Default 24 Things You Might Be Saying Wrong

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/...wrong-2338028/

I thought the above was a pretty good feature. I recognize a lot of those all the time and probably do a few wrong myself. 'Try and' instead of 'Try to' was one that I used to notice alot and then I found that I got so used to it I started catching myself sometimes.

Anyone else a guilty party to any of these?

I'm pedantic, so I don't say any of those, other than "each other" and "one another".
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Bah - I'm terribly at mixing my metaphors. I remember once saying "we wiped their asses" after a rugby game to which someone said "did you mean wiped the floor with them" or "kicked their asses".

Erm ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I have to admit I have no idea when 'whom' is or isn't correct to use. Even after reading the tips on when to use it. Like pretty much everyone else in America, I just use 'who' always. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually 'whom' became archaic and fell completely out of use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I have to admit I have no idea when 'whom' is or isn't correct to use. Even after reading the tips on when to use it. Like pretty much everyone else in America, I just use 'who' always. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually 'whom' became archaic and fell completely out of use.
    The difference between "who" and "whom" is the difference between "he" and "him".

So if you would use, "he" then you use "who" in associated sentences.

If you would use "him", you use "whom".

That's helpful. I'll try to keep that in mind.

I thought of another one that I notice all the time which isn't on the list, though it is more spelling than grammar:

I always see people using the word 'loose' instead of 'lose'. As in "I want to loose some weight".

That's helpful. I'll try to keep that in mind.

I thought of another one that I notice all the time which isn't on the list, though it is more spelling than grammar:

I always see people using the word 'loose' instead of 'lose'. As in "I want to loose some weight".
    That is very annoying.

So is the current fashion to spell "swap" as "swop".

Something that really bugs me is when people say bought when they mean brought.
    I read a post on Roobarbs a little while back where someone stated the postmen had bought them some DVD's that morning, it took me a little while to figure out that they actually meant that the postmen had brought their DVD order .

My real pet peeve is people who say 'would of' rather than the correct 'would have'. This has, I am sure, grown from the contraction 'would've', in which the word 'have' is not pronounced clearly, so people ended up thinking it was 'of' instead.

What really annoys me is the way that people mispronounce the letter "H" as Haitch instead of Aitch. I may have mentioned this before, but it really gets to me.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I think language evolves and is unique to everybody; it'd be boring if we all talked in the same way, and it's good to have a unique and evolving way of talking, so none of this bothers me.

Controversial!

Si.

While there is certainly a degree of evolution of language, it still bugs me that some of these things slip through. To me it seems to make a mockery of actually being taught a language in the first place if it can be so easily and acceptably mangled.

The ones that really get to me are the grammar and punctuation errors that are so common, since those things are there to give structure to the language and play a big part in conveying meaning. People get them wrong, then get upset when they get misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    ...punctuation errors that are so common...
    Apple's, Pear's, I've actually seen those outside our local veg shop, and I think I've seen examples of that sort of thing on another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    What really annoys me is the way that people mispronounce the letter "H" as Haitch instead of Aitch. I may have mentioned this before, but it really gets to me.
    I've heard it said that: There's only one aitch in aitch

I still have to think about it though!
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge

One thing I've noticed about my grammar - in the last twenty four hours! - is the tendency to use for when I should use of and vice-versa.

Today, for instance, I've thought long and hard about certain phrases I've written, and ended up rewriting them several times.
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge