Default My Musical Adventures

My iPod equivilent (a Sony)(which is currently broken) is filled with 6 Pet Shop Boys albums, a smattering of Beautiful South and eighties compilations.
    So I'm going to expand my tastes and collection, variety being the spice of life and all that.

First up is

Paloma Faith with her album

Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful

Now I hadn't heard of this lass until I saw her squeezed into a catsuit in a Sunday magazine and decided to check her out (ahem). She's quite a talented girl with a degree in theatre direction, a one time burlesque dancer and actress.
    I was almost put off when the reviews on Amazon likened her to Amy Winehouse who I really don't have much time for. Paloma Faith is her own girl though, with a sassy funky soulful album of tunes which twist every which way. Soaring orchestral moments and folky bits ( my interpretations are great aren't they?) mingle happily together.
    Opening with Stone Cold Sober (which is sort of autobiographical, Paloma insists she doesn't need alcohol and drugs- good girl) the album moves on to the magnificent Smoke and Mirrors (my favourite) and Broken Doll opens with a music hall style melody and on to the beautiful Stargazer. My Legs are Weak sounds for all the world like an Elvis number at the start, a lovelly blusey tune.

I love this album.

I know where the Amy Winehouse comparison comes from. It's that same kind of trying to capture a kind of sound of yesteryear. Yeah I quite like Paloma myself.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

If you like 80's music you might like a new band called The Drums. I thought their single "Lets Go Surfing" was good, but their other songs on youtube were a bit too 80's for my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...the+drums&aq=f

I adore Paloma. Her iTunes live EP is worth a download.