Thread: The Beatles

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

From Uncut...

Paul McCartney has stated that the Beatles back catalogue will probably be ready to be published online as early as next year.

Speaking to US publication Billboard, McCartney said: "it's all happening soon. Most of us are all sort of ready. The whole thing is primed, ready to go -- there's just maybe one little sticking point left, and I think it's being cleared up as we speak, so it shouldn't be too long. It's down to fine-tuning, but I'm pretty sure it'll be happening next year, 2008."

He also added that they were deliberately taking their time to iron out the finer details in bringing the Beatles music to the digital platform. He said: "You've got to get these things right. You don't want to do something that's as cool as that and in three years time you think, 'Oh God, why did we do that?!"

All four Beatles' solo catalogues have already been made available to download this year.
    Yes, because saving a file as an 'MP3' is a real challenge isn't it? I'll wager these will come out with the most shocking copy protection known to man.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's not worth starting a separate thread for Ringo, is it?

Did anyone see him faffing about in Liverpool the other night?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...de/7182334.stm

http://www.ringostarr.com/

What about performing on GMTV yesterday morning?

Behold the lyrical genius of his new track 'Liverpool 8':

#I was a sailor first, I sailed the sea
    Then I got a job, in a factory
    Played Butlin’s Camp with my friend Rory
    It was good for him, it was great for me

Livepool I left you, said ‘goodbye’ to Madryn Street
    I always followed my heart, and I never missed a beat
    Destiny was calling, I just couldn’t stick around
    Liverpool I left you, but I never let you down

Went to Hamburg, the red lights were on
    With George & Paul, and my friend John
    We rocked all night, we all looked tough
    We didn’t have much, but we had enough

Livepool I left you, said ‘goodbye’ to Madryn Street

I always followed my heart, and I never missed a beat

In the U.S.A. when we played Shea
    We were Number One, and it was fun
    When I look back, it sure was cool
    For those Four Boys from Liverpool

Livepool I left you, said ‘goodbye’ to Admiral Grove
    I always followed my heart, so I took it on the road

La la la la la la….Liverpool
    It's inspired!

Missing verse:

In the 1980s, I voiced Thomas The Tank
    Checked out Paul's Frog Chorus, it was a steaming pile of w*nk
    Played with George, and We Were Fab
    But my All-Starr Band are really drab
    Can't believe they missed that one.

It's actually quite a good little choon.

More news on this fast-developing situation:
    Apple Corps Ltd. and EMI Music are delighted to announce the release of the original Beatles catalogue, which has been digitally re-mastered for the first time, for worldwide CD release on Wednesday, September 9, 2009 (9-9-09), the same date as the release of the widely anticipated "The Beatles: Rock Band" video game. Each of the CDs is packaged with replicated original UK album art, including expanded booklets containing original and newly written liner notes and rare photos. For a limited period, each CD will also be embedded with a brief documentary film about the album. On the same date, two new Beatles boxed CD collections will also be released.

The albums have been re-mastered by a dedicated team of engineers at EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London over a four year period utilising state of the art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment, carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings. The result of this painstaking process is the highest fidelity the catalogue has seen since its original release.

The collection comprises all 12 Beatles albums in stereo, with track listings and artwork as originally released in the UK, and 'Magical Mystery Tour,' which became part of The Beatles' core catalogue when the CDs were first released in 1987. In addition, the collections 'Past Masters Vol. I and II' are now combined as one title, for a total of 14 titles over 16 discs. This will mark the first time that the first four Beatles albums will be available in stereo in their entirety on compact disc. These 14 albums, along with a DVD collection of the documentaries, will also be available for purchase together in a stereo boxed set.

Within each CD's new packaging, booklets include detailed historical notes along with informative recording notes. With the exception of the 'Past Masters' set, newly produced mini-documentaries on the making of each album, directed by Bob Smeaton, are included as QuickTime files on each album. The documentaries contain archival footage, rare photographs and never-before-heard studio chat from The Beatles, offering a unique and very personal insight into the studio atmosphere.

A second boxed set has been created with the collector in mind. 'The Beatles in Mono' gathers together, in one place, all of the Beatles recordings that were mixed for a mono release. It will contain 10 of the albums with their original mono mixes, plus two further discs of mono masters (covering similar ground to the stereo tracks on 'Past Masters'). As an added bonus, the mono "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" discs also include the original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD. These albums will be packaged in mini-vinyl CD replicas of the original sleeves with all original inserts and label designs retained.

Discussions regarding the digital distribution of the catalogue will continue. There is no further information available at this time.
    It's all due on the One After 909 then.

The challenge now will be to find the box sets under £100 and the individual CDs under £10!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

We're sort of interested in this, although I'm dubious about how much value there will be - rarities and performances would have been nice, and have the albums really not been remastered before? And why did it take them four years to remaster them? Were they just working very slowly. We might get these.

Si.

They really have never been remastered as a whole. Some tracks have for some of the compilations- The Yellow Submarine Songtrack and 1s and Love, but otherwise as a whole they've been untocuhed for years.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Past Masters and Rubber Soul without question.
    I've already got The White Album on CD and it sounds perfectly fine to me.

I've already got The White Album on CD and it sounds perfectly fine to me.
    Hmm, my copy has a really awful 'Revolution Number 9', there must be something wrong with the LP. Perhaps the remaster could fix this?

I think I read that they remastered every track except "Revolution Number 9" when they released TWA before. That's just a snippet of information I've regurgitated there.

Si.

New remasters news

The Beatles In Mono set is already sold out on Amazon.com!! I pre-ordered it last week from HMV.

It's a fully licensed money vacuum cleaner.

Mr. Spizer, who has heard the actual remasters, added, "I was impressed with how great everything sounded. Of course I expected the remasters to sound better the releases from 22 years ago, but they exceeded my expectations. The engineers at Abbey Road captured the spirit of the original recordings. They resisted the temptation to drastically boost the bass to make it sound more contemporary. There is none of the harshness and muddiness that was often found on CDs mastered in the eighties. The vocals and instruments have stunning clarity. You'll hear details in the music that you've never heard before. The remasters provide a fabulous listening experience."
    This could single handedly end the recession and get everyone spending again.

The videos are in the QuickTime format and will play on computers. They will not play on DVD or Blu-Ray machines. But if you buy the stereo box set, you will get a DVD that contains all of the mini-documentaries on one disc. You can play that disc on your DVD or Blu-Ray player. This will enable you to watch the documentaries on a big screen as opposed to a small computer screen.

Later pressings of remastered CDs will not have the mini-documentaries.
    Quick Time is evil.

BBC 2 and BBC 4 are having a Beatles week. Details here.

Sounds good to me!

Si xx

FAB GEAR

BEATLESQUEEEEEEE!!!!

Oh my! It's all rather gorgoeus, isn't it?

Si xx

Captain Tancredi Guest

Off to the Mathew Street Festival in Liverpool tomorrow so will no doubt be taking in a few of the tribute bands and so on.

Yeah - you know I'd been in Liverpool for 3 years before my wife thought to mention "oh there's a Beatles event on every August bank holiday". Grrrr.

I never did manage to get to the Beatles story.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Well. It's done. I've pre-ordered the Beatles in Stero set. £135 for all the albums plus the Past Masters set with the singles and b sides and odds and ends is a bargain I reckon!

Si xx

I caved in and also ordered the Beatles in Stereo Box when Amazon dropped the price to £135 on Thursday. Now I've got both sets heading my way next week!!

It'll be an expensive and Beatletastic September.

Captain Tancredi Guest

After today I'm tempted- that's the power of having adverts played at you constantly in between the different sets. But an interesting afternoon all round- started off by seeing a Frank Sinatra tribute act who was very good and had the Sinatra patter between songs as well, then a Beatles cover band from Seattle who played Lennon & McCartney songs recorded by other artists but in a Beatles style and rounded off with 'Imagine' and 'Instant Karma' with Alan White (who played drums on the original recording of 'Imagine') drumming. Followed that up with a group called the Overtures who played Sixties Americana (Monkees, Byrds etc.) and started watching a Motown act but by that stage it was starting to rain a bit too much. Still, lots of people enjoying themselves- the best were probably the Overtures and the Sinatra act. It just would have been nice to have had a lady with me while watching Perfectly Frank- they were those kind of songs.

This thread is a bit disgusting really. Oasis split and everyone goes on about how good the Beatles were ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

£135 for all the albums plus the Past Masters set with the singles and b sides and odds and ends is a bargain I reckon!
    It's still cheaper in America, isn't it? Although the postage and packing would take the edge off that to import it.

And the weak pound to boot ...

Captain Tancredi Guest

Looking at some of the comments on Amazon, it looks as if they've dropped the price to £135 to get it nearer to what it would end up costing to import- plus with duty and stuff there's also the delay in actually getting it.

Then again, HMV in Leeds had the unremastered albums at £16 about three or four yards away from a display encouraging pre-orders for the new ones at £9.99. Guessing they won't shift many of the old ones now...

Except they've hoiked the price back up to £169 today for some reason. Glad I got my order in over the weekend.

I suspect they will be many unsold copies of the old versions of the CDs hanging around in sales for the next few years. They're perfectly adequate and some people will get some good bargains- although checking the charity shops soon might be an even better bet of course.

Si xx

Captain Tancredi Guest

Well, that's a sale they've lost. My folks have the complete set of the originals on CD and I have Sergeant Pepper and Rubber Soul myself, so I'm not in any great rush- if anything, I have tentative plans to go to Boston next spring so I might just see if anything changes in the meantime.

It's a Beatles Remasters special on Ideal World right now. They're selling the Stereo Box for £154.99 (+ £7.95 postage) and the Mono Box for £179.99 (+ £7.95 postage). Both come with a free poster:

http://www.idealworld.tv/ShowGridVie...showid=2050482

Asda were selling Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road for £9.71 a pop today. Also had Past Masters for £14.71.