Default Defend the right to Jaywalk!

Article from BBC news today:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

What every Brit should know about jaywalking

In the UK no one would bat an eyelid. In Atlanta, you could be wrestled to the ground. It is a cautionary tale for any traveller - distinguished historian Felipe Fernandez-Armesto tried to cross the road while in Atlanta for the conference of the American Historical Association, only to find himself in handcuffs and surrounded by armed police.

"I come from a country where you can cross the road where you like," said the visiting professor of global environmental history at Queen Mary College, University of London. "It hadn't occurred to me that I wasn't allowed to cross the road between the two main conference venues."

The bespectacled professor says he didn't realise the "rather intrusive young man" shouting that he shouldn't cross there was a policeman. "I thanked him for his advice and went on."

The officer asked for identification. The professor asked for his, after which Officer Leonpacher told him he was under arrest and, the professor claims, kicked his legs from under him, pinned him to the ground and confiscated his box of peppermints.

Professor Fernandez-Armesto then spent eight hours in the cells before the charges were dropped. He told the Times that his colleagues now regard him as "as a combination of Rambo, because it took five cops to pin me to the ground, and Perry Mason, because my eloquence before a judge obtained my immediate release".

Not every jaywalking Brit abroad will be similarly blessed, nor enjoy the intervention of the city mayor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So what does everybody reckon? I do it all the time - This story is just beyond belief! I'm just glad I don't live in the States...I'd spend my life in prison...

Oh and can the prof have his peppermints back!
    Last edited by Ralph; 11th Jan 2007 at 8:45 PM.

That would be just as amazing to Americans as Brits. Don't worry, you cannot be arrested for jaywalking anywhere in the US. You CAN be given a citation for jaywalking in cities where there is an ordinance against it though. Also, defying and smartmouthing a police officer is a good way to get yourself in trouble in any situation, and in this case he defied direct instructions from an officer and then asked for HIS identification rather than providing his own. This is what got this gentleman in trouble. If he had just provided his identification and been polite and explained that he didn't understand he probably would have recieved a verbal warning and been told to use the crosswalks.
    Last edited by Jeff; 11th Jan 2007 at 9:20 PM.

Wayne Guest

I'm afraid the phrase: 'Only in America', springs to mind. (Sorry Jeff/Arisa)

Mind you, the way this country's going, it'll probably be happening here soon enough.

*Jeff's posted at the same time as me, So i'm glad to hear it's not the norm.
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Jan 2007 at 9:18 PM. Reason: Blame Jeff. ;-D

Even in cities where there are ordinances against jaywalking the offense is usually ignored by police. Probably the most common crime in the country. Unless an officer sees you crossing a busy road in a manner such as making traffic stop by walking out in front of cars and being obnoxious, you have nothing to worry about.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Unless an officer sees you crossing a busy road in a manner such as making traffic stop by walking out in front of cars and being obnoxious, you have nothing to worry about.
    I'm pretty sure that would be the same here. That's if the cops could fit it into their busy schedule of defending/looking after burglars & murders & the like.
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Jan 2007 at 9:29 PM.

I'm afraid the phrase: 'Only in America', springs to mind. (Sorry Jeff/Arisa)
    ahem...

Doctors condemn plastic surgery lottery

Only in Great Britain...

Wayne Guest

Touch dude.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    That would be just as amazing to Americans as Brits. Don't worry, you cannot be arrested for jaywalking anywhere in the US. You CAN be given a citation for jaywalking in cities where there is an ordinance against it though. Also, defying and smartmouthing a police officer is a good way to get yourself in trouble in any situation, and in this case he defied direct instructions from an officer and then asked for HIS identification rather than providing his own. This is what got this gentleman in trouble. If he had just provided his identification and been polite and explained that he didn't understand he probably would have recieved a verbal warning and been told to use the crosswalks.
    One thing I've noticed which wouldn't have helped is that American police uniforms vary from one city or county to another, whereas British police have roughly the same uniform and a constable in Cornwall would wear basically the same as one in Aberdeen. This seems to have been the problem in the heat of the moment- that the first policeman wasn't identifiable as such to the historian, who just took him as a stranger appearing from nowhere and asking for identification.

A couple of years ago there was a world policewomen's conference in Leeds and I happened to pass as some of the delegates were arriving for the parade. Looking at the physical shape of some of the Americans (identifiable by their badges), I suspect there's also a tendency to use extreme physical force first because the officers aren't up to giving chase on foot- later confirmed when I called into a 7/11 in Anaheim and saw a policeman of the Chief Wiggum school buying a drink of 7-Up in a cup big enough to have bathed a baby in.

some what ironic that a country that boasts it's self to be the most democratic and free country in the world has laws and regulations about crossing a road. weather ot not it is an arrestable offence is not really an issue but amount of time and man hours that must get wasted by American police when they hand out cautions.

One think I'd like to know why they needed 5 officers anyway - and what a stupid waste of police resources

Anyway Jeff I'm pleased to hear this insanity isn't standard across America. Apparently the incident is on utube to see this police brutality

I've got to say there's simply no sound reasoning in my book for the action taken - just plain stupid - there's surely enough real crime going on...this is the pettiest reason I've heard of unless of course you can be arrested for wearing a loud shirt

I think Glasgow is the jay walking capital of the world but I'm not sure...certainly if the road is clear I'm not hanging about...I don't think there can be many of us in the UK overall who are going wait for the green man when the road is clear...Parents with their kids and older folk sure but otherwise I think jaywalking is part of UK culture.

I know in Germany they obey the rules strictly but compliant societies have been shown to be a dangerous thing...

Pip Madeley Guest

I hate people who cross really busy roads...

Especially when you're travelling in a car.

I think there's different types of jay walking...standing in the middle of the road waiting to get to the otherside is pretty stupid! I only make a move when there's clearly sufficient time to walk across safely with no risk to drivers.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm the same. I follow the green cross code man:

Cause he won't be there, when YOU cross the road.

I prefer to SPLINK! myself

No one probably jay walked when they made the Time Monster.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I prefer to SPLINK! myself

Last edited by Pip Madeley; 11th Jan 2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Arse magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I

nope it was just the Ministery for Silly Walks..

Nice one Wayne!

Yeah Larry the movements are certainly different on that one...I guess also Bessie at superspeed was probably seriously dangerous to other road users and pedestrians alike!

I got told off for Jaywalking by a policeman in York once. I was not impressed that he was wasting mine and his time and I told him so!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew T View Post
    I got told off for Jaywalking by a policeman in York once. I was not impressed that he was wasting mine and his time and I told him so!

well York must have a very low crime rate if that's whatt the police up there do..