Default iTunes Playlist Query

The "25 Most Played Songs" playlist in iTunes is potentially the most exciting thing ever, as it'd be great to have an ongoing 'chart' of which songs I listen to the most.

Problem is, I very rarely listen to a song until the very last second (including the silence at the end), who does? I automatically find myself selecting the next track as soon as the fade-out starts! But I THINK iTunes only registers a "play" to a song (and increments the Play Count for the track) if it runs all the way through. Am I right?

If so, can I change a setting so it registers a Play if I START playing a song, rather than me having to play it all the way through?

Si.

I don't know. I don't use iTunes.

The ever helpful Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

www.last.fm takes a chart of all your songs. And you only need to play 50% of a track for it to register.

You skip the fade outs? Really?!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

If I'm on the move, yes. Sometimes I get to the office when I'm 80% through a track or maybe I nudge the player trying to get my ticket or something out and it jumps track - I still need it to record that I (mostly) listened to the song.

www.last.fm is no good because most music I listen to on the move. When I'm on the computer, quite often the thing I'm working on INVOLVES sound (video or audio editing) so I can't listen to music.

Si.

You can download the 'scrobbler' that uploads your tracks for an I-Pod. It'll upload your playlist when you connect to the PC
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Sounds complicated.

I was hoping someone knew of a setting in iTunes where you can choose to make it trigger a play when a song starts, rather than finishes.

Si.

I can't find one unfortunately.

Sounds complicated.
    Shouldn't be much harder than downloading any other app.

I didn't really understand what you meant by "download a scrobbler which uploads your tracks". Could you explain exactly what it is and how it works? Sorry, I'm being a bit slow!

Si.

It's been a while since I set it up, but:

Set up a user name and password with last.fm.
    Download the 'Scrobbler' file for your I-pod.
    Install it.
    Type in your last.fm password and user name when prompted.
    All your songs will now be counted on last.fm.

I think that's how it works.

There is a cross-fade in iTunes which you can set to segue from one song to another before the song properly ends. You can choose how many seconds you want it to blend.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Shame it doesn't just count starting a song as a 'play' anyway. Who ever listens right til the end of a song, even the seconds of silence at the end of the tack?

Si.

Me? If I've got a playlist I just leave it playing and only get involved to stop it when I'm bored.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I don't really have a playlist though, I like to choose songs as and when I feel like hearing them!

Si.

I 'Selected All' on all my tracks on iTunes last night and clicked 'reset play count' and they all went to zero. I then resynced and on my iPhone, the '25 Most Played' playlist dissapeareed - I guess it would, if they have all been reset. But after playing a few songs, some twice, it hasn't appeared again! No idea why not. Surely the first few songs I've played today should have been added to it?

Si.

For anyone following this strange inconsequential iTunes soap opera, odd thing number 1 - it regenerated my playlist when I synced (isn't "live updating" supposed to mean it does it on the move?) and odd thing number 2 is that it displays the songs on the playlist on my iPhone in seemingly random order. Useful!

Still, at least I can see my Top 25 list of most played songs on the computer every time I plug in. *sigh*

Si.