Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Longleat-style 50th anniversary exhibition in 2013/ The Doctor Who Experience

Hi guys! This isn't an announcement from the BBC, it's just me pondering out loud. Having recently watched The Five Doctors DVD and its special features, I became fascinated by the anecdotes and footage of the 1983 Longleat exhibition weekend commerating the 20th anniversary. I think that the BBC should put on a similar exhibition in 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary, complete with all the surviving Doctors, companions and monsters. They could have monsters on display, Q + A panels with the Doctors and companions and all sorts of other things on display. In essence, it would be this generation's Longleat weekend for all the people who went to the original event (), all the people who couldn't go last time () and for all the people who (like me) weren't around at the time (). Do you guys think the BBC would go to the effort of arranging this exhibition for this milestone year or do you think they wouldn't bother? What sort of things would you like to be there? It's still 3 years away but there's no time like the present to start wondering what sort of things will be there and which Doctor Who actors would attend (just in case this event becomes an actuality). What ideas and suggestions do you guys have for this occasion?

It would certainly have to be better organised!

I don't doubt someone somewhere's planning something for anniversary year as we speak. Certainly a convention, though the way things are, somehow perhaps not Auntie themselves, though possibly with their support with their collective arms twisted enough. (Assiming of course that Messrs. Moffatt, Richards and Co. are still pretty much in position come the hour.) There'd have to be one or two very special guests and surprises to make the whole thing special. (I'd go if Freema and Karen - no, not at a family event!) Has the world been threatened with a convention appearance by young Mr. Tennant at all...? Get David and Matt on stage together - there's a highlight.

I'd be satisfied with a good old-fashioned multi-doctor story come the anniversary.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Surely nothing short of a miracle (or more likely kidnapping) would get Chris Ecclestone at a convention.

[Thinking of that "Can I kiss Peter Davison sketch now]
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

Surely nothing short of a miracle (or more likely kidnapping) would get Chris Ecclestone at a convention.
    Maybe not, but who knows what Christopher Eccleston would do...

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Everybody write out Bernie Ecclestone fifty times...

It seems all the current exhibitons are closing this year and early next year:
    “BBC Worldwide will be announcing a major new venture involving the Doctor Who brand in the next few months. Ahead of this, we are consolidating our three current Doctor Who exhibitions in the UK. After very successful runs and hundreds of thousands of delighted visitors, the exhibitions in Newcastle and Land’s End will close on October 31st and December 31st 2010 respectively, whilst the flagship Cardiff attraction will close on March 27th, 2011. BBC Worldwide is delighted that its relationship with the home of the show will continue as we develop a new and larger Doctor Who attraction which we plan to open in Cardiff in 2012 at a new site. We have consulted with the City Council for the past 18 months regarding our plans and we are confident that the new attraction’s features, size and location will draw many more fans to the Welsh capital from across the UK. Further details regarding the new Cardiff attraction will be included in the upcoming announcement.”
    I wonder if this creating a "new and larger Doctor Who attraction" means we might get a Doctor Who Theme park celebrating all eras of the show? It's a possibility...

Si xx

With a Dodo ride?

We ride the back of time.

Ride on time, RIDE ON TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Bal View Post
    With a Dodo ride?
    I defy our critics to read something into that!

There's (a little bit of) news from The Sun today:

DOCTOR Who star Matt Smith is surrounded by images of his predecessors in a new permanent exhibition charting the show's 47-year history.

The Doctor Who Experience opens in London's Olympia on February 20 before moving to Cardiff in 2012.

Matt, 28, will film special scenes for its interactive show.

Who fans will be able to enter the Tardis and guide it through time.

They will also be able to take on the Daleks.
    Si xx

And more from SFX:
    The BBC has announced a major new Doctor Who exhibition that sounds a lot more interactive and exciting than the previous “museum display” type exhibitions. Visitors will get the chance to step inside the TARDIS and defeat the Daleks at The Doctor Who Experience which will include special effects and newly-filmed scenes featuring current Doctor Matt Smith.

Tickets go on sale this month for the show, which opens at London’s Olympia on Sunday 20 February. It includes an exhibition charting the history of the programme from its first series in 1963 to the latest episodes. Original costumes, a Tom Baker-era TARDIS and Cybermen, Silurians and a Zygon will also be on display.

Executive producer Steven Moffat says: “The Doctor Who Experience is a fan’s dream come true – a fully interactive adventure that will allow viewers of the show to get as close as possible to some of the scariest monsters from the series.

“It will also be the first time that Doctor Who artefacts from all the show’s 47-year history – classic and new – will be on display together, many of them being seen for the first time. And never mind that, this is the day the Doctor teaches you how to fly the TARDIS through time and space, and takes you into battle with all his deadliest enemies in a brand new adventure. So steady your nerves and bring your own sofa – the Doctor needs you.”

The Doctor Who Experience will eventually be given a long-term home in Cardiff in 2012.

Tickets for the show go on sale through www.doctorwhoexperience.com on 18 November.
    Si xx

Another pic:

Si xx

I'm not too sure about taking on the Daleks, that sounds dangerous.

Shall we go?

Si.

Shall we go?
    Yes!

Si xx

The Doctor Who Experience is a fan’s dream come true
    I hope they surveyed fans on their typical dreams. Including Tim.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

They politely told me that such, er, "dreams" should not be seen by the public.

Yes, well we don't wish to know that, kindly leave the bordello...

I shall be going. I'll take William and it'll be a joint birthday present!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I shall be going. I'll take William and it'll be a joint birthday present!
    It's Alex William, not just William you know!
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Shush you! (Although you're welcome to come.)

I'd love to, I was gutted I missed The Star Trek Experience, but am definitely up for this.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I've signed up for details so I guess we'll find out soon if it costs £400 a ticket or not.

...and if , at those prices, Ebenezer Wallis is running the affair...