Default A story : Relic From Yesterday, Part one

Ummm...

It does say posters can share their fiction here so here's a short story I recently completed. It's not Doctor Who, but it is science fiction of a kind. I hope you enjoy it.

Relic From Yesterday Part One

An hour to dusk. The wailing wind echoed throughout the empty streets of the city, a doleful forewarning of the approaching night. If there was anyone left to hear. For this in fact was an abandoned, ruined city, a decaying monument to a hallowed time lost forever. As the earliest shadows appeared, they painted every fractured surface an eerie premature gray. The broken old city seemed even more ominous now, with its crumbling buildings and dilapidated streets almost hidden from view. But against the fast encroaching darkness were quick, lithe footsteps. Someone was running, running away from the city and its myriad dangers. Five minutes more and the city was in silence once again.

“Lullaby and good night, go to sleep my baby…” Karina Zynx stopped singing and rose from the old rocking chair as her baby daughter, Emma, finally closed her eyes. Sighing, Karina carried the baby over to the cradle, kissed her forehead and gently lay her in it, carefully placing a blanket around her. Then she moved over toward the window and shivered. The first subtle shadows poised in the evening air She could feel the drafts penetrating to her bones, as surely as darkness would fall within the hour. She noticed her husband Mark’s silhouette outside briefly, then moved away from the window, rubbing her hands. As she walked back to the cradle and gazed down at little Emma sleeping, she whispered a prayer to a god she was afraid didn’t exist. Please dear God, not again. Let my baby live. Karen peered down at her daughter, trying not to worry. It was so chilly in here, what if the baby caught cold? She took a deep breath, willing herself again to calm her fears. There was no reason to worry, Ruth Miller, the midwife, had told her so and so did Mark.
    Glancing at the door, she wondered when he would come inside. Every night some of the young men of the village would gather to talk amongst themselves. When she asked what they talked about, Mark assured her it was nothing important. They were just hanging out, relaxing after working all day before the winter night drove them inside. Karina had a feeling inside her that wasn’t entirely true. You don’t live with someone you love day after day for three years without seeing a look in their eyes, a hunger, a need. Karina gazed down at Emma sleeping. Losing their son Johnny was hard on Mark too. When Emma was born Mark had vowed to give his family a better life. Karina realized that was the real need she saw in her husband’s eyes.

Under the hazy twilight sky, three young men stood together talking in whispers. “He’s never been this late before, do you think something happened to him?” Jeb Ellis asked.
    “Who knows? I think Paul’s a damn idiot for going alone,” Zach LaChance replied as he looked toward the dirt road in the distance.
    “He’s stubborn. He always does things his own way, you know that,” Mark Zynx said, running his hand through his gray tinged dark hair as he focused on the dirt road.
    “It’ll be night soon, if he doesn’t come back…” Zach continued.
    “Look, there he is!” Mark interrupted, pointing up ahead to the right.
    Rushing toward them, emerging from the evening shadows was a grimy Paul Bernard, who clutched a small dark bag tightly in his arms. As he neared the three men they noticed Paul was drenched in sweat, an open wound on his chin. Paul half collapsed to the ground, dropping the sack beside him. He closed his eyes for a few moments, taking numerous deep breaths as he tried to relax.
    Zach barely waited until Paul opened his eyes again, then he asked, “What happened to you back there? You look like hell.”
    Paul shook his head back and forth slowly, looking first at Zach, then at Mark and Jeb. When he replied his voice was hushed, but firm. “Nothing happened, the city’s in shambles. It took more time than I thought, that’s all.”
    The men looked at each other in confusion. Paul looked more than exhausted, was there something he was neglecting to say? But another moment later Paul’s words were all but forgotten as the men’s gazes quickly turned to the bag and its contents.
    “Did you find anything this time?” Jeb asked, his eyes moving quickly from the bag back to Paul.
    Paul hesitated momentarily, watching the eagerness in their faces. “You bet I did,” he replied quickly, already reaching into his bag and drawing something out. “See?”
    Zach, Mark and Jeb moved in closer to Paul to get a better look. The object was a relic, dark gray, made of a hard material that was completely unknown to them. It was small, not even six inches long, with many tiny numbered buttons on it, but what function they served none of them knew.
    Mark’s eyes widened in curiosity. “What is it?” He asked in a whisper.
    “Where exactly you find it?” Zach added, slowly extending his arm to touch the object.
    There was a moment of silence, then someone said quickly, “That will have to wait until another time, sorry.”
    So intent were the young men on the mysterious item in Paul’s hand that they neglected to hear the healer, old Dr. Paxton approaching. The bald healer leaned heavily on his cane, peering at the relic for a few moments, before Paul slipped his prize back into the sack. Then, the healer looked at each of the men in turn with a piercing gaze. “It’s almost nightfall, now. Time for you to go home to your own families. Go on,” he chided in a clear commanding voice.
    Zach mumbled something under his breath as he withdrew his arm, while Jeb and Mark exchanged unhappy glances. For a long moment no one said a word.
    “Yes, healer,” Paul said at last, bundling his bag up quickly. The others glanced back at the healer with sober expressions. They were disappointed, but Dr. Paxton was too respected in their village for his word to be ignored. Slowly, Jeb moved a step away first and nodded to the others. “Till tomorrow then, guys. Night.”
    “Night.” They nodded back, then each of them headed for their homes.

Mark glanced back briefly, the healer was hobbling slowly away, the other men were already out of sight. Mark quickened his pace toward the wooden cabin he shared with Karina and Emma. As he walked he wondered what that unusual artifact that Paul found could possible be. He couldn’t even guess, but what he was sure of, was that it belonged to the before time. Anything from the before time was valuable. Shaking his head in thought, Mark paused before opening the door to his cabin Home was always the best part of his day.
    ‘Karina?’ He called softly.
    She was tending the hearth when she heard the door open, his voice saying her name. Quickly she left the fire and moved up to him.
    ‘Hey, you look tired, Kare,” he said, kissing her.
    ‘I’m not tired at all,” she replied, looking up into his dark brown eyes. “Are you?”
    “Not now. Is Emma asleep?” He asked, his voice noticeably softer as he took a few steps toward the cradle.
    Karina nodded. “Ruth Miller was right, the rocking chair worked wonders.”
    “So do you.” His glance moved from the sleeping baby back to Karina.
    She was silent for a moment, almost embarrassed. “Don’t make me blush now, Mark. Supper’s just about ready.”
    “All right.” He chuckled softly as he moved back to her and smiled into her eyes. “Save that for later. Let’s eat.”

In the delicate languid hush of the night, Mark awoke to the sounds of the crackling of the fire. As Karina slept close beside him, their daughter tucked in her crib nearby, Mark considered how important his family was to him. Life in Kingsfield was arduous, every able-bodied person older than fourteen worked from sunup to sundown in some capacity. There was precious little time for play or fun; real leisure was inconceivable. Only at night was there any respite. When Mark returned home each night to Karina and Emma would he have any reason to smile. His wife and daughter were his joy and comfort in a monotonous, harsh existence. As he lay quietly in bed, listening to the fire and Karina’s soft rhythmic breathing on his cheek, a familiar thought echoed through his mind. Providing for his family, relieving the burdens in their lives. After what he glimpsed yesterday, maybe there was a way he could give his family more.

to be continued...
    Last edited by BettyZygon; 15th Jan 2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: A tiny typo
    I came, I saw, I posted.

Part Two...

Sunday morning was still and quiet when Paul Bernard awakened. He opened his eyes slowly to see a small figure moving across the room toward the hearth carrying wood to replenish the dwindling fire. His pregnant young wife Marybeth carefully dropped the lumber onto the fire, then backed away quickly. For a few moments she watched the crackling flames, unaware that her husband was watching her intently.
    Dressed already, Marybeth?
    She turned around abruptly, her brown eyes wide in surprise. Good morning. I hope I didnt wake you, she began, her voice soft and hesitant.
    He shook his head, yawning. Not really, my dear.
    Good. Services start early today for the beginning of Advent. Im going with your sister in a few minutes, she answered, noticing his wound was just as red as it was the previous night.
    Paul sat up in bed stretching. Ah yes, I remember. Run along now if youd like, Ill mind the fire.
    She almost smiled in response. Really? I have breakfast ready in the warming pot, and the bread is sliced already. She paused, then reached for her cloak hanging over a chair.
    Good enough. Say hello to Louisa for me.
    I will. She moved toward the doorway, wrapping her cloak around her as she opened the door.
    Paul waited until Marybeth closed the door behind her before he rose from the bed. He stood up slowly, then strode over to the window and watched Marybeth head over to his sisters small cabin. He waited until he saw the cabin door open and Marybeth enter, then he turned around, moved to the door and bolted it. Quickly, he walked up to the hearth. Closing his eyes he stood still, feeling the heat from the flames warm his entire body. After yesterday, he welcomed being safe and warm in his own house.
    Suddenly feeling his stomach grumbling, Paul opened his eyes, but he didnt eat right away. Instead, he hesitated briefly, then reached high up on the left of the hearth and removed two bricks. There was a small opening inside the hearth, from which he removed a small dark burlap bag, the same one he had shown to Zach, Mark and Jeb last night. He walked over to the table, sat down and put the bag before him on the table. As he sat staring at the bag, he thought about all the risks he had taken in the abandoned city to acquire the contents within it. Every minute in that wretched city had proven dangerous. In truth, the city was really more like a jungle wasteland. Feral cats, dogs and vermin of all kinds prowled everywhere, scavenging for food. Of course, the hostile, untamed animals werent the only danger. Paul rubbed the wound on his chin lightly. He wasnt shocked to encounter a few wild, desperate people roaming throughout the city. Never mind having to fight to protect what was rightfully his, he had to fight just to stay alive. Still, his rewards were well worth the risks. He opened his bag and withdrew several artifacts, including the one he had shown his friends. If only that nosy old healer hadnt interrupted them. Oh well, thered be another time, he was sure. Paul had glimpsed the keen interest in their eyes.
    Paul had just finished eating a few minutes later when someone knocked on the door. He got up and moved to the door as the knocking continued. Knowing his wife would not be back that soon, he asked in a loud voice, Whos there?
    Its me, Mark. Can I talk to you for a few minutes?
    A slight smile appeared on Pauls face. Whats it about?
    Yesterday, Mark answered, looking around him quickly to see if anyone was nearby. Listen Paul, can I come in?
    Wait. Hurriedly, Paul put all the artifacts back in his bag, leaving only the unknown gray vestige on the table. He replaced the bag inside the hearth and pushed the two bricks back in place. A moment later he was opening the door. All right, Mark. Come in.
    Thanks. Mark stepped inside quickly, pausing to look around the cabin. After a moment his eyes focused on the gray token on the table. Paul followed Marks gaze and waited for him to speak.
    Mark gestured toward the table. Have you figured out what that relic is yet?
    Paul shook his head. Not yet, but I will. He waited another moment, then pulled out a chair at the table for himself. Sit down, Mark. Whats on your mind?
    Mark was staring at the gray relic, but he turned to Paul quickly. Its about how you found that antique in the old city yesterday. How difficult was it?
    What do you think? I told you the city is mostly wreckage. Finding anything in one piece aint easy.
    Yeah, I remember, Mark hesitated, noticing that the wound on Pauls chin. But you went there a couple of times now and you usually return with something.
    Now it was Pauls turn to pause and just look at his friend. What do you want, Mark? Do you want to buy one of my possessions from the before time?
    No. Marks answer was emphatic, then he lowered his voice again. I want to go to the old city myself and search for artifacts.
    You do? Why?
    Mark raised an eyebrow. Youve gone there more than once. Why do you go?
    Paul considered for a moment, then a hint of a smile touched his lips. The excitement, I guess. And coming home with something others will pay me for.
    Mark shook his head. I dont care about the excitement. I just want to find something that can help my family.
    Ah, so thats your reason. Youre having trouble providing for Karina and the baby.
    Mark flushed, his hands gripping the table, but he kept his voice under control. I am not having trouble. He stood up suddenly and turned around. Forget it. I thought I could go with you, since you admitted in the past going alone can be treacherous. But Ill go with someone else, Zach maybe.
    It is treacherous. Very. I dont want you having any illusions about going, thinking its an easy expedition. It isnt.
    Mark stopped, looking back at Paul once more. You mean you dont mind if I come along next time?
    Paul gave Mark a hard stare. I mean we can talk about it. Sit down again.
    I came, I saw, I posted.

Part three

Dr. Bartholomew Paxton stood still under the midday sun catching his breath. After calling on Charles Johnson, who was feeling better, the healer was a little tired from walking. He leaned on his cane as he glanced around, taking note of all the people he had seen go by. A little ahead were Jeb and Grace Ellis, most likely on their way to visit Graces elderly mother for dinner. Just leaving her sisters cabin the healer caught a glimpse of Marybeth Bernard, probably en route home. Marybeth and her sister Louisa had attended church together earlier, but as usual their husbands werent with them. More unusual to the old doctor was that Mark Zynx hadnt accompanied his wife and baby daughter to St. Isadores. The healer paused, he had been pleased that baby Emma slept peacefully in church, but Karina had looked somewhat distracted. As Dr. Paxton resumed limping along a thought was beginning to develop in his mind. Yesterday he had seen a relic from the before time in Pauls hands, today Mark was absent from church. Coincidence? The healer deliberately changed direction and turned toward St. Isadores. There was one person there he needed to talk to now.
    He leaned heavily on his cane as he climbed the steps to St. Isadores rectory. A moment after he knocked, Father Jose Moniz opened the door. Why Bartholomew. Good day.
    Good afternoon, Father Joe. The elderly healer took a deep breath before continuing. Im not interrupting your dinner, am I?
    Not at all. Anna hasnt even arrived to cook dinner yet. Come in, please, the priest opened the door wide and motioned toward the chair nearest the hearth. Sit down, Doctor. What can I do for you?
    Dr. Paxton settled into the wooden chair before the fire and sighed. Its about the lure of the old city. Paul Bernard has retrieved more relics from there again.
    The gray haired priest shook his head as he sat opposite the healer. I was afraid this would happen. Some of our young men just cant resist the temptation.
    Father Joe, you have to say something. Remind all our citizens that going to the old city is almost a sin. The healer hesitated when he noticed the priests somber expression.
    Bartholomew, I wish I could do that in good conscience. But how can I when its no secret that the old bible and chalice here at St. Isadores were salvaged from the city many years ago? He peered at the old healer. You have an artifact from the before time too, a watch, if I remember correctly.
    Dr. Paxton didnt flinch. I paid a high price for that vestige. I lost my father and older brother soon after they salvaged that watch.
    Father Joe nodded. I know. Almost everyone who makes the journey to that ruined city pays the price. Tragedy follows them. How many funerals have there been in our parish, or in this entire town of Kingsland? Too many.
    The old doctor shivered as he spoke. Years and years of watching tragedies happen. I know you dont believe in curses, Father, but that city is poisonous.

The days that followed passed by quickly, but the virulent chill of winter lingered on. Mark hardly noticed the frigid air, so preoccupied was he with his impending journey to the old city. He still marveled that Paul had relented and accepted him going along. A moment later however, Marks thoughts turned to Karina. He had yet to tell her of his decision to travel to the old city. He paused as he considered exactly how to tell her. Karina deserved to know what he had planned, he only hoped shed understand. That night, Wednesday evening, Mark waved off the small group of young men speaking in the early twilight and crossed the road toward home.
    Mark opened the door to the cabin, ready to call Karinas name. But she was seated in the rocking chair by the hearth, holding Emma, both of them asleep. As quietly as he could, Mark closed the door behind him and walked up to them. For a few moments he simply gazed at his wife and daughter, a wave of love flowing through his heart.
    Karinas eyes suddenly fluttered open. Mark, youre home already?
    He smiled down at her, his voice a whisper. Yep. Sleeping long?
    I was nursing the baby, I guess I must have dozed off. She yawned and rose from the rocker, holding Emma close as she moved to the crib and tucked the baby in. She turned back to Mark with dismay. Sorry, honey. Supper will be ready soon.
    He grasped her hand. Later.
    Karina looked into his dark in eyes in surprise. Mark?
    He didnt release her hand as he led her back to the chair by the fire. Sit down, love. I need to talk to you.
    Karinas eyes never left her husband as he sat beside her and began to speak. Mark squeezed her hand, saying in a quiet tone, Karina, I have a chance to finally do something for you and Emma Im going to the old city with Paul Bernard on Saturday and search for artifacts from the before time. Mark paused, but Karina didnt say anything then, though her brown eyes were still focused intently on him. After another moment he continued, If Im lucky, Ill find something that will benefit you and our baby.
    She waited a few seconds, taking a deep breath before leaning closer to Mark and grasping his hand tighter. Sweetheart, didnt you believe me when I said Emma and I have everything we need?
    Of course I believe you, you know that. Its just that I want to give you and Emma so much more.
    Karina bit her lip for a second before she spoke. But its dangerous to go into the old city. All the old ones say so.
    Mark shook his head. Who says so?
    Karina kept her voice low, but with intensity. The healer, Doctor Paxton, and his sister, Ruth, the midwife. They say there are hideous monsters, savage animals and people there. Theyre not the only ones whove said that.
    Mark could already see the worry brimming in her eyes. Yes, he had heard all the old legends of the dangers in the old city all his life. Even Paul had warned him of the perils they might face. Some of them were undoubtedly true. But all he had seen in Pauls cabin had only strengthened his desire to go to the old city. Mark hesitated, stroking Karinas hand, thinking of what he could say to reassure her hed be careful. I already know about whats in the city. Yes, its dangerous and we have to be careful, but its mostly a deserted, wrecked city. And the wild animals living there are cats, dogs and some nasty vermin. Nothing Paul and I cant handle, really.
    But She shook her head slowly.

Karina stopped herself from saying more. She gazed into his eyes intently and realized that his mind was already made up. Nothing she could say would dissuade him, shed only seem like a foolish worrywart, or even worse, a shrew if she argued with him. So she bit back the words on her tongue and instead remembered why Mark wanted to go to the old city. To give them all that he could, out of love. How could she argue with that? She swallowed, saying, I understand, Mark.
    His voice softened as he smiled into her eyes. Ill be careful, Kare, promise.

Saturday morning. Dawn was still over a half hour away and Mark was already dressed, preparing to meet Paul before the sun rose. With barely a sound, by the light of a solitary candle, hed gathered everything he thought he would need and slipped them into the various pockets of his cloak He paused at the hearth to feed the fire and on impulse grabbed a small knife and slid it inside his shirt pocket. When he was finished he glanced around the cabin. He wasnt really surprised to see that Karina peering at him with wide eyes. He moved over to the bed, saying in a hushed tone, Im sorry I woke you.
    I was already awake, she admitted softly. Karina rose, with a quiet step checked to see if Emma was still sleeping, then crossed over to the fire. Its so cold today, she began, shivering even by the heat of the hearth. Have you dressed warm enough?
    He nodded, walking up to her and kissing her forehead. I have, yes. Try not to worry too much, love. I have to go now, Ill be back by sundown.
    Her eyes glistened with the hint of anxious tears. She blinked twice, swallowing hard. Okay, honey. I know youll be careful. Take care.
    Matk grasped Karinas hand for a moment longer, then he was gone. She wiped her eyes quickly then moved to the window and watched him until long after his footsteps had faded away.
    Under the fading moon glow of the morning, Mark made his way toward Paul Bernards cabin. He pulled his cloak tighter around him as he walked. The coming day would be cold but clear, almost ideal for the imminent trek. As he approached the cabin he hesitated, he saw a faint candlelight through a window. Perhaps he had arrived too early and Paul needed a few more minutes. No, in the next moment, Paul appeared at the door and stepped outside.
    Right on time, I see, Paul said, adjusting the small black bag he was carrying. Are you ready?
    I came, I saw, I posted.

Default The Final part of "Relic From Yesterday"

The conclusion:

“Whenever you are.” Mark turned and moved ahead.
    “Hold on there, there are a couple of things first.”
    Mark paused and looked back at Paul, noticing in the predawn darkness the wound on his chin was swollen. “Like what?”
    Paul spoke in a whisper. “Once we get to the outskirts of the city in a couple of hours, don’t talk. I don’t expect trouble but it’s best to be as quiet as possible. Remember, you already agreed to follow my lead. No going off on your own looking for artifacts.”
    Mark nodded. “Yeah, okay. Anything else?”
    “Just one. You haven’t told anyone about our little trip, have you?”
    “No. Just Karina.”
    “I suppose you had to tell her. Marybeth won’t say anything, she knows better,” he smiled thinly. “She was still asleep when I closed the door,” he shifted the bag in his hands. “Right then, let’s move, we have a hard walk ahead.”
    He strode ahead first, leaving Mark to follow close behind. For a while neither spoke, both intent on traveling as quickly as possible. If they had taken horses, they would’ve made faster progress, of course. But Paul had explained that within the ruined city, unprotected horses would be an attractive target for any other person roaming around. It was a risk just not worth taking.
    Walking into an enigma. Just a mile after passing the city limits of Kingsland, Mark barely recognized the terrain or the surroundings. It was wild and primitive, the trees and bush so dense the thickets tore at his legs. Mile after mile they continued moving steadily in uneasy silence, the blush of the morning light only partially shining through the thick foliage. Taking a deep breath, Mark concentrated on following Paul’s lead. He didn’t focus on the strange wreckage and trash that littered the area, not veering from the path Paul was making. However, Mark hesitated behind Paul as he noticed more and more dead animals along their route, their skeletal bodies decaying to dust. Mark wondered how long they had been lying in waste there, slowly rotting, day after day. Shivering slightly, he tried to look ahead beyond the trees when Paul suddenly turned around to Mark.
    “Have you ever been this far from Kingsfield before?”
    “Not in this direction…” Mark’s voice trailed off momentarily as looked all around, his face tense and alert.
    Paul narrowed his eyes as he wiped his face with a handkerchief. “I thought as much. We have a little ways to go before we reach the city. Keep moving, no matter what else you see along the way.”
    Mark nodded grimly. Whatever strange, portentous things they might encounter mustn’t delay their journey to the ruined city. Further ahead the vegetation seemed to thin out altogether, but what was beyond he couldn’t see. He just saw emptiness. Mark was looking up at the sun to gauge the time when Paul again unexpectedly stopped in his tracks.
    “What is it?”
    Paul’s took a deep breath. “Listen.”
    At first Mark didn’t hear anything at all. Then a moment later he understood. There was no noise, no birds squawking, no insects flying around his face. All the sounds of nature had quieted. Only the persistent drone of the wind remained, rushing forward into open space. Mark pointed up ahead. “The city’s close by, isn’t it?”
    “You get first prize,” Paul said sarcastically, wiping his face again with the handkerchief. “Now be quiet and try to keep up.”

Standing at the precipice of a lost world. Mark could feel his heart racing when he and Paul reached the wretched, forlorn city at last. Behind them the wilderness was but a prelude to the somber spectacle of a dead civilization. If the stories he had heard were true, this grand, decaying metropolis had been desolate hundreds of years. What had happened here? War, disease, whatever the catastrophe that doomed this city to oblivion, they would never know. That knowledge was long ago lost in the recesses of history.
    Mark turned to Paul, who was staring back at him. “Not what you expected, is it?”
    “No. It’s enormous,” Mark began, his eyes trying to take in all the strange images: the tall, crumpled buildings, the ravaged streets that were barely passable. He detected a peculiar musty odor that was already invading his nostrils. Coughing, he added, “Where would we even start looking for relics?”
    Paul snorted. “A few places, if you don’t mind getting dirty. Come on, finding anything intact takes time. Follow me and don’t get distracted.”

Karina tightened her kerchief under her chin and looked up into the frigid sky. Midday now, the sun above was shining brightly, but without warmth, she could see her breath condensing as she exhaled. Where was Mark now? Scavenging through some building that was near collapse? No… she shook her head, tearing that negative thought from her mind. Worrying wouldn’t help. She closed the door and walked over and picked up Emma. “Daddy will be home by tonight, my little one.”

Paul Bernard swore under his breath. Noon now and still nothing to show for all their efforts. They had spent most of their time digging in various locations, only to discover when they found something interesting, it broke apart instantly.
    “Now what?” Mark asked. looking around.
    “I’m not through yet,” Paul replied, a little short of breath. “There are a couple of places I haven’t really searched before. Follow me.”
    Perhaps Mark wasn’t the only one who was following Paul. So far they had been lucky, the feral animals they had encountered close up, the enormous river rats, the wild dogs had kept their distance. Now though, Mark thought he heard faint footsteps several paces behind them.
    Paul turned around, his face flushed. “What is it?”
    The footsteps ceased. “I’m not sure.” Mark gazed all around but only saw the shadows of flickering sunlight. Maybe the footsteps were the ghosts of the dead roaming through a wasted land.
    “Come on,” Paul ordered. “We have work to do, nothing’s gonna delay me now.”
    Past a wrecked church, its tall steeple lying intact on the ground, then finally Paul entered a small brick building. The pungent odor was more noticeable now, as Paul led the way through a maze of centuries old debris and junk.
    “What is this place?” Mark asked, trying to get his bearings.
    “Who cares what it was?” Paul shrugged, coughing. “There’s bound to be something here worth bringing back. Start looking, we don’t have all day.” Paul moved a little distance away and started his own search.
    Mark didn’t need to be prompted any further. He paused momentarily, scanning the area to see what was lying around, then pushed ahead past Paul, noticing something vaguely familiar. He started digging on his hands and knees, when he grabbed a torn box and took out a soft furry object that was in decent shape. A memory stirred, then the image of his baby daughter jumped into his mind. Yes, this would be a perfect Christmas gift for Emma. “Paul? I think I found something…” Mark retraced his steps, but he didn’t hear see or hear Paul anywhere. Mark stopped, then heard a scuffling up ahead, followed by those faint footsteps somewhere close by. Still holding on to the artifact, he started moving toward the sound.
    “Hold it right there.”
    Paul was down on the ground motionless, bleeding profusely.
    “What the hell?” A shiver ran up Mark’s spine. Suddenly he was facing a small, dirty figure, a boy around ten or eleven who was pointing a very large, sharp knife at him.
    “I’ll have that teddy bear, old man. Now.”

The end
    Last edited by BettyZygon; 21st Jan 2007 at 2:35 PM.
    I came, I saw, I posted.

The last line should have been "Here's another six inches for your collection old man".

Si.