Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Of course it was. Fans really are stupid and 2e will be laughing all the way to the bank. Ooh, they might re release a dvd! Do we want to buy this one again? Let's bombard them with emails to persaude them to sell us something we don't even want!

Well done everyone.

Si.
    Well, I want to buy them again. But then again, I wait until the DVDs are £5 or less.

Oooh, coconut macaroons!

The dvd that had the lowest first week sales of the entire range gets re-released due to "fan demand". Absolute proof (if needed) that they can sell us absolutely anything with the logo on.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of these re-releases to raise a bit more money to finish off the stories that need more restoration work, like the incomplete ones and the black and white Pertwees? If they have found a way to get people to spend more money then who cares? Any commerical company has a remit to make money anyway, so if they want to re-release stuff and make some extra money from persuading people to buy something they already have then why shouldn't they? No-one forces the consumers to buy.

It's not like 2|Entertain are the only ones doing it. What about Warner Bros making Harry Poter box sets every time another film comes out, even though everyone knows exactly how many there are going to be to make a complete box set? Or the repeated re-releases of Star Wars?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of these re-releases to raise a bit more money to finish off the stories that need more restoration work, like the incomplete ones and the black and white Pertwees?
    That's entirely speculative.

If it's true then that's a completely different kettle of fish. I'd gladly buy it if it meant we got "Mind of Evil" recoloured.

But who knows? The money could just be translating into extra profits? You wouldn't need to be too much of a cynic to wonder if that's the case - they are a business after all.

Si.

Given how much we've been enjoying the new Special Features on Revisitations 1, I'm not too distressed about Simon buying Vengeance On Varos again.

I'm the worst person to talk about this!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Given how much we've been enjoying the new Special Features on Revisitations 1, I'm not too distressed about Simon buying Vengeance On Varos again.

I'm the worst person to talk about this!
    Thank you very much!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of these re-releases to raise a bit more money to finish off the stories that need more restoration work, like the incomplete ones and the black and white Pertwees?
    I find that very doubtful too.

Like many others, I just think this really has the air of a publicity stunt. It was already planned for release, no matter what 2|e or Dan Hall like to imply now, and the artwork for it had already been commissioned and completed. Fans have been asking for a re-release of it for years now, if only to correct the production notes, and don't tell me no-one knew that as Dan Hall and all of the RT have read and posted on numerous DW forums for years now.

So the bottom line must surely be would it make a profit? I can't believe for a moment that a professional commercial company like 2|e would base that decision on a Twitter vote. For a start everyone knows that DW fans know how to influence a vote (as the NTA's show), but moreover, where do you 'set the bar' for a green light?

I've no idea how many "votes" it received on Twitter, but as a small pointer, the thread on Roobarbs only got 193 replies, many of which were not asking for this. And I also find it hard to imagine they were using it to get ideas for the content, the team have shown (IMO) they can do that fine on their own over a multitude of differing and varying types of story.

Let me be clear, I have no problem at all with the concept of re-releases, I worked in retail for 22 years so am well aware of the practice, but let's not get fooled here...
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Covers:

Si xx

Sorry- they're rather big!

Si xx

Will the discs be normal size?

No, they'll be the size of Laserdiscs I feel sure.

Si xx

Huzzah for the Supreme Dalek being so prominent on the Resurrection cover, he's always been my favourite Dalek!

Quite right too Martin. He's my favourite too!

Si xx

Nice touch that Davison has the correct hair on "Ressurection". But is that trickery in the shot of Pertwee? I've not seen that photo before.

Si.

Tegan's hair's looking very spiky!

Nice covers though.

Jon Pertwee on the cover reminds me of that cutaway in Family Guy where Stewie plays an old fat interviewer telling Colin Farrell he's not a very good actor!

Ronald Leigh-Hunt makes the cover! They're all far too busy though, I always think that less things crammed on the cover gives more impact.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The Seeds of Death is definitely less impressive this time round. The previous cover was simple and perfect.

Si xx

Gah, I only own about 9 of the DVDs, and two of them are in that picture. I'm not bloody buying them AGAIN.

I don't think you're alone. The last set was OK, but this one I'll be leaving until it falls to a cheap price. There's nothing outstanding here that makes me want to buy these stories again.

Si xx

It's only a little thing, but I get really absurdly annoyed at them putting 'Special Edition' on the cover (they did the same with the re-issue of Remembrance I notice). To me at least, that suggests the story itself is, in some way, a Special Edition (a Director's Cut, or Extended, or whatever) not 'just' the DVD release itself.

As I say, it doesn't really matter but it does wind me up!!

I think that's quite common. I have a number of movies on DVD that describe themselves as 'special edition' simply because they have an extra disc full of features, not because there's anything different about the main feature.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I don't think you're alone. The last set was OK, but this one I'll be leaving until it falls to a cheap price. There's nothing outstanding here that makes me want to buy these stories again.

Si xx

pretty much the same for me I only bought the first set because of the tv movie - but because 2 of the 3 stories in this set are not favourites of mine I'll not be buying it.

I think that's quite common. I have a number of movies on DVD that describe themselves as 'special edition' simply because they have an extra disc full of features, not because there's anything different about the main feature.
    Oh fair enough then. I genuinely haven't come across it except on the Doctor Who DVDs... but then, I only really buy the Who DVDs anyway. If it's a common practice, then I'll let the 2E guys off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Gah, I only own about 9 of the DVDs, and two of them are in that picture. I'm not bloody buying them AGAIN.
    I take your point, but if someone just happened to not have any of them it'd be worth it rather than tracking down the individual DVDs?
    For example... ahem.