Or in other words, what were you reading around the time S18 was first broadcast? Or for those too young to remember (or weren't even born, perhaps) what was published around that time which you discovered at a later date and enjoyed?

The thread to discuss Target books of the period, or any other novels/writers, magazines, comics or any other publications you were into at the time.

The big thing for me at the time was the gradual move from comics and kids books into magazines and slightly more adult literature. Marvel UK had given all their titles a major revamp the year previously, not for the better in most cases imo, and I was gradually losing interest in the UK range (although the ongoing Black Knight strip kept my interest) so comics-wise I was starting to buy mostly US imports, both Marvel and DC. Although this may not be the greatest period of their history, I still have a soft spot for the titles published around this time. But it was the increasingly informative Doctor Who Monthly and Starburst from Marvel which really whetted my appetite for all things fantasy and sci-fi. US titles such as Starlog and Fangoria were harder to get a hold of, but I loved reading about these great old tv series and films I could only ever dream of seeing, such as The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits (which I remember being excited about when BBC2 showed it a year or so later late on Friday evenings).

As for books, I was into Robert E Howard's Conan series in a big way at the time (the film was to be a huge disappointment to me a couple of years later) as well as Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan and John Carter series (I still love those old pulp stories) and was just discovering the magical worlds of Micheal Moorcock and a certain JRR Tolkein. My parents didn't consider my tastes much more adult than what I'd been reading before, but to me it was a huge step up from the Hardy Boys...

So what did you like in the worlds of books, magazines and comics circa S18?