Default Ronnie James Dio... RIP

Yesterday, one of the brightest lights in the world of heavy metal went out, passing away from stomach cancer at the age of 67.

Ronnie James Dio first gained fame with his band Elf in the late 60s and early 70s. Following Ritchie Blackmore's split with Deep Purple, the two came together to form Rainbow in 1975, and sang on three albums with the band. He later became Ozzy Osbourne's replacement in Black Sabbath, releasing three outstanding studio albums with them, as well as a live album. He's had an astronomical solo career, with ten studio albums and numerous live albums, before reuniting with his former Black Sabbath bandmates in 2006 to form Heaven and Hell (due to legal issues with Osbourne, they couldn't call themselves Black Sabbath).

Dio was a big part of my teenage years, and had been one of my absolute idols. He had such a fantastic and powerful voice, and played a hand in writing some of the definitive songs in heavy metal - Heaven and Hell, Last in Line, Holy Diver and Rainbow in the Dark, to name just a few. His vocal style inspired many other singers and bands.

There was no-one as well respected in the heavy metal world as Dio. The only person with a bad thing to say about him was Ozzy Osbourne. He has collaborated over the years with artists such as David Coverdale, Roger Glover, Ian Gillan, Pat Boone(!), Queensryche, Tenacious D and Girlschool. His popularity in the metal world enabled him to bring together a charity band in 1986 called Hear 'n' Aid (yes, seriously! Link directs to YouTube video of the song), which raised money for famine relief in Africa.

I've been reading the tributes as they've been flooding into a metal news website that I occasionally read (blabbermouth.com), and it's been heartwarming to see tributes from so many bands of all different types - some of the more famous ones include Brian May, Iron Maiden, Tony Iommi, Queensryche, Motley Crue, Billy Corgan, Metallica, KISS, Judas Priest, Dream Theater, Sebastian Bach, David Coverdale and Twisted Sister. Most of the statements have described him as "one of the kindest people you could've ever met."

Yesterday, a big part of my teenage years passed on to the great gig in the sky: Jimmy Hendrix, Cliff Burton and John Bonham have finally found themselves a vocalist.

Ronnie James Dio, requiescat in pace.

Ant x

Tenacious D has a brilliant tribute song (not Tribute) called Dio.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Tenacious D has a brilliant tribute song (not Tribute) called Dio.
    Yup, and he had a guest role in their movie, in the track Kickapoo, whilst Tenacious D appeared in his video for Push!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

This news saddened me, because in my teenage years I bought the Holy Diver and Last In Line LPs on vinyl - they're still in my collection, and I also in recent years bought two anthologies on CD. Actually, am I right in thinking I lent those to you, Ant, or is that a false memory of mine?

Time to give those LPs a whirl soon methinks - RIP Ronnie.

Jonno, I don't know if you physically lent them to me, but you certainly got them to me somehow... ~ahem!~

But yes, I've been on a bit of a Dio splurge this week, listening to Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Dio, all in memoriam. Certainly, he will be missed!

Ant x

Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----

Very sad news. A colourful character, and almost the eiptome of the heavy metal vocalist. Weren't Heaven and Hell touring this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    Very sad news. A colourful character, and almost the eiptome of the heavy metal vocalist. Weren't Heaven and Hell touring this summer?
    They were meant to be, but they cancelled all their scheduled dates at the beginning of May. I'm guessing that the end was looking nigh for Dio

Ant x

----

I was sad to hear the news as wel, he was a great character, which came over in the manyinterviews I've read over the year. Unfortunately I haven't heard much of his stuff from recent years, probably the last decade or so, but no doubt I'll rectify this shortly.

Thanks for the link to the Hear' n' Aid single, Ant...not that I needed reminding, I bought it at the time! The single is still in a box up in the loft...