Default Michael Winner Faces Amputation of His Leg To Save Life

Veteran film director and food critic Michael Winner is being treated in hospital after falling ill while on holiday in Barbados.

Winner, 71, is being treated at The London Clinic, a private hospital in Harley Street.

Doctors have told him they might have to amputate his diseased leg to save his life, the Daily Mirror reported.

The Cambridge-educated director of the Death Wish series of movies replied "I would rather die than have it cut off", according to the paper.

Winner was taken to the Bayview Hospital in Barbados by ambulance on January 3, apparently after suffering an allergic reaction to medication prescribed a few days earlier for a fever.

At the time he told the Daily Mail: "Unfortunately, I had an absolutely dreadful reaction to the antibiotic and I came out in enormous blood blisters on my left leg.

"They covered the entire inside of my leg and each one was five inches long. Then they all burst and I was rushed to hospital with the sirens blaring."

Before flying back to the UK for further treatment, Winner complained about his Caribbean hospital.

He said: "It's horrible here. They're doing their best but the food is disgusting."
    Winner underwent a heart bypass operation in 1993 and spent two days in a private London hospital in 2003 for an undisclosed complaint.

Dave Lewis Guest

He said: "It's horrible here. They're doing their best but the food is disgusting."
    Calm down dear.

Pip Madeley Guest

Doctors have told him they might have to amputate his diseased leg to save his life, the Daily Mirror reported.

The Cambridge-educated director of the Death Wish series of movies replied "I would rather die than have it cut off", according to the paper.
    That's what happened to Charles Hawtrey - they told him he would need his legs amputating to live, and he refused, and he died days later.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Once a restaurant critic, always a restaurant critic...

I'm not a great fan of Michael Winner but I'm sorry to hear that. I think my grandfather lost the will to live after his leg was amputed in similar circumstances when he was 74 many years back. It was either that or my granny was driving him demented *God bless wherever the two of you are now - I didn't mean it honest! *

Apparently he's getting better.

Apparently he's getting better.
    So I take it they haven't cut it off then?

"It's a commercial! I'm normally a very good driver."
    Last edited by Rob McCow; 18th Jan 2007 at 12:06 PM.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

A few new replies today- This thread has still got legs then.

I must admit, just when I think I'm king, I just begin!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Bet you thought you'd caught us on the hop...

God you lot are nasty!

Calm down Ralph; they are just pulling your leg!

Sorry about that

@ Ian

Has anyone thought to consider the leg's view on all this - how does it feel having spent so long having to be attached to Michael Winner
    Bazinga !

From Digital Spy:

Michael Winner has denied rumours that he is being forced to have a limb amputated after being admitted to hospital on January 3.

The veteran director is currently being treated at a Harley Street hospital after having a reaction to medication whilst on holiday.

Some newspaper reports claimed that he was given the option of losing a leg or dying.

However, according to the BBC, Winner, 71, said in a statement: "I have been interested in recent newspaper reports suggesting I had lost or was about to lose one leg, two legs, an arm, a head - some people suggesting this went some time ago! - or even a fingernail.

"I am happy to tell you that, when I last looked, all of these items appeared solidly where they have been for many years.

"I am further advised that the chance of any of them leaving my persona are non-existent. So if you see a leg lying around it is not mine, unless, of course, it is firmly attached to my body."
    "Theres nothing wrong with my bloody leg!" would have sufficed

I always liked this bit about Tom Baker's legs from his "Who on Earth is" book...

"...I had to keep my legs to myself. I've held on to them ever since, and honestly, I can't say that I've regretted it, they've been very loyal over the years and we're still together, my legs and I".

It amused me.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    I always liked this bit about Tom Baker's legs from his "Who on Earth is" book...

"...I had to keep my legs to myself. I've held on to them ever since, and honestly, I can't say that I've regretted it, they've been very loyal over the years and we're still together, my legs and I".

It amused me.
    typical Tom Baker humour..