Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Get 'Love Don't Roam' into the Top 40!

I'm rather surprised not to find a thread about this here. Unless it's really well hidden...

With the recent change in the rules for the singles chart meaning that any download from a chart registered download service (whether it be an actual single or an album track) can get into the charts, some folks are attempting to get Love Don't Roam into the chart!

It's only available from iTunes at the moment so if you're of a mind to get a half-decent song into the charts then you've got just a few days to head over, spend a very reasonable 79p, and see if we can't get a lower top 40 entry on Sunday. There's no way we'll get number one or anywhere near. We've no illusions about that. But Neil Hannon and Doctor Who in the chart is always a good thing.

So head over to iTunes and stick Love Don't Roam in the search box. Even if you've got the album already go do it. If you don't have iTunes then download it and buy. If you hate iTunes and don't want it then download it, buy and then delete iTunes from your computer!

Pip Madeley Guest

But it's a rubbish song, Neil Hannon or not...

I'd rather put 79p towards getting 'Pure Mystery' by Jon Pertwee into the charts.

The quality of the song doesn't appear to be the point. It's just a laugh innit?

Can you download Pure Mystery from a chart accredited download supplier?

Pip Madeley Guest

Can you download Pure Mystery from a chart accredited download supplier?
    Let's hope so - the campaign starts here!

We'll do that next week. This week it's Neil Hannon!

He hasn't done well recently. He needs us.
    explodes

And on the flip side, it seems Moyles' campaign to get Billie's 'Honey to the Bee' is doing well - it's apparently at #12 in the iTunes charts....
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Pip Madeley Guest

Anyone get the feeling that the credibility of the charts has been damaged somewhat by this "any downloads" thing?

I don't remember the charts ever having any credibility.

I suppose there was that week when Sebadoh got on Top Of The Pops.

Frankly I think we're just doing this cause now anyone can fix the charts, so we're having a go.
    explodes

Anyone get the feeling that the credibility of the charts has been damaged somewhat by this "any downloads" thing?
    No. That's just a gut reaction, and there's no evidence thus far that anyone has made a mockery of the charts by fixing a release. Even IF Chris Moyles manages to boost a random song into the Top 20, after a week of effort and campaigning and lots of people spending money for the sake of it, it will be one chart entry - it hardly makes a mockery of the whole listing.

In any case, this is hardly exclusive to downloads - there have been occasions in previous years when deliberate bulk buying of a record has boosted it unusually high in the charts. The fact this is now being done for records which were previously incorrectly ineligable for the charts is neither here nor there.

I don't remember the charts ever having any credibility.
    Since when did the charts need to meet anyones definition of "credible"? They are a listing of what music is being bought in the UK during any week. In terms of their function, to reflect the buying tastes of the public, they are now more "credible" than ever before.

Si.

I think this is the most interesting fun thing to happen to the charts for years!
    Its just so crazy.

And I thought Love Don't Roam was awful too, although its grown on my over the weeks.
    Much better is The Snake by Al Wilson. Its obviously the inspiration for Love Don't Roam.

Why has no-one started the 'Doctor In Distress' campaign yet?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Because we haven't gone entirely insane yet!
    Last edited by buglass; 18th Jan 2007 at 10:18 AM.
    explodes

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Since when did the charts need to meet anyones definition of "credible"? They are a listing of what music is being bought in the UK during any week. In terms of their function, to reflect the buying tastes of the public, they are now more "credible" than ever before.

Si.
    Then let me rephrase.

I don't remember the general public ever having any credibility.

explodes

Didn't Petula Clark's Downtown get back into the charts after Phillip Schofield kept playing and promoting it on Children's BBC in the 80s? Same sort of thing really. Indeed, I think she might have recorded a new version because of that - Downtown 88 or something.

Downtown 88 is brilliant

As I said on OG, you need to sell about 1,500 to even make anchor position in the top 75, so I find it very unlikely this will work. From reading the thread, you've got about 50 people so far to take part?

can't say i'll be bothering to down load it ..then again i've not listened to the charts for years..

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    Why has no-one started the 'Doctor In Distress' campaign yet?

We're leaving that one for Ian Levine...

I can't remember anything about the song at all.

I'm much more interested in the Billie campaign even if Chris Moyles is an unspeakable abomination.

Nice little package from Lizo on today's Newsround about the attempts to get 'Love Don't Roam' and 'Honey to the Bee' into the singles chart.

Newsround is next on the CBBC Channel round about 6:30pm.

Staying with CBBC...

Also spotted a couple of Doctor Who sketches on CBBC's Spoof (part of Gina's Laughing Gear shown just before Newsround). It's from the team behind Dead Ringers and worth watching just for the lovely Francine Lewis. I remember Garry Bushell used to rave about her every week. It's repeated tomorrow at 6:30pm on the CBBC Channel.

Edited to add: I really need to stop watching CBBC every day.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 19th Jan 2007 at 6:24 PM.

I saw the CBBC spoof impression thingy, they did an uncanny David Tennant

Bless her little cotton socks...

http://www.billiepiperuk.com/

She doesn't do live.
    Last edited by Simon R; 19th Jan 2007 at 11:56 PM.

Love Don't Roam hasn't made the top 200.

Just need to see where Billie gets now! Hopefully top 20!

That's because 'Love Don't Roam' is a load of old toss.

Shouldn't this be in the music forum?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

As requested.

Si.