Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

The snow's stopped for a bit now. For how long remains to be seen. We'll see how long it takes Steve to get home tonight though.

Lisa, who gave me a lift home tonight , hadn't made it to the other side of Bracknell half an hour ago. That's about 3 or 4 miles away.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Three and a half hours it took me to get home tonight. It normally only takes me just over an hour. Southeastern got into a right mess once the snow started to come down this evening. Not only do the trains stop running, their tannoys and the ability to make announcements letting passengers know what is going on stop working too.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    You wear glasses?

Si.
    Only for 3 years or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie McCrimmon View Post
    It's mad how snow can cripple such a technologically advanced species!
    Doesn't it take councils "completely by surprise" every year?
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Indeed! And we seem to struggle a lot more than other countries, despite how often it snows here.

I really chose the wrong day to finish off my Christmas shopping today, it rained for half the day, and then snowed for the other half. It got horribly slippery towards the end of my journey as well, which I hate as I'm terrified I'll slip over and break a limb again. I know it's unlikely, considering how many other times I've slipped or fallen over in the past and not broken anything (and I used to be far more accident prone than I am now) but this weather just freaks me out a lot.

Funnily enough I checked the weather reports on Saturday when deciding what day to go out shopping, and it said that Monday would be a cold but clear day, and there definitely wouldn't be any snow in London...
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I wonder how Steve is doing.

Si xx

Alex my wife has similar fear about slipping over and putting her back out.

I guess this sounds like a repeat of Februarys weather, where there just wasn't enough grit kept by the councils to counteract, and they were all caught completely by surprise. I got an email from my mum last night saying it was snowing, and they were having trouble, but I thought she was just being dramatic.

Si - I hope Steve makes it back before too long - he's going to be exhausted when he does. Hope he thinks twice before heading back tomorrow.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Is there a hotel near work Steve can stay in if it happens again? I know some people at my work were contemplating it.

Although a bit icy, the main road to work tonight wasn't too bad, but in the street leading to the factory cars were double parked and with a narrow strip of ice down the middle of the road. I found that was where I had to be the most careful.
    With a freeze expected tonight I'm gonna have to be extra careful on my way home in the morning.

Did Steve get back ok??

Si. :mobile

Yes. At 1am. I'm very tired this morning!

Si xx

Is today generally being written off over there then?

Hope anyone thinking of travelling is keeping a mini survival kit in the car just in case. It sounds horrible.

Well I'll be walking to work to rescue the car shortly.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Well I'll be walking to work to rescue the car shortly.

Si xx

well Radio Berkshire have been advising people not to travell to Basingstoke unless absoloutly necessary so Steve might get to his car weather he'll get it home is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Indeed! And we seem to struggle a lot more than other countries, despite how often it snows here.

well people from other countries in central and eastern europe plus Scandinvian countries must laugh at us and the caos caused by what to them would of been just a thin dusting of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    You wear glasses?

Si.
    Umm, yes, for over three years, and I've had them on every time I've met you in that time... Check the PS meet photos if you don't believe me!

It's OK, it's my car I abandoned Larry- so it's only a few minutes up the road from home.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    well people from other countries in central and eastern europe plus Scandinvian countries must laugh at us and the caos caused by what to them would of been just a thin dusting of snow.
    I think that's a little harsh. They cope because they have so much snow that (a) they don't need to clear the roads and (b) they fit chains to their wheels.

That's fine when you're guarenteed to have the roads covered in a good 6" or more for the whole network for a reasonable length of time. Not so good if you've only got a 1" and only on side roads.

Our local news is full of people bellyaching that councils haven't done enough to clear their road / their bit of pavement / the car park they want to park in. The same people who moan every time the council tax goes up.

The only other annoying thing is the trite phrase 'only go out if your journey is necessary'. Do they imagnine there are hundreds of people who just go out in their cars in this weather for a bit of a dive about ?
    Bazinga !

The council could invest in a fleet of 100 snow ploughs, but what are they going to do on the 360 days a year where it isn't snowing?

Plus grit is expensive and not the nicest thing to spread everywhere, because it can be quite corrosive. When I was working at Legoland and we opened during the winter, we gritted the metal turntable of the 'Spinning Spider' ride. By spring it had rusted through.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Umm, yes, for over three years, and I've had them on every time I've met you in that time... Check the PS meet photos if you don't believe me!
    @ Jason

I always say its a bit like when someone changes a picture and you don't notice and then you do and they say its been there the last two times. Sometimes Simon and I go out for the day and in the evening I say "ooh you're not wearing glasses!"

Si. :mobile

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    it looks like Manchester has seen the last of the snow for now
    Spoke too soon - it's back with a vengeance now... so glad I've not got any travel plans for Christmas!

quite a change from this time yesterday it's faily bright with intervals of sunshine but the snow is beginning to melt.

Just got an email from my mum - sounds like they turned Debenhams into a crisis centre for people to stay overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    quite a change from this time yesterday it's faily bright with intervals of sunshine but the snow is beginning to melt.
    So after all this - not even a white christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post

So after all this - not even a white christmas?

well it was -9 here in Berkshire over night with only two days to go chances are there will still be a bit of snow about some where on Christmas Day. They were predicting rain for tomorrow so chances are there won't be any snow round here.