Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich. Standard Stephanie Plum stuff so far, but warm and funny and likeable.

Dance With Dragons, recently released George R R Martin book that should have come out about four/fiver years ago.

I'm reading a book! I am!

I bought it for £1.50p at the weekend.

Si.

Ooh! Suspense!

What's the book Si? What could possibly be worth £1.50 of your money?

It's Doctor Who and Apollo 11 Si! From The Works! I was passing and I just thought "why not?"

Si.

Elephant Song by Wilbur Smith.

The Last Days Of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I'm on to David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas now, which is also superb, I really don't know why I didn't get round to reading it years ago after loving Number9Dream so much...It's 500 pages + though, so don't expect a review any time soon...
    Well it took me just under a month, but that's not bad going given my reading rate and how densely packed the novel is. I absolutely loved it too, Mitchell's an incredibly talented writer and manages to tell six individual (though linked) stories in very different styles with aplomb. It's packed with so many different ideas and concepts, and I know it's going to be a novel that I'll enjoy thinking about in the days to come.

I'd even go as far as to say that after number9dream, this and Black Swan Green, if someone was to ask me who my favourite author was, I may well say it was him. And I know! But these are crazy times.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books, currently on Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone!

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I've just started reading The Princess Bride, which Paul was kind enough to get me for birthday. It's lovely stuff so far, and I'm really enjoying the style it's written in too.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

After a lot of dithering this morning, I've plumped for Thomas Hardy - The Woodlanders. So far, poor Marty has cut off her chestnut locks because she believes that Giles Winterbourne is in love with Grace and not her. She's going to sell them to Mr Percomb the Master Barber. Oh and the Wiltshire countryside is phenomenally beautiful.

Anyone else read this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    After a lot of dithering this morning
    What you do in your private life is no concern of ours!

Return to Ribblestrop by Andy Mulligan. A great Children's book- very funny!

Changes, the latest Harry Dresden paperback by Jim Butcher. I've 75% done over the course of 2 days, but I gotta bad feeling about where this is going......
    Bazinga !

I finished The Princess Bride today, it was an awful lot of fun and one of those books that you can race through. Not sure I'm too happy about the ending, but the first chapter of Buttercup's Baby does make up for that.

Now I'm on to Mark Thomas' delightfully named "Belching Out the Devil: Global Adventures with Coca-Cola" which has been a fascinating read so far.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Being quite a nosey person, I do like an autobiography or two! Currently reading Kim Woodburn's (aka Kim & Aggie aka How Clean Is Your House) autobiog. It's really all about her terrible upbringing. Her mother used to beat her and subject her to the most horrible emotional abuse. It's not easy reading but fascinating nonetheless. Glad to know she's found happiness in her later life.

I hope it hasn't influenced her house Kim's house cleaning!

I'm reading 'Touched By An Angel' by Jonathan Morris - and it's pretty good!

After i finished reading it I made a start on Wuthering Heights. Not so much wuthering as withering...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Changes, the latest Harry Dresden paperback by Jim Butcher. I've 75% done over the course of 2 days, but I gotta bad feeling about where this is going......
    I've finished it now - OMG !!!!!!!!

The next one's been out for a little while in hardback, but although WS library service has ordered 4 there don't seem to be any available yet

ITMT I've started 1421, a book about how the Chinese discovered and mapped the whole world a long time before anyone else did, and the first two new Torchwood books have just arrived from Amazon
    Bazinga !

I think I might read The Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life by Mill Millington next.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    ITMT I've started 1421, a book about how the Chinese discovered and mapped the whole world a long time before anyone else did.
    Have a look at this site Not that I've read the book, or that site very much for that matter, but, as someone who's read the book, you might find it interesting.

The Reason Why: The Miracle of Life on Earth by John Gribbin.

I can now remember Dioxyribonucleic Acid, though I've forgotten the acronym.

So long as you now try to remember that it's deoxyribonucleic acid

Have a look at this site Not that I've read the book, or that site very much for that matter, but, as someone who's read the book, you might find it interesting.
    Looks interesting - have only just dipped into the book but may be better to consider it a work of fiction if I procede with it.
    Bazinga !

Of course! Deoxyribonucleic Acid. No wonder I only got a 'B' in Biology. If I'd have worked harder, I could have got all the other letters too.

Doctor Who and Touched By An Angel by Jonathan Morris. It's really quite good.