Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

There's a lot of numbers being bandied around at the moment but the bottom line is that 2 million more people voted for the Tories than they did for Labour hence the Tories now have 100 more seats than Labour as opposed to 2010 when they only had 50 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    There's a lot of numbers being bandied around at the moment but the bottom line is that 2 million more people voted for the Tories than they did for Labour hence the Tories now have 100 more seats than Labour as opposed to 2010 when they only had 50 more.
    Wasn't quite the point I was making, Richard - no problem with how the system works if that's being viewed as fair. But these new strike rules will require a turn out of at least 50% with at least 40% of all of the registered union members voting in favour. It gets my goat when business leaders crow on about how its about time we had a fair system for deciding strikes, yet we elect politicians (of ALL parties) on the basis of a tiny proportion of the total registered electorate.

If it's good enough for strikes then maybe they'd like to put the same system in place for, say, voting for Mayor.
    Bazinga !

Is there an issue with getting 40% of all of the registered union members to vote?

If it was a general election, a 40% turn out at the polls is crap to me.

(this may seem somewhat naive, but I don't know the issues here)
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge