Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Red Dwarf: The Bodysnatcher Collection

Red Dwarf Remastered

The remastered release is currently intended as a four-disc box-set, with one disc each for the three series plus a bonus disc. Aside from the 18 remastered episodes, it's a release that is going to give us a chance to do something we've been aching to do - three brand-new documentaries.

For the first time, the making of Series I and Series II will be covered in-depth, as per our Series III to VIII DVD docs, with some exciting and unexpected contributors. We'll be interviewing cast and crew from Red Dwarf's formative years and asking - just how did you get anything done with hangovers that large?

We'll also be documenting the remastered production itself, digging into just what went on with the creation of these controversial re-edits. The changes to model shots, sound and picture, the edits, the public reaction...we'll be digging up the whole story.
    With more extras to be announced.

Some people might feel this is a bit of a rip-off, others hate the remastered episodes, but I rather liked them, as I got into Red Dwarf with series eight back in 1999, so the remastered CGI was what I expected. I see it as a nice alternative to the originals, not a replacement.

I believe Rob Grant will be contributing to the release, too.

Edited to add: I should make it clear these are the 1997 remastered versions that were released on VHS:

Last edited by Pip Madeley; 13th Jan 2007 at 10:15 PM.

They've had a hell of a lot of our cash down the years, the Red Dwarf lot, what with endless repackaging, special editions of things and even the bloopers re-re-released to buggery. These will be good, and maybe I'll get them when I've got lots of cash. But the words "old rope", "for" and "money" spring to mind - this is the third time I'll have bought some of these.

Si.

As I haven't got series I, II or III on shiny disc yet I'm more than happy to see this release

I did waste money on those bloopers videos too though
    Bazinga !

I am SO glad that I never invested in Red Dwarf now! I was going to buy the lot once they were all out, but I might wait for these versions instead. Although I'm not so sure if it's going to be the CGI mish-mash of those old video releases. Model work Rooolz.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

I might wait for these versions instead. Although I'm not so sure if it's going to be the CGI mish-mash of those old video releases
    That's what it is... but whether they revist the CGI and update it, we'll have to see.

Good work, Pip. I was giving you until midnight before I started a thread on this. You're getting slower.

Pip Madeley Guest

Impressive James, considering the original article was posted on 22 Dec 2006.

I noticed that when I read it for the first time on reddwarf.co.uk earlier today.

Interesting that people seem to think of the CGI re-edits of the episodes as the "definitive" versions. Would you not bother with the original of "The Daleks" if someone chopped bits out and added computer generated Daleks? Hmmm?

Si.

I was planning on not getting this, but the extras have tempted me. Curse you Red Dwarf types!!!

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Interesting that people seem to think of the CGI re-edits of the episodes as the "definitive" versions. Would you not bother with the original of "The Daleks" if someone chopped bits out and added computer generated Daleks? Hmmm?

Si.
    Who said it was definitive?

As I said before, I see it as a nice alternative, and I'll be happy to buy this set when it's released - the addition of more extras for series 1 and 2 sweetens the deal.

Who said it was definitive?
    The people who posted comments along the lines of "I'm glad I waited before buying Series 1-3 now", which suggests they'll get this instead, rather than as well as, the originals.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I think they misunderstood me - when it said remastered, they must've thought I meant better quality than the DVDs already released. I didn't make it clear that these were the 'Re-Mastered' versions ie. those with alternate music/effects etc.
    Last edited by Pip Madeley; 14th Jan 2007 at 12:44 PM.

They've re-badged it you fool!

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I was expecting that. I can read you like a book.

And not a very good book.

Certainly not Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNabb.

Which actually improves with every read.

I was pressing nine Lynn! I felt like a ruddy idiot!

Si.

And we all join in on the zig-a-zig-ah.

The people who posted comments along the lines of "I'm glad I waited before buying Series 1-3 now", which suggests they'll get this instead, rather than as well as, the originals.

Si.
    Not really. I'll be getting these for the extras more than anything else. If I want to watch the definitive versions I still have them on video in the loft
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

Interesting development:

Red Dwarf: The Bodysnatcher Collection

This is the title of the brand new DVD boxset coming soon from Grant Naylor Productions and 2|entertain. It has long been felt that 'Red Dwarf Remastered' undersold the scale of what we've been trying to do. This isn't just about giving in to the demand for the remastered shows to be released on DVD. It's about a whole new Red Dwarf release.

Top of the tree, of course, is the bonus feature that gives the collection its name - Bodysnatcher - the lost Series I episode written by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor and performed by Chris Barrie. Frankly the biggest discovery since some bloke dug up some bones that looked "kinda like a dragon".

On top of which, we also have four rare script extracts. Also written by Rob and Doug, they reveal some of the directions Series III might have gone - including the oft-mentioned Dad episode.

Then there are the documentaries. We've filmed interviews, more interviews and even more interviews with the key players so we can bring you three documentaries on the making of Series I, Series II and the Remastered editions.

Packed with insights and revelations, the docs include rare, unseen footage, deleted moments, rushes, outtakes, and contributions from several rarely-seen players - including co-creator Rob Grant, producer Paul Jackson, production designer Paul Montague, skutter-maker Andy Bowman and crew members Mike Agnew and Dona DiStefano.

(Plus - did we mention? - all the main cast, several guest cast members, the remastering edit, sound and FX guys, not to mention Doug Naylor. Oh, just go check the previous stories for the full list.)

In addition, there's The End: The Original Assembly. As previously reported, this will show a first cut of the episode that subsequently had two-thirds of its content re-filmed! It's terrifying to see the audience reaction to a script three years in the making - but it makes the need for change all too clear.

But hey, don't go thinking this is the end of the list. Oh no. There's a long way to the official release date - now confirmed as October 22nd, 2007 in the UK (no word yet on international releases) - and we still have a few small details, plus a few huge ones, still to announce.
    Odd name indeed, but it sounds like my kinda DVD box set.

WhiteCrow Guest

Si.
    Mr Lucas has a lot to answer for.

Does this mean we can look forward to a CGI Myrka when Warriors of the Deep is out?

I hope so. It couldn't make it any worse.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I hope so. It couldn't make it any worse.
    Alas when was the last time you saw a Pantomime horse on TV. It's a lost theatrical art.

Anyway I think you'll find Equity won't allow them to do that as the original actors will lose out their repeat fees. Bunch of neighsayers ...

I don't want to be a bit, sniff, dumb, but what is "The Bodysnatcher" episode? Is it Red Dwarf's version of Shada?

It's not technically the first re-release of the Red Dwarf episodes, it's the seventh, which makes it a re-re-re-re-re-re-release!

(New Earth was on this morning)

Sounds like one for the fans. And I can put off buying all the Red Dwarf DVD's for a bit longer
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Scrape, scrape, scrape!

Si.