Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

We had another heavy snowfall yesterday afternoon, probably the most I've seen in a long time. We tried to close the day centre early and got our service users home as soon as possible, sending home the staff who had to drive some distance. However, my colleague Lindset and I still had to wait until 4.00, for two of the service users to be picked up by taxi, so I never got away early myself!

I walked home, as per usual, but whereas it normally takes about half an hour or so, it took just over an hour. At first it was quite nice, and although the it was coming down thick and fast, I enjoyed walking in the deep, crisp snow. However, by the time I got to town, and I was walking up a hill, the snow was grey, wet and slushy and I just wanted to get home!

By the evening, I think it was turning to sleet, and it actually rained a little this morning, but there is still a lot of snow on the ground. I think we're supposed to be getting more tomorrow, too.

Yep, something is definitely wrong with the climate when Olde England has more snow on the ground than New England!

And be glad you're not in Oswego County, New York, on the eastern side of Lake Ontario... some parts of that county have gotten 7 feet, yes I said feet, of snow in the past week.
    Arisia Corporate President
    Assistant DivHead - Events, Arisia 2011

And be glad you're not in Oswego County, New York, on the eastern side of Lake Ontario... some parts of that county have gotten 7 feet, yes I said feet, of snow in the past week.
    And we have a whinging, moaning fit about a light sprinkling of snow. Looking at the papers you'd think we'd had 50 feet of the stuff.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The snow in Wales had a slight effect on my work yesterday - one of the rail terminals in Cardiff couldn't unload a wagon so I couldn't do anything with it, and some of our Welsh customers left work early in the afternoon to get home!

Captain Tancredi Guest

About an inch and a half overnight which is now about halfway melted- the only thing is that there's still a lot of slush around, so it's probably not surprising that my bus home was right behind a minor prang on the main road. Basically at one point there's a right turn for a hotel with a small filter lane, but it's on a downhill stretch after a sharp bend and one guy didn't turn quickly enough for a small van coming downhill intending to make the same turn and the van had one of his lights put out.

It's all gone! Well that's winter over with.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Just checked BBCi and the forecast for four out of the next five days is for havy rain- best get started with that ark...

been a reasonably mild day here in the Royal County the snow of a few days ago is now a distant memory..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    ...the snow of a few days ago is now a distant memory..
    Too right, it's a horribly grey, and very wet Sunday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    Too right, it's a horribly grey, and very wet Sunday morning.
    not wet here but just very dull and grey..

It's brightened up now. I've been out with the dog and it was quite pleasant and sunny. There are still a few mounds of the more stubborn snow left, but they'll soon be gone once the sun gets to them.

What a beautiful Summer this is turning out to be... it's raining.
    Tom Simpson
    My Top Three: "The War Games", "The Caves of Androzani" & "Time-Flight".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Simpson View Post
    Again - that's like the third summer in a row? Is it me or is it since Gordon Brown took over ...

Or more likely since I took up cricket.

If you want schitzofrenic weather though you can't beat Wellington. Thursday we had some of the worst storms I've ever experienced. Over this weekend I do believe my wife has got sunburnt.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Simpson View Post

and I seem to recall the so called experts saying it was going to be a hot one apart from a few successive days of hot weather it seems every day this summer has been a mix of sunshine and showers.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Again - that's like the third summer in a row? Is it me or is it since Gordon Brown took over ...

Or more likely since I took up cricket.
    Probably a bit of both and a soupcon of typical bloody British summer.

[QUOTE+WhiteCrowNZ;209252]If you want schitzofrenic weather though you can't beat Wellington. Thursday we had some of the worst storms I've ever experienced. Over this weekend I do believe my wife has got sunburnt.[/QUOTE]

For schitzophrenic weather, you can't beat New Zealand full stop! I've a friend who moved here from Christchurch, and she says exactly that about it.

We had a very nice week in Yaaarkshire. Variable weather, but there was enough sun to make it a good holiday.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

We're having lots of very heavy snow showers here this afternoon. Good thing they're not too sustained as it seems to be settling now, and I want to make it to my Christmas Do tonight!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Now that I've started work, I can't be arsed with snow!

I've never actually driven in snow before, come to think of it.

Nor me

Si xx

Make sure there is plenty of tread on your tyres, i.e they've been checked lately as part of a service or MOT, Martin. I had a nightmare trying to crawl up icy roads with threadbare tyres a few years ago!

Si.

I only had the MOT recently, so they should be fine...I think! I tend to go along a lot of winding, country roads though...I may have to change my route!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    We're having lots of very heavy snow showers here this afternoon. Good thing they're not too sustained as it seems to be settling now, and I want to make it to my Christmas Do tonight!

Si xx

seems we missed them hear in Wokingham, we had a brief flurry around 3pm but that was about it.

Anyone snowed in this morning?

We've had a few cms of snow overnight, but nothing as bad as in Kent or Surrey.

Si xx

Morning everyone! We've had our share overnight but hopefully the trains are ok! Everywhere looks lovely though!

Si. :mobile

We only had a little bit of snow, it never seems to do much right on the coast. What there is in the garden is currently being eaten by my dogs!