Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    I've not seen any of the films, so can't comment but the original Bourne trilogy of books (Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum) are, IMO, amongst his best books.
    If you're interested in seeing a more accurate fimed version of The Bourne Identity, you could do a lot worse than check out the mid-80s tv mini-series starring Richard Chamberlain and Jacklyn Smith. I've always found it more enjoyable than the film versions. I'm a big Ludlum fan myself but it's been a few years since I read one, I've got quite a backlog to catch up on.

And I fount The Bourne Supremacy to be pretty slow going as well, Tim. In fact that was the last Ludlum novel I actually read, but the uncharacteristic dullness of the early part of the novel possibly put me off for a while.

I'm currently reading Dominion, the EDA by Nick Walters. Night Of The Doctor put me in the mood for more 8th Doc and just picked up the series from where I left my regular reading (Revolution Man). I'd forgotten how enjoyable this series could often be, and Dominion certainly won't be the last! I remember reading random novels featuring Compassion, which I wasn't too keen on at the time, so not sure now whether to skip that arc in its entirety.

STTNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack.

Canal Dream by Mr Iain Banks.

Not long till Crow Road!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Ahh, the one you've never read

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Not particularly enjoying it so far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

The Matlock Paper turned out to be the worst Ludlum book - so bad I must have erased it from my memory when I last read it.

Dodger has turned out to be heavy going, what with all the slang, but the libray came up trumps with Nor will He Sleep by David Ashton (the latest McLevy book) and the Harry Dresden book I've misplaced Changes. I've ploughed through those onto the next HD book Ghost Story .
    Bazinga !

Ahh, the one you've never read
    No, the other one I've never read! There's still one more...
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Not particularly enjoying it so far.
    I quite liked it, but that's the way it goes.

I've just finished Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. If you ever want to put someone off drugs for life, it's the book for you. It might seem all fun and games at first (in an incredibly messed up way) but by about half way through it becomes a horrendous nightmare, albeit an oddly funny one.

I'm currently reading Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson. It's much much less distressing than the above, thankfully!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Worst. Person. Ever. by Douglas Coupland. It's very funny.

Ah! my autobiography published at last. (It's not supposed to be that funny though...)

Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    How'd you feel about it by the end, Si? It's just that I've mixed feelings about him, there's some novels that I really love (J-Pod, All Families Are Psychotic, Miss Wyoming) but a couple I was disappointed by (The Gum Thief especially) whilst I've mixed feelings about Generation A. It started off well, but fizzled out by the end, so I'm very cautious these days when picking up his work.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

How'd you feel about it by the end, Si? It's just that I've mixed feelings about him, there's some novels that I really love (J-Pod, All Families Are Psychotic, Miss Wyoming) but a couple I was disappointed by (The Gum Thief especially) whilst I've mixed feelings about Generation A. It started off well, but fizzled out by the end, so I'm very cautious these days when picking up his work.

I finished Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit at the weekend and have to confess to struggling with it. I really liked Sexing The Cherry and Written on the Body, but felt Oranges was just a bit boring and repetitive. Most of it is spent hammering home the way Religion can be detrimental if taken to obsessive levels, whilst the relationship side of thing is skimped over, and all of a sudden she throws in some post modern takes on fairy tales to mirror events in the book that didn't really seem to go anywhere. It's a shame as there were parts of the book I enjoyed a lot, but the final fifty pages were a big disappointment.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I know what you mean about Coupland. While I've loved most of his books, there are some that just left me a bit bemused or that I didn't enjoy. Happily, this one was one of the better ones. It made me laugh and was really enjoyable, if a more than a little unlikely at times!

The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds
    Robert Rankin. Always a delight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    Well I finished this & it's not a bad book at all. The first half is fast paced in places & quite slow in others, picks up a bit second half.
    And I've now moved on the Bourne Supremacy which again is nothing like the movie...they're in China of all places. This isn't even referenced in the movie.
    It really is relatively slow going in the first half but again is picking up in the second half.
    Finished Supremacy & now on to Ultimatum. Supremacy was generally a slow paced book with a fast flourish towards the end & then a bit of a flat ending. The last bit just didn't grab me as exciting.

Ultimatum has started with a bang though. I hope it continues.

I know what you mean about Coupland. While I've loved most of his books, there are some that just left me a bit bemused or that I didn't enjoy. Happily, this one was one of the better ones. It made me laugh and was really enjoyable, if a more than a little unlikely at times!
    Oh cool, I shall have to pick that up once it starts turning up in charity shops - which is nothing personal against Coupland, it's just how I buy all my books these days.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

H G Wells - The Island of Doctor Moreau. Reminds a bit of the Isle of Wight.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I see you've found my secret laboratory then!

I'm reading The Will Of The Dead by George Mann. A series of robberies has struck 19th century London, caused by steam powered iron men. Send for Sherlock Holmes...

How To Be Invisible by Tim Lott.

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell.

Doctor Who - 11 Doctors, 11 stories. 1st - pants; 2nd - quite good
    Bazinga !

I just need to read the 11th and I'm all done. You'll probably beat me though Jon! My faves are 3, 6, 7 (yes really!) and 9

I'm reading John Steinbeck's Of Mice & Men now.