Default New Adventures Reprint?

Well this is the oddest damned thing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Doctor-W...1130583&sr=8-1

There's also Set Piece, Sleepy, The Room With No Doors and The Return of the Living Dad.

They're all listed as Paperback - 28 Feb 2011.

Can anyone light any sheds on this?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Well they are all by Kate Orman. That's a link.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Captain Tancredi Guest

As I understand it, general publishing industry practice is for copyright to revert to the author if a book ever goes out of print. Perhaps she's found a way to make it viable, particularly as the last two had a very limited time on the shelves, although Hummingbird and Sleepy are both middle bits of wider story arcs if I remember rightly.

Has anybody seen any more info on these? I see Amazon are listing Kate O's EDAs as well (Vampire Science, Seeing I, etc). And even So Vile A Sin!

Edited to Add: Lance Parkin's three EDAs (Father Time, Trading Futures and The Gallifrey Chronicles) are also listed for publication on the same date, 28-02-11. All very odd!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    And even So Vile A Sin!
    And completely brilliant if true - two fingers to those on E-Bay who try to flog it for £75 a copy !!
    Bazinga !

The Kindle should in theory allow books like the NAs to be permanently "in print" at practically no cost to the author or a publisher. It would depend on the individual author if they own the copyright and possibly the BBC but hopefully that's how publishing will go.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    The Kindle should in theory allow books like the NAs to be permanently "in print" at practically no cost to the author or a publisher. It would depend on the individual author if they own the copyright and possibly the BBC but hopefully that's how publishing will go.
    All hail the eBooks revolution!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Here is a sort of explantion thingy from lance Parkin on Gallifrey Base:

I understand the confusion, and appreciate the interest ... but you're all over-thinking this one.

Ebury bought Virgin Books and BBC Books. They have the rights to all the books, except where the authors have explicitly got the rights back (this usually happens when a book's out of print. The rights to my Virgin books reverted to me in 1999, the rights to the BBC ones are still with the BBC).

So ... were these reprints to go ahead, they'd be just that: straightforward reprints of an existing BBC title. Not a relaunch for the range or a reissue or part of some themed series or an anthology or anything complicated, just some more copies of the existing books.

There are no complicated logistics involved if the BBC retain rights. They just tell the printers to print some new copies. Where rights have reverted, it does get more complicated, but in my case, that doesn't apply. They could reprint the entire range tomorrow (barring any books where the author took the rights back) ... the questions are simply ones of demand. Is there a massive untapped demand for Trading Futures? Personally, I suspect not, and I suspect that all these books will vanish from the listings fairly soon. But that's not my call to make.

The other thing I'd add: these are just everyday publishing decisions. Every so often, someone at every publisher is going to look at their backlist and look at the market and say 'I wonder if we should reprint this?'. They'll ask for some numbers, look at their overall strategy and the resources available and reach a decision that way. Same as any company that makes anything. The difference here is that Doctor Who has fans who spot things that show up on online databases while that question's being considered.
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

So does that imply that if loads of people pre-ordered these now on Amazon, the publishers are more likely to re-issue them ?
    Bazinga !