Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Guess The Scores for the World Cup!

Wow, so this is what it's like inside the Sports forum! A strange and magical place for sure.

Anyway, I rather need your help, particuarly those of you with some shreds of footballing knowledge. We're having a friendly game at work (no prizes, just for fun) to guess the scores to some of the World Cup games, and I haven't a clue! I desperately don't want to look like a Sporting Ignoramus amongst my team mates, so I was hoping you might give me some help.

I need some idea about who's going to win in the opening games - South Africa vs Uruguay and Mexico vs France.

So who would you say are favourites in these games? What are your predicted scores?

Help me disguise myself as someone cool who knows all about people like Joe Cole, Fabio Thingy and that one who shagged everyones wife. Then I can go back to listening to urban pop and not have to resort to browsing through the bits of the free paper that I usually leave on the seat.

Your grateful footballing simpleton,

Si.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    that one who shagged everyones wife
    Not that that narrows it down in football...

The two fixtures you mention are ones which could go either way- South Africa and Uruguay aren't exactly over-endowed with footballing greats, but I'd probably favour South Africa as the home nation in the opening match because they'll be buoyed up by the occasion.

Although the French have a lot of talented individual players, they also have more than their fair share of egos and since winning the World Cup in 1998 have acquired a reputation for underachieving with the exception of the 2006 final in Germany- so there's also an argument that they don't travel particularly well and do tend to flounder in the early games. Mexico may well seize their opportunity there.

Thanks!

Maybe I should go for a 1-0 Mexico win and a 2-0 victory for South Africa, given they are the home nation.

Si.

I would expect France to win 2-1 vs Mexico and a 1-0 win for South Africa against Uruguay. The opening match of a World Cup is often a dull affair as the host nations don't want to lose it, so tend to play more cautiously. France are a top side but are still a little suspect defensively, having conceded goals in all their games against Austria, Serbia and Rumani in qualifying, including a 3-1 defeat to Austria.

South Africa and Uruguay aren't exactly over-endowed with footballing greats, but I'd probably favour South Africa as the home nation in the opening match because they'll be buoyed up by the occasion.
    Uruguay do have Forlan and Luis Suarez though. Two strikers that have been performing exceptionally at domestic level with Athetico Madrid and Ajax respectively.

I think New Zealand might win it.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Sssh.

I'd hoped Dame Lissa might have a prediction, being a footy genius.

Si.

I did have an idea to make the World Cup more fun for people round these parts but never got round to mentioning it. I'll explain later.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

That's what you said on Karfel!

Hang on, no, that was someone else I know.

Si.

It'll be a nervy 2-2 draw between France and Mexico, but both teams will go further in the competition. Meanwhile, South Africa will put on a show and come out 3-0 winners against Uruguay - but won't win another game in the tournament. Crazy talk!

France will win 2-0, and Uruguay will steal a 1-0 victory. I don't know why. It's just a feeling I've got.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Oops. I got it a bit wrong by telling you the wrong fixtures! France are actually playing Uruguay and South Africa are playing Mexico!

But never mind. Now I need your predictions for:

South Korea v Greece
    Argentina v Nigeria
    England v USA

Si.

South Korea 1 - 1 Greece - South Korea did well when the World Cup was held in their country. The are quite a quick and skillful side but tactically still weak. Greece are pretty poor really, and qualified from the weakest group in the European Sector with a couple of defeats and draws to their name. There World Cup record is pretty dismal too, having played 3 lost 3 and scored no goals, whilst conceding 10.

Argentina 2 - 1 Nigeria - Argentina's biggest weakness is the ineptness of Maradona as a manager. They still have enough in their side with Messi, Tevez and co to beat a Nigeria side that isn't of the same standard they were 8 to 10 years ago, when they were comfortably the best African nation.

England 1 - 0 USA - I don't see England beating the US convincingly, although they should still get the win eventually. Some of the players in the England side are World Class, but they don't work as well as a unit as they should.

South Korea 1 - 1 Greece - No idea. I'll go for a draw too then.

Argentina 3 - 0 Nigeria - Argentina should win this comfortably.

England 0 - 1 USA - I don't know why, but I've got a really bad feeling for England this tournament, and think we may well crash out in the first round. Hopefully not though.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

C'mon folks, not many people joining in!

What are your predictions for:

Algeria vs Slovenia
    Serbia vs Ghana
    Germany vs Australia
    Holland vs Denmark
    Japan vs Cameroon
    Italy vs Paraguay

Si.

Algeria vs Slovenia
    Serbia vs Ghana
    Germany vs Australia
    Holland vs Denmark
    Japan vs Cameroon
    Italy vs Paraguay

Si.
    Ooh, predicting that lot is a bit difficult for me, I've no idea of how good/bad some of the teams are. But I'll give a few a go.

Germany vs Australia - 2-0
    Holland vs Denmark - 2-1
    Japan vs Cameroon - 1-2
    Italy vs Paraguay - 3-2

Could be horribly horribly wrong about all those though (well, bar the Germany result, which I'm pretty confident about).
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Ooh, predicting that lot is a bit difficult for me, I've no idea of how good/bad some of the teams are. But I'll give a few a go.

Germany vs Australia - 2-0
    Holland vs Denmark - 2-1
    Japan vs Cameroon - 1-2
    Italy vs Paraguay - 3-2

Could be horribly horribly wrong about all those though (well, bar the Germany result, which I'm pretty confident about).
    Oops. I got it a bit wrong by telling you the wrong fixtures! France are actually playing Uruguay and South Africa are playing Mexico!
    Ah, in that case, I predict a 1-1 draw for South Africa vs Mexico.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Algeria vs Slovenia
    Serbia vs Ghana
    Germany vs Australia
    Holland vs Denmark
    Japan vs Cameroon
    Italy vs Paraguay

Si.
    Algeria 1-1 Slovenia
    Serbia 1-0 Ghana
    Germany 2-1 Australia
    Holland 2-0 Denmark
    Japan 0-2 Cameroon
    Italy 2-0 Paraguay

All copied from my guaranteed-absolutely-definitely-going-to-be-true World Cup Wallchart.

I already got South Africa v Mexico wrong, by the way.

Algeria 0 vs 0 Slovenia
    Serbia 2 vs 1 Ghana
    Germany 3 vs 1 Australia
    Holland 2 vs 0 Denmark
    Japan 1 vs 1 Cameroon
    Italy 3 vs 1 Paraguay

I had England v America as a draw, if that helps anyone who wants to bet on my predictions. Admittedly, I had it as a 0-0, but never mind.

Wow, this Thread totally died before group stage even ended. . .

Thats because all the best estimates for this world cup have been performed by a cephalopod with psychic powers!

I'm worried ...

Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Said Cephalopod only estimates German games

Spain v Holland is still up for grabs!

2-0 to Spain is my prediction...

Ant x

(though my prediction is entirely based on the supposition that whenever I make such predictions, the team I've predicted a victory to inevitably loses. Suffice to say, I'm supporting Holland. )

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I have a feeling Spain's gonna finally find that 2nd and 3rd goal. Hopefully this time someone will PASS TO TORRES!!! He needs the goal, damnit!!!

I'm 100% ANTI HOLLAND. Cos' of them (and Ghana) my boys in Celeste will have to settle for third place.

URUGUAY 2014!!!