Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    Of course that raises the question that gets raised by almost all fictional robots with a humanoid appearance: why put the brain in an extremity like the head in the first place? Our brain ended up there after billions of years of evolution. When designing a robot from scratch, why not put the brain in an armoured case in the middle of the torso, where it is surely better protected?
    Buck Rogers: An excellent point, Jason! And luckily for us we are way ahead of you! Why do you think Twikki kept going "Bidi bidi bidi" whenever he spoke?

I'm not convinced. Why is having the brain in the torso better protection than the head? If you armour-plate the head (which may be the case with the Voc Robots) is there much difference?

If our brains would be better in our chests, why have "billions of years of evolution" not put them there instead? Just wondered.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm not convinced. Why is having the brain in the torso better protection than the head? If you armour-plate the head (which may be the case with the Voc Robots) is there much difference?
    Because there is nothing to say a robot's brain has to be brain-shaped or brain-sized. It can be in the form of a couple of flat wafers say the size of a couple of A4 sheets of paper, sandwiched together and protected by thick plates in the middle of the torso, with the head no more than the location of the sensors such as the eyes. Armour plating the centre of mass of the body makes more sense from a design standpoint than armouring the very top, making it top-heavy. The only reason for placing a robot's brain in the head is symmetry with human physiology, but for the internal workings of a robot you have effectively a blank slate for design purposes.

The shattered head of the Voc robot under discussion here suggests armour plating was not a major design feature...

If our brains would be better in our chests, why have "billions of years of evolution" not put them there instead? Just wondered.
    I didn't say our brains would be better in our chests. Our torsos are filled with lungs and digestive systems to sustain the brain and body. Also, evolution is not driven by design. Just because evolution has come up with a solution does not mean it's the best of all options, it just happens to have worked. Evolution has produced the crocodile, a superb ambush predator with amazing bursts of speed and tremendously powerful jaws that can catch and kill an animal large enough that it doesn't have to eat again for a couple of weeks after it gets a good meal. It has also produced the panda, which lives on one of the least nutritious edible plants in the world and does not even have opposable thumbs to actually grip it with, so it spends half its time picking up dropped bamboo and the other half eating continuously so it has enough energy to pick up the dropped bamboo!

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

It is indeed, I found it yesterday and ordered a copy early this morning via the PS affiliated link.

I recently saw a rumour about a Revisitations 4 set comprising The Aztecs, The Claws of Axos and Vengeance on Varos but Varos is now out in September so it probably won't happen. They may do special individual rereleases or pack them with other stories i.e. Inferno with The Ambassadors of Death and Axos with The Mind of Evil to get back costs from recolouring the stories.

Looks like a new version og Inferno is coming next year- remastered using the film prints and the NTSC prints instead of a 525 conversion. Woo.

What does that mean, that they are going to recolour it from scratch rather than use reverse NTSC?

Si.

Yep, using the 525 line copies of the colour and the black and white telerecording.

Well, if it looks even better, I'm not going to complain, even if I didn't think Inferno looked that bad!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Revisitations 3 is in Amazon's deals of the week so it's £18.97 while stocks last.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Bumping the thread because Amazon delivered!! I have a copy of this in my hands.
    So that's my weekend sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    I have a copy of this in my hands.
    Doesn't that make typing difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Doesn't that make typing difficult?
    Three cheers for my mighty nose!

Has it become monarch then? All hail King Konk!

Can it get any cheaper??

Si.

Just ordered it, and through my employer's reward scheme it cost me just £4.77.

Looks like you were just in time Ant, as it's gone back up to £24.99 now.

Whew!

I'm particularly pleased about this because I accidentally ordered Revisitations 2 earlier this year when it should have been R3. I didn't realise until after I'd unwrapped the cellophane so had to keep it, so to have snapped R3 up now for under £5 is bloody marvellous!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Can it get any cheaper??

Si.

strangely enough on Amazon both Revisitation sets 1 and 2 are a few pounds more expensive than box 3.

Anybody heard or received anything yet ?

They took the £4.99 straight out via Paypal same day, so I'm assuming the order was accepted. Unfortunately I bought it as a guest, and now I don't seem to be able to check on how the order is progressing (the link in the e-mail they sent doesn't work).

Hoping that no news is good news for now.......
    Bazinga !

I received mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    I received mine!
    I got mine last week but in the excitement forgot to post about it
    Bazinga !