to pick me up after work I was just hanging oon very tightly to a step rail out side my office but as i've said before I hate the wind as being unsteady on my legs your all ways frightend to even mov in case your blown over..

Pip Madeley Guest

I've never experienced anything like it before - I was barely out of nappies during the 1987 hurricane...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    I've never experienced anything like it before - I was barely out of nappies during the 1987 hurricane...

thanks a lot mate you make me feel so old..

What a mixed bag of weather we've had today.
    At about 3 this afternoon while I was out with the dog, the wind started picking up, and got a bit rough. Around six o clock I saw something flash across the window and seconds later a really loud thunderclap, but no rain. I looked out a short time later and saw that the wind was still fairly high.
    The thunder has rolled around for most of the evening, it's upset the dog once or twice, and about an hour ago we had a hailstorm, with some really large stones I can tell you.
    Say what you will, I've never known weather like this at this time of year.
    According to forecasts it's going to turn colder over the next few days, we go from one extreme to the other don't we.

We've had yet another flood in Shrewsbury (though the water's not as high as last time), the wind's picking up again, and apparently there's snow on the way!!

even the weather in Russia,has been a bit odd of late normaly this time of year in Moscow it normaly on average around -20 odd but at the moment they have been suffering a heat wave in the last week or so with temperatures hovering around freezing 0 degrees.

And on the other hand much of the US has been having ice storms!

"Listen to that! It's the sound of the planet screaming out its rage!"

this winters crazy weather continued today with a lovely mild and sunny day here in berkshire..

We've been out to the retail park at Bridgend today, it was a lovely drive down the motorway, nice and quiet, and a lovely lunch in the Harvesters. But the weather, as unpredictable as ever, was like an early spring day, the sky was clear, there was no sign of any wind or showers, it was quite lovely. The calm before the storm perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    We've been out to the retail park at Bridgend today, it was a lovely drive down the motorway, nice and quiet, and a lovely lunch in the Harvesters. But the weather, as unpredictable as ever, was like an early spring day, the sky was clear, there was no sign of any wind or showers, it was quite lovely. The calm before the storm perhaps?

well appapantly the weathermen are predicting colder weather for this week..