Default Doctor Who: The Video Games

Hot on the heels of the Adventure Games are these:

Matt Smith and Karen Gillan will feature in Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth on Nintendo DS and Doctor Who: Return to Earth on Nintendo Wii.

The world’s longest running science fiction TV series Doctor Who will be brought to life on Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ this winter by game developer Asylum Entertainment and global distributor Koch Media Ltd.

Licensed by BBC Worldwide and based on the top-rated television series starring the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, and his Companion Amy Pond played by Karen Gillan - Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth for Nintendo DS and Doctor Who: Return to Earth for Wii will hit retailers in the UK, Australia and selected territories across Europe.

Inspired by the Doctor’s adventures across time and space, Doctor Who: Evacuation Earth and Doctor Who: Return to Earth have been carefully developed to capture the imagination of Doctor Who fans and will enable the entire family to become the Doctor and Companion Amy in stories written with the Doctor Who production team.

Simon Bailey, Managing Director of Asylum Entertainment comments: “We are incredibly excited to be collaborating with BBC Worldwide on these two new games. It is our firm belief that the franchise has massive potential on the Nintendo DS and Wii formats and it’s an honour to be bringing Doctor Who video games to the show’s huge fan base.”
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Alas, having neither a DS nor a Wii, I will not be getting either of these.

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

The Wii controller is just made to double as a Sonic Screwdriver though.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I greatly approve of this news.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Technically they are video games and not computer games as neither will run on a computer ... Si should have got some help from Steve on that one ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Pedant!

Si xx

If you really wanted to get pedantic you could argue that since the DS and Wii do in fact 'compute' they are indeed computers albeit not in the IBM compatible sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Technically they are video games and not computer games as neither will run on a computer ... Si should have got some help from Steve on that one ...
    Well, there are ways of fiddling with emulators and such...
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Would this make buying a Wii worthwhile i wonder... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/s...ii-ds.html?rss

Yes, i think, is the answer!

Si xx

I bet those won't get released over here.

There's some news about the content of the games and stuff here: http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.co...es-update.html

Si xx

The reviews aren't entirely positive for the Wii game.

The Doctor and Amy Pond discover an odd signal coming from (according to the game manual) the edge of the solar system - Jupiter. The investigation brings them to a human colony ship - the SS Lucy Gray. It’s damaged and deserted and before they can find out what’s going on The Doctor and Amy get separated. It’s up to you to guide The Doctor and Amy and discover what happened on the SS Lucy Gray - and it’s more than just the ship that is at stake.

The premise of the plot is worthy of a TV episode, especially when combined with the DS game Evacuation Earth, which is set a few hundred years before, and slightly after, Return to Earth. The execution of the plot, however, is a very different story altogether. Matt Smith and Karen Gillian both sound as if they were simply given a list of lines with no context and the almost complete lack of animation during cut-scenes doesn't suit a character as eccentric as Matt Smith’s Doctor.

Even so, the execution of the story is near perfection compared to the execution of the game itself. The main game is based around shooting coloured crystals at similar coloured orbs. Green crystals open locked doors, yellow ones activate a distraction, red ones are essentially an “action” button, orange ones are for opening bonus areas, purple ones activates machinery and blue ones trigger the end-of-level mini-game. These crystals need to be collected from dispensers called “brothers” and you can only hold a total of six crystals at a time. In order to collect the crystal you need to avoid their cone of vision. To fire a crystal you need to stand still, hold A to go into aiming mode, aim with the pointer, hold B to charge up the crystal and release to fire. The orbs that you need to shoot don’t stay still, instead they wriggle around. As the crystal, shot from the Sonic Screwdriver, takes a few seconds to travel to it’s destination these orbs can be incredibly tricky to hit. One pesky blighter took me over twenty shots to hit and I had to complete a puzzle to get back to the dispenser each time I ran out.

Similar to the brothers, enemies also have a cone of vision. Enemies that spot you will head in your general direction and if you stay in their vision for a few seconds they will open fire. Head out of their vision for a few seconds and they’ll forget about you. If this sounds eerily familiar then you’ve probably played Doctor Who: The Adventure Games (coincidentally, developers Sumo Digital are mentioned in the credits). Some enemies need to be snuck past while others need destroying. You’ll need to lure them into traps and activate them. This would be fun if it wasn’t for the fact that you were shooting coloured icons - they just completely take all feeling out of moments that should be rewarding. It never feels like you’re actually interacting with the environment.

At the end of each level you’ll need to complete a mini-game, of which there are two. The first you’ll encounter involves manoeuvring an electrified ball around a circuit board maze. While moving through the maze you’ll need to use the Pointer to activate slow-down switches so you can make your way past various obstacles, such as sliding doors, fans and laser grids. As strange as it sounds more effort appears to have gone into this mini-game than anything else. On their own they may be incredibly dull and frustrating but after going through a level of the main game, it feels like a masterpiece. The second mini-game involves using a repulsion beam to push away approaching asteroids while using a tractor beam to bring in the object you need. It’s easy, dull and forgettable.

The graphics of Return to Earth are downright insulting to the Wii. The Doctor and Amy’s models look like they were designed for a cel-shame with disproportionate features and everything else is just incredibly basic. When you destroy an enemy nothing about them changes - they just stay still for five seconds then simply vanish and developers Asylum have attempted to add detail by putting random scenery in random places. There was one room with lots of hovering platforms and some kind of liquid pouring into a non-existent pool at the bottom. In one corner was a few desks, with random objects such as a bag of golf clubs. Furthermore, the camera angles make manoeuvring ten times harder than it should be - which is rather frustrating when you need to move precisely across those hovering platforms. If you have a modern TV then make sure to change the settings: Return to Earth lacks a widescreen option.

Doctor Who: Return to Earth is not fun to play at all. It’s incredibly basic and yet frustratingly difficult for all the wrong reasons. The entire crystal/orb system is incredibly out-of-place and removes any feeling that you’re interacting with the environment. If I had to describe Return to Earth in one word it would be “evil”. Parents will likely see this game and, due to the fact that Doctor Who is on the box, will buy this for their kids as a Christmas present. It certainly feels as though Asylum know this, and have churned out any old rubbish as working hard on it won’t be much more profitable. Just think of all the kids that will be over the moon when they open this on Christmas day, only to have their hearts completely destroyed when they start playing it.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

That doesn't bode well for my nephew's christmas present. Oh well, I'll let you know after we've all played it on Boxing Day.

Si xx

Who's present?

As a lifelong Nintendo and Doctor Who fan, this makes me a very sad panda.

The DS Game is apparently a decent Professor Layton clone, however.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

Its made even worse because the games on the BBC website were quite good and free!

I seem to have been right so far about it not getting released in the US. Though from the reviews that may not be such a terrible thing after all. Besides the above quoted review:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The game was panned by critics. Official Nintendo Magazine, scoring only 19% and branded 'an insult to Doctor Who fans'.[7] However it ranked at 11 on the UK Wii sales charts for the week.[8]

Video game talk show Good Game's two presenters gave the game a 1 and 1.5 out of 10 saying "It's one of the worst games I've ever played." Also saying that the graphics looked like a PlayStation or Nintendo 64 game and that with the gameplay that you spend as much time trying to actually see the enemies as you do trying to avoid them. [9]
    The DS game, Evacuation Earth, isn't faring much better:

Video game talk show Good Game's two presenters gave the game a 3 and 2 out of 10 saying "it makes the fatal mistake of ignoring pretty much everything that makes Doctor Who great." Also claiming that the developers just grabbed a puzzle game off the shelf, scribbled out the title and stuck a Doctor Who sticker in its place.[8]

The Official Nintendo Magazinerated it as 69%, saying that "It's funny, it's lengthy and it'll test their logic skills at the same time. But any Doctor Who fans of secondary school age or older are more likely to feel left out, because this clearly wasn't meant for you."

Is there going to be a release for the Not-Wii?

No, I don't think they are planning to release it on any other platforms.