Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

My test drive has been called off. I am supposed to have 3 appointments with employment agencies over the next 2 days, I really need this to clear.

About 1 inch of snow in Morden this morning, but no real problems getting into London. There's a small flutter outside at the moment but I doubt it'll settle.

We had about 7 inches over night. The schools are closed, both Jody and I are working from home. Not sure how it'll pan out tomorrow and the rest of the week.

I've just cleared the snow from my car; even though it's still snowing!

At least there will be less snow to clear tomorrow - or when I next move the car!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Phil L View Post
    I've just cleared the snow from my car; even though it's still snowing!

!

isn't that a bit like giving your car a wash while it's pooring with rain..

Snowing reasonably heavily here in London now...

It hasn't stopped here... that's about 18 hours now.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

As I got into work last night a number of people were already 'phoning in to say they couldn't make it.
    I only live a few minutes from work so it was fairly easy for me, and a few other locals to get there. By 11 o clock I had two drivers on the bay waiting to be unloaded, one of the drivers was from France, he was late and should have been there for six o clock, the other driver, from Bristol, was early, but both said how difficult it was becoming on the roads and neither were looking forward to driving back with their trailers now empty.
    There weren't enough people in work to run our current production needs (two lines) so what was left from the afternoon shift we ran out and some of the production people decided they would leave early, the remaining few left in dribs and drabs throughout the rest of the shift.
    With my two deliveries I was kept busy until 1 o clock, I then noticed how cold the factory was becoming with nothing going on, by this time of course the snow, South Wales' heaviest in a good number of years, was pelting down.
    Just before 3 o clock I was sat in the canteen eating my rolls and looking out the window and thinking **** this, I'm off.
    It was snowing quite heavily when I got out into the car park, cars were absolutely covered, as fast as I was scraping the snow off the car it was getting covered again.
    As my journey home is all downhill I took my time, hoping I wouldn't skid into any parked cars, but, even though the snow was driving head on into the car, taking my time I got home safely. Where it usually takes me around five minutes to get to and from work, this journey took me almost an hour. I'd never driven in conditions like that and hope not to do so again.
    I was up just after half twelve today, it was still snowing but lightly, I've had to go out and get some milk, it gave me a chance to look at the road conditions. There wasn't much traffic about the village, and paths and pavements are liberally covered with the white stuff, making them difficult to walk on.
    I later went out on our front doorstep to clear the step and take a look at the car and clear some snow away. Looking up at the sky I realised it looked full for another fall of snow and made the decision not to go to work tonight. I should think that after five this evening it'll start to freeze, and, yes, looking at the forecast, more is expected.
    The dogs had fun out there, a few snowball fights and running up and down the road yapping at it falling off the trees, I've also left a large snowball on the pavement under our window, I might just pop out again a little later and make it a bit bigger and maybe find a nice branch I can stick in it as a V sign for our miserable and unsocial neighbours just up the street.
    Last edited by Stephen Morgan; 6th Jan 2010 at 3:55 PM.

Well, I've been following all the snow with interest from out here in the USA. I hear that it's only meant to get worse over the next few days? I'm bracing myself for the possibility that my flight on Friday may be canceled. I wouldn't be heart-broken if it were, as I'd get more time with my fiancée!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

It has been snowing here constantly. Sure it has lessoned up from time to time, but it hasn't stopped for the whole of today.

Now you can't tell that two tracks were dug up the street and my neighbour cleared their drive!

It's also quite windy - the snow is falling in an almost horizontal direction and tree branches are waving about.
    Always have an Edge

Work closed at 3 today but it's actually been easy getting to and from there by train. No delays or nothing despite it snowing most of the morning and last night.

Just had an automated message to say our school is shut again tomorrow
    Bazinga !

It's also quite windy - the snow is falling in an almost horizontal direction and tree branches are waving about.
    Which is just what we need- we've already had one large branch come down and smash down part of the fence. Hope nothing else comes down in the night.

At least the snow has stopped, for now at least.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It hasn't stopped here... that's about 18 hours now.

Si xx

it stopped around 4pm - this morning it was just a few flakes coming down but around 2pm it really started to come down very heavy

I made a decision early this afternoon not to go in to work. I took a look at our street earlier this evening, because we live in a cul-de-sac no cars hve been up or down it today, all the neighbours are in the same boat. the street is totally frozen up this evening. It has taken me over an hour to get hold of someone in work to say I won't be in. The phones have been constantly engaged with everyone else ringing in.

Managed to leave work an hour early today - mainly because my other colleague who was in today lives south of London and commutes by train and had difficulty in the morning and it was snwoing heavily in the afternoon.

Leaving early isn't much of a benefit though as I'm on call this week and have already had a call I was semi-dreading - one of our trains is stuck in Kent headed towards the Tunnel with a backlog of trains held up because of the snow. I'm just hoping I don't keep getting disturbed through the night...

Looks like we're at least attempting to open up today, so I'll be off to slide to work shortly.

Si xx

I went to the station today but an overhead cable had come down, so I was sent back!

I now hear it's fixed but to be honest I'm settled working at home and no-one else has made it into the office, so I think it'd be a bit pointless to trek in now. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Si.

I made it in today but probably have a rather bruised bum from where I slipped over twice on some very icy steps. I think I'll find an alternative way home!

Si xx

Well, last night I got a lift home an hour early, but it still took me four hours to get home. I phoned in this morning and apparently some people didn't get home at all and had to stay with some of the people who live ocally to the office!

I'm working from home today.
    The only people getting up our road seem to be on foot today.

The Met Office are now predicting snow between 12 and 2 today; and more snow to come on Sunday and Monday!
    Always have an Edge

have been listening to Radio Berkshire, over the last few days and think it's utterly ridiculous that nearly all the schools in the area are closed it dose leave you thinking What would happen if this snow remained for another month would all the schools remain shut

. I can remember several times back in the early 80's we had a couple of severe winters where the snow lay on the ground for weeks and my school never once closed. But then in a country that has become so obcessed with health and safety regulations should we really be suprised that one bit of bad weather and all the schools shut.

the sun is now breaking through.

The 'angle' on the news this morning was "What will be the effect on pupils from the schools closing? And how will businesses deal with it?"

Ridiculous. I'm sure pupils will not have their futures irrepairably damaged by a day off from classes.

I've decided the current 'dramarama' generation is entirely down to the advent of 24 hour news channels. They have to report on something to fill the air time, so they just pick things that don't matter and try and make them sound life-threatening. Together with "Eastenders", we're breeding a generation that can't have a poo without turning it into a personal crisis.

"We've been through hell!" said one woman yesterday, because she couldn't get to work. Stick her in the army for six months, maybe she'll then have more of an appreciation of what "hell" is.

What happened to the Dunkirk spirit anyway?

Si.

We're just doing a half day today as more snow is forecast for lunchtime... we're playing it by ear (and weather!) for the rest fo the week right now, but hopefully we won't be doing the late night tomorrow.

Si xx