• 3: Eeek, what a disappointment

0 0%
  • 2: Does Who get much worse than this?

0 0%
  • 1: Worst Episode Ever!

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Rate and Discuss: The Lodger

As there's not a thread up so far, I better do one again. Apologies in advance for the poor poll options, it deleted my original ones.
    Last edited by Alex; 12th Jun 2010 at 7:54 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Oops! Sorry, forgot to start the thread today. thanks Alex.

Well that was... OK. Fun, but nothing very special. Lots of little moments I liked but overall it left me with a so what kind of feeling.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Hmmm. An odd one this. It wasn't bad, but it just wasn't good either. I expected to be annoyed by James Corden but he wasn't too bad at all, and managed to turn in a quite sympathetic performance.

The big problem was that it was so slow and boring (imo) with not much going on for long periods of time. And then the big threat turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, with humans and love once again saving the day when the Doctor failed to.

I wanted to like it, I did, and Matt was once again excellent in it, but I can only give it a series low of 5/10, as halfway through I was pretty bored and that didn't change even during the denouement.

I have to say I'm having a bit of an odd reaction to Who this year - I'm loving Matt, really liking Amy most of the time (she's certainly my favourite companion since Rose) but too many of the stories are a bit nothingy, there's only been 4 that I've really loved. I'm just hoping the two part finale redeems it, and Moffat's a bit more adventurous next year.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I have been disappointed with the whole series so far with the exception of Amy's Choice...and this one. Low budget, but I liked the sense of fun, the lack of Amy Pond and the Doctor's weirdness as well as wanting to find out what was going on in the upstairs flat.

It was fun and James Cordon played his role quite well I thought.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Best one of the season so far for me. More on why later.

I dunno, I put Doctor Who on to avoid all the football on TV at the moment, and the Doctor's only playing football!!

I really enjoyed this - a bit of light fun before what looks to be a dramatic, epic finale. Matt Smith really pulled off the "trying to be a human" for me - subtly different from Human Nature because there the Doctor really was human!

I rather liked the idea of the ship working its way through the whole population of Earth. Oh, and what a great way for the Doctor to share thoughts with a human - never mind the snogging, just headbut them!

And wasn't Smith's hair wonderful when he'd come out of the shower!

And wasn't Smith's hair wonderful when he'd come out of the shower!
    It was! But what did you think of his chest?

Si xx

The Amy/Karen-lite episode.

The Doctor made Craig drink water (through the spout of the tea pot).
    Check it out!
    The least the special effects people could do was to colour the water

Or were they making a point !
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

5/10

Not brilliant, but it wasn't as bad as i feared.
    Some good ideas but once again thrown away by a poor standard of writing. I really think the writing has let down several episodes of this season. (Especially after the usually good Mark Gatiss' massively disappointing episode.) I wish we could have more from people like Robert Shearman and Paul Cornell, rather than the likes of Chibnall and Roberts.
    Matt Smith made the episode though. I thought he was really great in this one, (as he has been in all of them) and that in itself made the episode more far watchable than last week, where i was completely bored.
    Oh and Corden was rubbish.

Liked the neo-TARDIS, liked the jokes, loved Matt Smith, the celebrity guest actor was OK in their romantic role but James Corden wasn't as good as her (hahah.)

A very enjoyable episode, but I liked it better when it was only the Doctor, Amy and the people who had been lured into the flat who were under threat.

If Mark Gattis had written this it would have been astounding. Perhaps he should have swapped the Dalek episode with GRoberts?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

A good bit of fun, I really enjoyed it. Agree with all the comments about Smith, there's something just so watchable about him - he played it just right, not making the Doctor appear intentionally stupid, but making the naivete quite convincing (love the air kiss 'gag' in particular).

The fanboy in me was delighted to see the Doctor a whizz in the kitchen a la Vampire Science, and stone me when they opened the upstairs door and we saw that lovely control room I thought for a minute that Paul McGann was about to pop up!!

I'm not a big Corden fan, but he was very good in this, I very quickly forgot he was a bit of 'guest star casting' and just enjoyed the character.

Very neatly scheduled as a bit of lightness just before the (presumably) epic two-part finale - the trailer for which was very intriguing, despite being largely clips we'd already seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post

stone me when they opened the upstairs door and we saw that lovely control room I thought for a minute that Paul McGann was about to pop up!!
    I thought that too especially as we have been treated to so many glimpses of the Doctor's past incarnations.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Perhaps he's inside the Pandorica?

we seem to get one of these light hearted episodes in every series and this was another enjoyable and fun episodes and the Doctor's bric a brack invention was a nice little nod to the Pertwee eara.

yes and the way he sat there with all the wires around his neck really reminded me of Tom Baker

I was reminded of Peter Davison when he flashed up on the screen. Honestly you wait years for a flashback to the past Doctors and this year they're coming thick and fast!

Si xx

head butting some one is certainly an original way to get them to share your memories..

I'm going to try the headbutt-mind-transfer technique at work to explain things to my colleagues. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I felt a bit underwealmed, even though it wasn't awful. Good things - Matt Smith gave one of his best performances as the Doctor, particuarly in the first few scenes. For once you couldn't imagine Tennant saying his lines, and he truly made the part his own. There was good mileage in all the ideas here: the Doctor adjusting to normal life, being odd at the football match, the makeshift console, the reveal of the "other" TARDIS was spectacular and reminded me of the reveal of the Rani's TARDIS in "Mark of the Rani". The man at the top of the stairs was very sinister, and it reminded me of the 'photographs' episode of "Sapphire and Steel".

Bad things... it also reminded me of "Fear Her" in that it seemed like an episode at least partly designed to be scary, but which wasn't because it was all a bit too daylighty. Modern Doctor Who seems to have forgotton some of the basic tricks of using tension, shadows and, well, spookiness to make a good idea truly chilling. Maybe it's that nothing ever really stays still or quiet long enough to make you spooked? Without that fear factor it was largely a story about the Doctor living in a house with a fat bloke and, as others have remarked, that made it not the most exciting episode of the Show That Can Explore All Of Time and Space. James Cordon wasn't awful, he was just... not very special. He didn't really show he could act, not exhibit star quality and I'm afraid I found the relationship between him and the girl very unbelievable, as they shared no chemistry at all. As far as unrequited love stories go, this was almightily basic stuff. Finally, I didn't like the headbutting. There's something nasty and absolutely horrible about headbutting - when people do it in real life it can be really, really unpleasant, and I didn't really get why it was a clever method of the Doctor sharing information. How does that work?! Why did James Cordon know all about the TARDIS and space travel just because the Doctor headbutted him?! It was moronic. And, as someone where I watched it pointed out, surely there is a very real danger of kids copying it?!

So not a BAD bad episode, just a usual Episode 11 really; very cheap, some good comedy and not a bad plot, but a long, long way from the highs of Roberts' "Unicorn and the Wasp" or even some of his Sarah Jane output and, maybe in time, a bit of a Who clunker as well. I gave it 7/10.

Si.

Ironically, despite my dislike of Corden, I really rather enjoyed that. Even JC - hang on! - was fairly alright. He's not a brilliant actor, but he's far better acting than he is being himself. But hey, aren't we all like that, sometimes?

Matt Smith, when will you stop surpassing yourself? Lady who played Sophie, who are you? You were brilliant! It all felt a bit rushed, but only because I loved the idea of the Doctor living in a house and doing ordinary things, but in an extraordinary way. When he said "three days", it didn't feel like that long. Minor complaint, really.

Against all odds, a minor triumph. I was going to say it was worthy of a seven, but actually, I'm going to give it eight goals out of 6,000,000,000, 426.

But enough of the flashbacks, please. Just because William Hartnell is, alas, dead, and cannot demand a fee for the use of his likeness, is no reason to keep showing us him.

However, I DID like the Doctor humming the same piece of opera - don't ask me what it's called, I haven't a clue - as he did forty years ago, at the beginning of Inferno. And in the shower as well. We now just need a giant spider, a dinosaur, and something Pelandonic and we've had the whole Pertwee era referenced in just thirteen weeks.

Is that good or bad? You decide.

Loved it! 'Nuff said!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Wells View Post
    But enough of the flashbacks, please. Just because William Hartnell is, alas, dead, and cannot demand a fee for the use of his likeness, is no reason to keep showing us him.
    I've been wondering if there might be some extra significance to those, given how often they've been used. No idea what, if any, though.

However, I DID like the Doctor humming the same piece of opera - don't ask me what it's called, I haven't a clue - as he did forty years ago, at the beginning of Inferno. And in the shower as well.
    La Donne Mobile.

Lady who played Sophie, who are you?
    If you liked her, then check out Psychoville where she plays a Dwarf-loving Snow White. She was also in "Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire" but never mind.

Fourth appearance of Hartnell this year!

Out of all the Doctors who've made multiple appearances in 2010, Hartnell is my clear second favourite.

Si.