Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Doctor Who: The Sting of The Time Bees

PRESENT

"The Time Bees are coming, Ed. They're coming for YOU."

NOROMBRA. A world of myths and legends, ruled by a tyrannical Queen.

GENE BRADLEY. The playboy billionaire businessman and movie star. A gentleman and an adventurer.

LORD RAXBONE. Ice Lord of Mars. His mission: to recapture the honour of the Martian Empire.

The Doctor's companion Edward Bradley is thrust into a world of intrigue and mayhem. But being executed by the Palace Guard and escaping the clutches of the Ice Warriors are the least of his worries. Because Ed has been marked by the Time Bees... and the cataclysmic events that follow will shake Norombra to it's core and bring the whole galaxy under threat!

Ed has one hope left - that the Doctor will save him. Only this time the Doctor has problems of his own. After all, how can he save Ed... if he can't even save himself?

Empires will crumble, secrets will be revealed and loads of people will die in... The STING of the TIME BEES!
    Download Episode One NOW!

The Sting of The Time Bees - Episode 1

The Sting of The Time Bees - Episode 2

Right click the links above and choose 'Save as'. Then play the file!

If you want the Bees to come to you rather than you going to the Bees, why not subscribe to the PS Audios RSS feed? You can check for new content or let it download new items automatically. iTunes will also sync podcasts with your iPhone or iPod if you ask it to.

Just go to the Podcasts section in iTunes*, click "Advanced", "subscribe to podcast" and paste http://feeds.feedburner.com/PlanetSkaroAudios into the box. Easy - Beesy!

Doctor Who and TARDIS trademarks are copyright of the BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION - no infringement intended. This is a fan-produced endeavour - no personal monetary profit has been made from its creation.

This audio recording is (c) Planet Skaro 2010.

Our audio adventures are made strictly non-profit productions, made for the enjoyment of the members of Planet Skaro and other Doctor Who fans. Support the official BBC releases!
    Last edited by Philipnet; 20th Apr 2014 at 1:20 PM. Reason: Updated links and cover
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Thank goodness I'm not too buzzzzy to listen to this !
    Bazinga !

Oh no! The TIME BEES!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing this - this particular play has been very much Steve's project, so although I blagged a small part, I've not heard any of it! I have read the script though, and it's one of my favourites out of all the ones we've written. So I advise everyone to download this tomorrow, as I will be doing!

Si.

Is that Norombra as mentioned in "Heist!" or is it just a very, very, very, big coincidence?

*checks watch*

I'm waiting!

Si.

Five minutes to go, Si!

*I just got out of bed*
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    Is that Norombra as mentioned in "Heist!" or is it just a very, very, very, big coincidence?
    It would be an enormous coincidence if it wasn't... but you'll have to wait and see!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Download Episode One NOW!

The Sting of The Time Bees - Episode 1

Right click the link above and choose 'Save as'. Then play the file!

Doctor Who and TARDIS trademarks are copyright of the BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION - no infringement intended. This is a fan-produced endeavour - no personal monetary profit has been made from its creation.

This audio recording is (c) Planet Skaro 2010.

Our audio adventures are made strictly non-profit productions, made for the enjoyment of the members of Planet Skaro and other Doctor Who fans. Support the official BBC releases!

If you want the Bees to come to you rather than you going to the Bees, why not subscribe to the PS Audios RSS feed? You can check for new content or let it download new items automatically. iTunes will also sync podcasts with your iPhone or iPod if you ask it to.

Just go to the Podcasts section in iTunes*, click "Advanced", "subscribe to podcast" and paste http://feeds.feedburner.com/PlanetSkaroAudios into the box.

And if you've got an iPhone and you're subscribed to the podcast but you're away from home and desperate, pop into McDonalds, use their wifi, use their loo and it'll be downloaded by the time you've finished. Everyone's a winner.

*other media players are available and most will do something similar.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

If you want the Bees to come to you rather than you going to the Bees
    That's not a sentence you can use every day!

I've just been stung!!! Lovely opening episode, Mr Penny stealing the show of course as usual!! Good strong story, some nice bits of dialogue, a superb cliffhanger... Not to mention some sneaky jokes (Ed's Grandad in particular). It's also fun playing 'guess the voice' - I think Andrew C is Gene, yes, and is it putting in a superbly regal performance as the Queen? And that must be Mr Hunt 'doing a Griff' in the palace kitchens?

As the banner makes very clear, They're Back - Oh yes!!

The Griff is not me! Try again!

Si.

Like Harry Sullivan, I'm dreadfully bad on names. Apparently. Erm, is it... I don't know, who is it?

Right! This'll sort you out. I'll let you into a secret - the Doctor is played by one 'Paul Monk'.

Doctor Who – Paul Monk
    Ed Bradley – Martin Penny
    Gene Bradley – Andrew Clancy
    Mr Parminter – Simon Hart
    Lord Raxbone - Steven Alexander
    Sizleer - Si Hunt
    Arzax - Jason Thompson
    Princess Aldeera - Susan Alexander
    Porter 1 – Jason Thompson
    Porter 2 – Ant Cox
    Head Cook - Jonno Simmons
    Percival - Si Hunt
    Executioner - Steven Alexander
    Private Wildebeest - Phil Ludlum
    Major Orinoco - Jon Masters
    Private Jodrell - Ashley Culley

Actually I've now listened to the story and I don't know who you mean! I AM in the kitchen, it turns out, so it might be me. But I'm not the French chef, that's Jonno!

Well, I've listened to it now and I think it's marvellous! It's hard who to single out on the performances front, Martin Penny steals the bloody show as usual with his trademark Penny moments ("MICROWAVED?!?") and overall eccentric/startled delivery, but then I have a soft spot for Andrew Clancy's wonderful Gene in this - I love his speech about missing Cordelis' lips when he leaves and other asides. And Jonno is just marvellously surreal as the chef - and then there's Steve's Ice Warrior which it's equally obvious he's having a great time playing, and noble Queen which is pitched just perfectly (but then always pitches it perfectly!). And I rather like Si's Parminter too, subtly different from his other roles.

I do like the sound design, particuarly the ever present bees and the way the Doctor keeps popping in and out of existence as time freezes around him and Ed (that's how I interpreted the scenes anyway) and the whole thing is barmy and cartoonesque in a way we've come to expect from Steve's writing. Especially like the Court of Norombra, with Jason and the odd other chap garbling away about historical accuracy, the roaring crowds at the execution, and the way Queen Cordlis' address echoes round the court. I can see it all (in my minds eye) now as a colourful, costumed adventure, half-Merlin and half-Robin Hood, as I can the astonishing episode conclusion where the bees pour out of Ed's head..

Is the next part tomorrow?

Si.

Excellent stuff - I was chuckling to myself all round Sainsbury's this morning, but I'll need to give it another listen to spot everything I expect ( at Jonno's outrageous 'Allo Allo accent)
    Bazinga !

Yes, I didn't mean the French Chef (which I would never have guessed was Jonno, BTW, marvellous!) but his assistant, whose grumbling & moping kinda put me in mind of Griff from Enemy of T'World.

with Jason and the odd other chap garbling away about historical accuracy
    Yes, that was a lovely bit, made me chuckle.

Just had a listen, and wow I'm impressed. It was fun to record, but listening to it is a whole different experience. I almost didn't recognise myself as an Ice Warrior....

(imagine me jumping up and down excitedly as I ask) When's part 2? When's part 2? When's part 2?

I really enjoyed that. I feel very pleased to have been given such a great character to play (Gene Bradley)- he's got some great lines!!! I should apologise now for my terrible American accent - I think rather than 'Guess the Voices' as Andrew Curnow suggested, in my case it should really be 'guess the region'

As always Martin was excellent. In fact I really think everyone puts in a first class performance here. There are a few people in it who weren't present at the recording I went to - so that was a nice surprise. As an aside, have some of the voices been slowed down (I'm thinking of Ant Cox in particular) - I could tell it was him straight away but something still sounded a bit different (maybe he hadn't had any coffee that day)!
    Really good everyone - I love these audios.

Excellent production values too including some really different incidental music which I rather liked.

So, when is episode 2?

I thought that was quite marvellous!

I think Steve excels at witty dialogue, and everyone gets loads in this story! My favourite scene was probably the two porters discussing the flags, which was acted superbly by Ant and Jason. Gene Bradley might just be my favourite character in the PS Audio's so far, I love his 'silken' speech at the end of the episode. On the downside, there's hardly any Paul Monk!

The production is spot on as well, with the Bees sounding rather creepy! The scene with Ed running through the palace worked really well too, I never lost track of where he was.

Oh, and I think that was probably the best cliffhanger we've had so far.

On the downside, there's hardly any Paul Monk!
    Thanks Martin. The upside though, is that I have absolutely no idea what this story is about and so can enjoy it in the same way as everyone else.

Thanks for your comments everybody! I have to say, without such superb work from the acting boys and girls it wouldn't be nearly as good. I was delighted with everyone's work on this story - particularly everyone labouring under an alien voice or strange accent!

Jonno's outrageous 'Allo Allo accent
    Jonno was a bit taken aback when I asked him to do a French accent! It's great though, of course he's a French chef, it's only natural! With Si's gruff London voice as well someone described it as 'Allo Allo meets Mike Reid!

I should apologise now for my terrible American accent
    I think it works really well and I'm impressed you kept it going as well as you did. Perhaps I should let people know in advance if I want them to do an accent?

Gene Bradley might just be my favourite character in the PS Audio's so far
    Poor old Ed, he does suffer with that man as his grandad. Gene is loosely based on a fairly well known Movie & TV star, but I couldn't possibly comment on who it might be.

I have absolutely no idea what this story is about
    But... but... the Doctor gets all the exposition still! I didn't want you to feel left out!

When's part 2? When's part 2? When's part 2?
    This Saturday! This Saturday! This Saturday!

Part of the plan with this story was to push Ed as far as possible. Tune in next time to hear him going right over the edge!

I want it now.

Are we talking about the play or something else now, Si?