Thread: The Beatles

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Captain Tancredi Guest

Where's their incentive? They have quite a nice little income stream as it is which doesn't require them to do any additional work.

What might however work would be to delete the whole range (except, say, Love and 1) in a couple of years and re-release each album remastered, tinkered and fettled on its 50th anniversary, so as to create the demand.

People would want to buy them all over again if they were given an overhaul. I probably would. The early Rolling stones back catalogue (on Decca) got the same treatment a few years ago and the reissues looked superb. They even had some limited edition vinyl repilca sleeves.

Delete the whole range??.....wash your mouth out, young man!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I was thinking of when something similar happened with the Bond films about ten years ago- for about a year or so before one of the Brosnan films the whole range was unavailable and then they suddenly reappeared once the next film came out and the demand was there.

Aye, I know what you meant.

A question I have to ask- who is your favourite Beatle and why?

Also which one do you think was th ebest looking? (You might want to skip that question if you're a heterosexual make!)

I'm very fond of Ringo. He had a very self deprecating wit (and still does). I loved his appearance on Jonathan Ross' show last year. He is a national treasure. He's the best thing about the Beatles films as well. He is rather cute as well, but baby faced Paul beats him easy. George was rather dashing and his quiet demenour made him rather cool I think. John was a special character, but I think I would have found him a bit of a smart arse.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    A question I have to ask- who is your favourite Beatle and why?

Also which one do you think was th ebest looking? (You might want to skip that question if you're a heterosexual make!)

I'm very fond of Ringo. He had a very self deprecating wit (and still does). I loved his appearance on Jonathan Ross' show last year. He is a national treasure. He's the best thing about the Beatles films as well. He is rather cute as well, but baby faced Paul beats him easy. George was rather dashing and his quiet demenour made him rather cool I think. John was a special character, but I think I would have found him a bit of a smart arse.
    George for me. He's always came across as a humble sort of chap in interviews & stuff.
    I've got a dvd of a concert from the 80's given in honour of Rockabilly legend Carl Perkins, on which George makes a guest appearance, where he praises Carl & acknowledges his influence on the guitar. Along with Ringo, who also appears, they play a selection of Carl Perkins tunes, like 'Honey Don't' & 'Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby' which appeared on Beatles albums. George doesn't try to hog the limelight, even though he's the most famous person on the stage.
    He was a good looking bloke too. Well, he was the one that my Mum fancied anyway.
    Ringo seems like a nice enough sort of bloke, but i always got the impression that Lennon was a bit of a loose cannon. According to at least one biography, he had a temper & could be a bit handy with his fists at times towards both Cynthia & Yoko. Though i have no idea whether this is actually true, of course.
    Paul is the best musician of the four, but i have to say that i don't have a very good impression of him as a person. The smarmy get once went on 'Celebrity I Want To Be A Millionaire' to try to raise money for Heather's charity. The paltry few thousand that he raised is a drop in the ocean to someone of his huge wealth. Mind you, if he's to be believed; He's only got 300 million instead of the 800 million that he's been valued at. The poor sod.
    Last edited by Wayne; 21st Jan 2007 at 7:49 PM.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I too have a lot of respect for George as somebody from a very ordinary background who had the courage to step outside the world of fame and wealth to explore his spirituality and embrace a belief system almost totally alien to the world he originally came from. A lot of the freedom we have today to explore our own spiritual aspects is down to people like George.

From the behind-the-scenes footage I've seen of John, I think that while he certainly had a talent for challenging the status quo and stimulating a response, he seems to have had very little respect for his collaborators and a particularly foul mouth to boot. By dying comparatively young, he inadvertently seems to have consolidated his own status as a leader/martyr, but I think in today's culture with its remorseless eye on any and every celebrity, his feet of clay would have become all the more apparent.

An update on the download situation in today's Media Guardian:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/newmedia...055410,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Media Guardian
    Beatles-EMI dispute settled
    Mark Sweney
    Thursday April 12, 2007
    MediaGuardian.co.uk

Beatles tracks will finally be available via online download services such as iTunes now that a long-running royalty dispute with record label EMI has been settled.

Apple Corps will now be free to negotiate a new royalties deal with EMI that extends to online music downloads.

"We settled last month on mutually acceptable terms," said an EMI spokeswoman. Terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

No date has been given for when Beatles tracks will be available via online music stores, but earlier this month the EMI chief executive, Eric Nicoli - speaking at a press conference alongside the Apple chief, Steve Jobs - admitted the company was "working on it, we hope it's soon".

The royalty dispute has been rumbling for many years and in December 2005 the band began its latest legal battle against EMI, issuing proceedings in the high court in London and the supreme court in New York to recover the alleged missing royalties money.

Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and relatives of John Lennon and George Harrison had alleged that EMI underpaid them by tens of millions of pounds in royalties on sales of Beatles' records between 1994 and 1999.

The resolution of the dispute is viewed as the last hurdle to making the Beatles' tracks available via iTunes, after the band settled another long-running dispute with the digital music store's parent Apple Computer in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Still doesn't tell me why they've not been re-issued, regardless of the price. That was actually my question- the fact they've generally been quite expensive is to be expected as EMI know we'll pay.
    Not EMI, the Beatles themselves. It's actually in the Beatles' contract with EMI that their cds must be the most expensive in the catalogue.

The re-issues will happen very soon, they were going to come out last month, but Apple didn't give EMI enough time to market them (4 weeks notice!). And yes, the 'old versions' will indeed be "withdrawn from sale".
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post

The re-issues will happen very soon, they were going to come out last month, but Apple didn't give EMI enough time to market them (4 weeks notice!). And yes, the 'old versions' will indeed be "withdrawn from sale".
    Oh, man, I think I just wet my knickers! Fabulous news!

It Was 40 Years Ago Today...

'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' was released in the UK.

Slightly overrated (thought I'd get it in before anyone else) but still an all-time classic!

Thought I'd posted Rock stars to recreate Sgt Pepper last month. Broadcast on Radio 2 this weekend.

Lengthy piece in last Friday's Scotsman:

http://living.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=810132007

and a load of articles on the Timesonline site:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sys...ot/Sgt_Pepper/

Including their original review of the album.

Good morning, good morning, good...

Last edited by Milky Tears; 1st Jun 2007 at 3:20 AM.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I'll post some more thoughts on this later, but this is quite an important anniversary weekend for British music, because tomorrow marks the 150th anniversary of the birth of Sir Edward Elgar (you'll know 'Land of Hope and Glory' if nothing else), composer of several works such as his Enigma Variations, Violin and Cello Concertos, which express a peculiarly English spirit in a different way. Like I say, I'll come back with some more organised thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    Thought I'd posted Rock stars to recreate Sgt Pepper last month. Broadcast on Radio 2 this weekend.
    and on BBC2 tonight at 10:45pm. BBCi (Freeview Channel 301) are also running a 20 minute loop of the performances right now.

It was 40 years ago...er...yesterday!

The new versions I heard were mostly rubbish i thought- especially The Kaiser Chiefs (though I expected nothing less from them), although Travis doing Lovely Rita was rather good.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Travis were good, but Razorshite have raped my childhood. I think my cat is a better bass player.

Come on EMI! Pull yer finger out! 40th anniversary of "Sgt. Pepper" has been and gone and it's still on sale in the same card box and unspired inlay it's been seen in since 1987! And where are the rest of the way overdue re-issues?!

It's still the same grey/black tray cases with no sleeve notes (other than iffy reproductions of the originals) and the same black on white track listings with the numbers in the boxes (it's 2007- we know you can program a CD- enough with the dumb ass '80s numbers already! )
    Come on! The biggest band in the world and look at the state!

They still haven't even bothered releasing 'Live At The Hollywood Bowl', 'A Collection of Beatles Oldies', 'Rock 'n' Roll Music', 'Love Songs' or 'The Beatles' Ballads' on CD!

Any old pub band's back catalogue gets better treatment!

The shiny new DVD release of Help! has been bumped back to November 5th...

Standard Release

Limited Edition

but that didn't stop BBC Two showing The Beatles in Help! documentary the other night (think it's the same one on the new DVD) - repeated on Friday night/Saturday morning at 00:05am.

They're also screening Help! this weekend. Don't think it's been on the BBC since December 1980 (Lennon tribute) and I last spotted it on ITV about 1993-94ish.

7:50pm on Saturday 27th October

No point buying the DVD.

Oh my word! It's on telly!

Thanks James!

Will it get a region 1/NTSC release as well? Could be a good Chrimbo idea for the wife...

US release on November 6th:

http://www.emigroup.com/Press/2007/press92.htm

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/news/2007/10/2801.html

The BBC2 print was crap, so I might still buy the new DVD.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'll be happy with the BBC2 print till it goes cheap. The deluxe is £37 (RRP £49.99), madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    US release on November 6th:

http://www.emigroup.com/Press/2007/press92.htm

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/news/2007/10/2801.html

The BBC2 print was crap, so I might still buy the new DVD.
    Thanks... I'll have to look into that.

I went out for a curry with work last night. Bizarrely the curry house had a Lennon and McCartney tribute band on, so we spent the night singing along to Beatles hits (and a bit of dancing too!), which was great fun!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.