Default London Olympics 2012

I've just taken a peruse through the pages of this sports forum, and found that we don't have a thread for the 2012 Olympics, which is remarkable, given that they're taking place in the capital city of the nation which the majority of our posters live in!

Just now, I've found this article, which has a tally as to what events we're in with a chance of winning.

The result isn't nearly as alarming as I thought it'd be, given that we hardly seem to have much sporting prowess of late (see our atrocious performance in the footie this year...)

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I have to say I was originally planning to be around for the Olympics, hoping to catch some of the Volleyball live which we really enjoyed in the 2004 Olympics, but got really crappy coverage in 2008.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Don't know if this is the only Olympic thread but

Just to remind everyone that you have until 11.59pm tonight to apply for your 2012 Olympic event tickets (be warned, setting up the online account takes a good 15 minutes.....)

We've just applied for some tennis tickets at Wimbledon
    Bazinga !

Darn - I'm in the wrong country!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I've just taken a peruse through the pages of this sports forum, and found that we don't have a thread for the 2012 Olympics, which is remarkable, given that they're taking place in the capital city of the nation which the majority of our posters live in!

I think maybe people just don't care.

I'm really not interested in the Olympics and the madness that will accompany it. I'm fairly convinced it will be a total failure. Even the countdown clock stopped working.
    The ticketing system is a farce. You can only pay by using Visa. No debit cards, not even Mastercard. The moiney will be taken straight away so they can earn lots of interest on it, yet you won't even know where you are seated.

Our transport system is laughable, probably the worst in Europe. What is the main line for the Olympics? The Jubilee line! Considering the hundreds of thousands of spectators who will descend on London, how on earth is the system supposed to cope? Not forgetting the militant dinosaur who runs the Tube- Bob Crow.

I'm not big on sports myself, though I may watch a couple of the events on TV.

I thought about applying for tickets, but then I thought I'd let people who really want to go apply in my place!

Instead, it might be nice to go somewhere new while the Olympics are on. Like New York, or New Zealand. London is going to be well and truly out of bounds.

I think the Olympics will be a success for the UK, mainly because we can't allow them to fail. What the long term implications will be I don't know. If we're stupidly lucky, it might bring some much-needed investment into the country and boost our prospects. Still, a lot of people should enjoy the events enormously.

We have several events happening around us. The Shooting & Archery at Woolwich Army Barracks and Gymnastics at the O2 but we haven't been the slightest bit intrested in buying tickets. We are off to Turkey early August anyway and probably miss quite a bit of the games.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowNZ View Post
    Darn - I'm in the wrong country!
    Given that I really couldn't care less about the Olympics, so am I...

I'd much rather spend my money on just about anything else than going to watch sport, so that's what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I it. I'm fairly convinced it will be a total failure.

can I hold you to that statement as I'd really like you to post something after the Olympics are finished admitting you got it wrong.

I have the complete opposit opinion we as a nation love sport and I'm pretty sure that most of the venues will be packed out every day.

Our transport system is laughable, probably the worst in Europe. What is the main line for the Olympics? The Jubilee line! Considering the hundreds of thousands of spectators who will descend on London, how on earth is the system supposed to cope?

Not forgetting the militant dinosaur who runs the Tube- Bob Crow

as well as the Jubilee Line, you also have the Central Line, Docklands Light Railyway and the District Line, although with that you would need to change at West Ham. London Transport, will almost certainly lay on extra trains and buses so transport is not a problem of course Bob Crowe, is another matter.

I have precisely the same amount of interest in the Olympics as I do in the royal wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    can I hold you to that statement as I'd really like you to post something after the Olympics are finished admitting you got it wrong.

Absolutely. I just get the impression we couldn't organise a pis up in a brewery. I do hope I'm wrong.