Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worst Movie Of All Time - Spice World?

Spice World The Movie has been voted the worst movie ever in a poll of 12,000 discerning Brit moviegoers.
    The MSN Movies survey also honoured Titanic with a second spot, while Grease 2 mounted the podium in third place.
    MSN spokesman Mike Lok said: "I'm sure most viewers would admit to getting guilty pleasure from at least one film on the list. Some movies are just so bad, they're good."

Here's the Top Ten in full:
    1. Spice World The Movie
    2. Titanic
    3. Grease 2
    4. Waterworld
    5. Hostel
    6. Anaconda
    7. Batman & Robin
    8. Gigli
    9. Catwoman
    10. Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot
    What nonsense! Spice World may not be cinematic caviar, but it does at least have moments where it's genuinely entertaining and quite funny. Of all the rest, the only one I've seen is Grease 2, which is quite poor but again hardly unbearable.

I think this might reflect what are viewed as the least cool films of all time. There's no mention of the Britney Spears travesty, Crossroads for example.
    Here are 10 films that I think are worse than the ones on that list (in no order!)

Van Helsing (dire and ludicrous)
    Underworld (just dire)
    Aliens V Predator (Whoever wins, the audience loses)
    Daddy Day Care (I haven't seen it, but it clearly is the worst film ever)
    Nill By Mouth (I don't mind grit, but this was like sticking your head in a gritting machine)
    Dungeons & Dragons (still makes me chuckle)
    Timecop 2 (don't even ask)
    Dr.Doolittle 2
    Pearl Harbour (like watching 9 different films, 8 of which are excerable)
    Popeye (With Robin Williams as Popeye. Oooo yes. It's real.)

Do you agree with the above suggestions? Can you list 10 awful movies? Is Spice World really that bad?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Spice World may not be the best film ever made, but I found it very entertaining and fun to watch when I saw it more than a few years back. I even ended up buying a copy you know. It's certainly not the worst film ever made.

I think in this instance, this once again shows a lack of imagination in writing the list... it's the old It's the Spice Girls, it must have been rubbish thing. I'm not their biggest fan, it has to be said, but really they don't deserve all the knocks they get.

Besides which Mr McCow you've made me watch plenty worse films than that one!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Titanic is far from a bad film and it didn't win 11 oscars for nothing.

So straight away the list is discredited as bullshit to me...the other 9 I haven't seen - says it all really...

The ones you mention Steve only seen Pearl Harbour and yes it's just a movie to show some special effects..."Tora! Tora! Tora!" made back in the 1970s without all the CGI shows how to do it properly...

Can't think of 10 really awful movies...perhaps later...

Can't think of 10 really awful movies...perhaps later
    Thats why this lists are rubbish. Most of the truly bad films are terrible because they're boring and therefore they get forgotten. The films on these lists are usually there because some person or other has decided that although they remember it they don't want people to know they've seen it in case it dents their cool image.

I'm no Spice Girls fan but I thought the film was mildly entertaining and the cameo's made me smile from time to time. And I think there's loads of far worse movies out there...I'm ignoring crap low budget troma or slasher pics btw, as I've always felt they were made to be intentionally bad.

1) The Phantom Menace - perhaps an obvious choice, but did George Lucas really think that by replacing likeable characters and exciting action scenes with lots of half thought out political mumbo jumbo and ramblings about trade routes was what Star Wars fans wanted?

2) Boxing Helena - Big things were expected from the film debut of Jennifer Lynch's daughter, but this is just awful. The acting's terrible (Bill Paxton especially looks like he's on kettermine and just lurching from one scene to the next) and the symbolism is thrust in to your face so often it becomes laughable. Plus the ending's absolutely rubbish!!!

3) AI - I just despise it. I know it's a film which divides people, one of my best friends loves it, but I hate it so much! It's got so much sickly sweet sacharine Spielbergian sentimental s***e in it that I barely made it to the end alive. And then after watching the ending, I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not...!

4) The Blair Witch Project - Sod the hype, this is just three very very very very irritating people getting lost in the woods, ridiculously overacting and getting stupidly scared for no real good reason, and then at the end the camera just falls over! Grrrr...!

5) Mad Cows - Based on Kathy Lette's novel, it's a film so badly shot that a lot of the time it becomes nonsensical. The plots nonsense too (Anna Friel gets sent to prison for stealing a bag of frozen peas), and none of the characters are even vaguely likable.

6) The Football Factory - The novel's a fascinating insight in to the lives of football hooligans - the film's a misjudged load of rubbish that almost celebrates their choices and left me with a distinctly nasty taste in my mouth.

7) Phone Booth - Keifer Sutherland wants to kill Colin Farrell because he's a...shock horror...pr agent. So sod all the murderers, rapists and other dispicable criminals out there, because director Joel Schumacher thinks that pr agents are the source of all evil on the planet, and they deserve to die the most. Which just doesn't make any sense at all.

8) Scooby Doo 2 - I love the first movie. I know. All credibility's gone. But the sequel was just appalling, a virtual rerun of the first film apart from the fact that the villain this time around was rubbish, and that they try and make all the character's change in a patronising, simplistic and typically Hollywood way.

9) War of the Worlds - Spielberg changes most of the plot, ignores the aliens and makes it a film about a dysfunctional family sorting their lives out. It's full of inconsistencies - The Martians can destroy buildings, but their death rays only tip over cars, Cruise manages to avoid dying whilst everyone around him is turned to dust, and most annoyingly of all, whilst there are clearly thousands of people left alive in Boston at the end of the film, the aliens spend a quite frankly bizarre amount of time pissing around in a field, and exploring a cellar where Cruise and daughter are hiding along with a disturbingly twisted Tim Robbins. Where, if Spielberg is to be believed, it’s okay to murder someone if they make too much noise and seem a bit strange.

10) My Big Fat Greek Wedding - A horrible comedy which signposts the jokes from miles away, and every single character is a lazy, tedious stereotype.

There's actually probably a fair few other films that I dislike more, but I can't think of anymore at the mo...Oh, and sorry if I've upset anyone by this, it's obviously just my opinion, and the above's meant in a kind of way!
    Last edited by Alex; 19th Jan 2007 at 2:02 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

Pip Madeley Guest

I expect Mr Rayner will have much to say about this one!

Batman & Robin is deservedly up there, I'm glad to say. Bloody awful stuff.

Enough bloody people watched "Titanic" at the time - so why is it suddenly the 2nd worst film ever? Pathetic!

Si.

"Spice World" is is an obvious target and I bet half the people who nominated it enjoyed it really. It's not a great film but it's an entertaining bit of fluff and very much a product of it's tme (ten years ago this summer folks!). In fact it kind of reminds me of "Dr.Who and the Daleks" in as much as both are more like glossy bits of merchandise rather than artistically valuable films. I prefer things like that too overlong, dreary things that people only go and see to look cool.

I agree that 'Spice World' is a fun film, and does exactly what it sets out to do, so there's no way it can be called the worst film ever. And as others have said, the presence of the most successful film in cinema history at number two shows how meaningless this list, like every other similar list, really is. But boy, do they get us debating!

Titanic always appears in these lists because it's the done thing to knock success. It is of course a monumental achievement, not without it's faults (the trite dialogue in places) but the fact it remains the most succesful film ever by some considerable distance speaks volumes.

The laughable thing about these lists is that Titanic would no doubt rate highly on a similar survey to find the best films of all time.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I tend to the opinion that the very worst films are the ones you can't remember because they leave no impression at all.

Glad to see Batman and Robin made it up there, as a big Batman fan, the films a disgrace.

I still love "Titanic" - gloriously simple and unpretentious, it melded the most visually impressive and poignant disaster movie of all time with a lovely love story. I bet if I watched it tomorrow I'd be misty eyed all over again.

Si.

I get the impression Martin Penny is a supremo of the Batman fan world. I bet he has Adam West's original cape at home and goes to the premiers to stand up loudly and say it's a blasphemy against the Dark Knight!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I get the impression Martin Penny is a supremo of the Batman fan world. I bet he has Adam West's original cape at home and goes to the premiers to stand up loudly and say it's a blasphemy against the Dark Knight!

Si.

We shall continue this conversation in the Martin Cave!

Sounds kinky

in a poll of 12,000 discerning Brit moviegoers.
    So not the mob they collar coming out on a Friday night from the latest brain-rotting Hollywood festering blockbuster, like they usually do? The same people who in polls can't name the capital of France or recognise any politicians ?

Discerning means don't go to see any old crap - perhaps they'd do better to ask members of PS if they want the truth !

(Oh, and Random Hearts starring Harrison Ford - don't. Its 2 hours of your life you'll never get back.)
    Last edited by Jon Masters; 19th Jan 2007 at 8:33 PM.
    Bazinga !

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I still love "Titanic" - gloriously simple and unpretentious, it melded the most visually impressive and poignant disaster movie of all time with a lovely love story. I bet if I watched it tomorrow I'd be misty eyed all over again.

Si.
    I to find it difficult to believe that Titanic, has been voted for as a worst movie and it dose make you wonder who it is who actualy votes on these things.

all though I only saw bits of it possibaly the worst film I have ever seen is Kong Lives a film even worse than the 1970's remake of King Kong - a film that should easely be in any ones top 10 of wost movies.

in a nut shell Kong survives his fall from the builing is wisked back to Kong island where he is reunited with his mate who is about to give birth to a baby Kong..

I look forward to seeing Martin's cave.

Si.

Oh my!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I agree with Batman and Robin. I'd also place Superman IV in there. And I agree with Alex about Blair Witch Project - probably the most disappointing film I've ever seen compared to how much I was looking forward to seeing it (got sucked in by the hype).

And much as I love the Carry Ons overall, I'd have to nominate both England and Columbus.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    And much as I love the Carry Ons overall, I'd have to nominate both England and Columbus.

but could you really class Columbus, as a real Carry on movie, when practicaly non of the original cast were in it..

Wayne Guest

Never seen 'Spiceworld' (surprise surprise), but even not having seen it, i'd rather watch that than sit through the incredibly overated Titantic again, which i found tedious in the extreme.
    Disagree with Alex on 3 of his, too.
    I enjoyed the 'War of the Worlds' remake. although i do agree with some the weaknesses pointed out. I guess i just find them easy to overlook. 'Blair Witch' & 'Phone Booth', i also quite liked, but not enough to buy them.
    My nominations would be Pulp Fiction & Resevoir Dogs. They really are shit, if you ask me.

Dave Lewis Guest

I've only seen two of them - Spiceworld was great, and Batman And Robin was cack.

What about All Saints' film? It's meant to be rubbish but the clips I've found on the internet are brilliant.

"Honest" - directed by Dave Stewart. I've not seen it but Shaznay Lewis had the sense to not be in it.

I remember Teletext suggesting that "Mad Cows" some lost British film starring Joanna Lumley and Anne Friel was the worst film of all time.