Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Draculasaurus - Fan Art

Hello.
    I've decided to post some of my art here.
    hope you enjoy it, thanks for looking.
    D

1024x768 wallpaper version here
    http://a.imageshack.us/img266/7899/s...tagwallpap.jpg

Welcome to the forum Draculasaurus - that's a fabby piece of art.

*cough* Put Pete Wallbank to shame! *cough*
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wow! That's brilliant!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Very nice indeed!
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Wow that is good. I'm learning to draw myself at the moment - but alas nothing I draw ends up looking too much like who I started off drawing. Might be safe with a Dalek.

Particularly like the little shine you've given his hair!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

You have a nice way with texture - I like the sketchy feel. Do you have any more?

Si.

Blimey, that's ridiculously good!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Full marks!

Thanks so much everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Welcome to the forum Draculasaurus - that's a fabby piece of art.

*cough* Put Pete Wallbank to shame! *cough*
    Play nice! It's not a competition.
    Thanks though.

here's another one of my pieces

I like that. You have the proportions of the face right. I'm not just saying this, but I think you're actually better than Pete Wallbank - you know sometimes you get professional art where the face looks lopsided or out of proportion... but yours is bang on.

Si.

How funny would it be if Draculasaurus turned out to be Pete Wallbank...

I can't wait to see your flimsy dressed companions ... I'm only saying!
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

I really like the brushwork on the Pertwee portrait, it looks lovely.

I have a bee in my bonnet about Pete Wallbank, but it wasn't fair to pick him out individually. As Si says, it's disappointing when a professional artist turns in a portrait that's a bit off.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It may be very naieve of me, but I was shocked and dissapointed when I saw a feature in the back of a DWM special a few years ago, it was looking at a bit of anniversary artwork he'd done and how it was made. And he'd started off by TRACING a photo. WHAT!? Am I just completely out of touch? Is this how they're ALL done? If so, what's the point?! That's not a bit of artwork of your own is it, if you just trace it! Why not go the whole hog and just make a photocopy?

Si.

There are a fair few works of art that were initiated using the camera obscura or camera lucidia which are much the same kind of thing. I wouldn't downgrade the works of Leonardo da Vinci (who played with them) just because he used this as a bit of a cheat.

Now if he'd just put the thing through photoshop ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_lucida

Yeah, there is a lot of tracing going on out there, especially in fan art.
    It's made even worse by computer programs like Corel Painter, which have built-in tutorials that encourage you to load a source image, trace it, and then use an eye dropper tool to select colors directly from the source image. It's very much like those "paint by numbers" sets.
    I'm not really very good at capturing peoples likenesses, but I like to think that my pictures have a texture and movement that in some ways, has more to offer than strict photorealism.
    -
    another one of mine.

a 1024x768 wallpaper version
    http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3...paperdarke.jpg

Wow - that's an oil isn't it? I know what you mean, it's not an exact likeness of Hartnell (which is really tricky in oils anyway), but it's definitely captured his essence really very dramatically (impressionistic?).

I love the way your black and whites really capture the feel of monochrome drama.
    Last edited by WhiteCrowNZ; 13th Sep 2010 at 1:40 AM.

I love that! Certainly, it's not an exactly likeness of Hartnell, but I feel that the style in which you've done it works better without it being exactly, if you catch my drift?

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Thanks so much.
    The black and white Hartnell one is actually acrylic paint.
    -
    another one of mine

Love it! Wow you have a few styles up your sleeve ...

Wow, I really like both those Hartnell ones. The b&w one is all misty & moody, which kind of captures both the feel of that first episode and also the picture quality from when I first watched it, it really has a 'feel' to it. And the colour one combines, for me, a sort of 'real' artistic style (ie, like a Van Goch or whoever) with the feel of some of the pictures from the old annuals.

Really enjoying this thread!

I love the way the Tardis has translated Police Box into the local language ...

Kind of spooky - was at a gallery and we were looking at some pictures a local artist has done in a van Gough style as well.

Vincent and the Doctor...

India Ink on Water Color Paper
    -
    Done by request of, and featured in the Doctor Who fanzine The Terrible Zodin.
    Issue #8 now available for free download.
    http://doctorwhottz.blogspot.com/
    go check it out!
    from the TTZ website...

[This issue is dedicated to the period between production of TV series 1990 - 2003. Whilst many call it The Wilderness Years I hope this issue proves it was anything but. Indeed I hope you're sitting comfortably because TTZ8 is a whopping Target novelization sized 104 pages!

We bring you the concluding part of our interview with Paul Cornell and have a new exclusive interview with Lance Parkin. We sing the praises of the New Adventures, debate canon, dissect the theme tune and throw ourselves in to the Timelash!

Regular columnists Tony Gallichan and Steve Sautter are on board and we're pleased to announce a new member to join their roster, the mysterious Susie Who who'll be coming from the perspective of a casual viewer rather than a hardcore fan.]

It looks kind of simple (though I know from experience it's not) but really dramatic!