Default Sir Norman Wisdom RIP

Sad to hear, but 95 is a great age to reach, and after years of being unwell and suffering strokes, it must be a release.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

That's very sad.

No - he really did bring so much joy to so many and seemed like a really decent chap. Although of course you're right - no-one can live forever.
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......

What can I say? Norman Wisdom was a great favourite in the family when I was growing up. I always seemed to be aware of his films and TV appearences, and of course his records, it seems forgotten that Wisdom was also an accomplished singer, his plaintive rendition of "Don't Laugh At Me Cos I'm A Fool" from Trouble In Store is almost heart rending in his delivery.
    My mother had that on a 78rpm it's B side was a track called "Once In Love With Amy" and Colin Baker would always sing that line to Amy whenever we met him at a convention, Baker was surprised that I knew the song and said I must be older than I looked.

RIP Sir Norman Wisdom. You are a legend, you will live on through your films, you will never be forgotten.

brilliantly talanted and funny man - and an absolute ledgend in Albania..

R.I.P

I was amazed to discover earlier today that he only made 19 films. I suppose it's because some of them have been on so often that it seems like more. Ah well, he brought great pleasure to a lot of people, and thanks to those films, will continue to do so. What better tribute can you offer?

Captain Tancredi Guest

He'll certainly be very much missed in the Isle of Man, where he spent much of his retirement- there's a statue of him sitting on a bench (so you can have your photo taken sitting next to him) which gets moved around Douglas every so often.

I suggest an appropriate tribute would be for the population of Britain to simultaneously throw themselves down a flight of stairs while calling for Mr Grimsdale.

I haven't seen anything he's done, which is my loss - still, he was well respected and seemed like a thoroughly decent man. RIP.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It might not be your loss.

He was from a different age. I doubt his brand of comedy would work today. Imagine if they launched Charlie Chaplin on the world in 2010 - we'd all fall asleep.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

He was from a different age. I doubt his brand of comedy would work today. Imagine if they launched Charlie Chaplin on the world in 2010 - we'd all fall asleep.

Si.
    I would look at Lee Evans and then Norman - surprisingly similar in concept.

Good point!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

Si.
    I imagine many might say the same thing if someone tried to sell 'An Unearthly Child' as a pilot for a new fantasy TV show today....

I'd even already accepted I was wrong and it still didn't deter you.

Amazing.

Si.

Felt like I was haunted by his ghost yesterday. I was in the office kitchen and managed to spill some milk. Everything I did to try and rectify it just escallated the problem, including managing to drop a yoghurt from the fridge and get it into the carpet ... finishing off with walking into a drawer I'd left open at groin height. Ouch.

Norman Wisdom was a master of physical comedy. It's not sophisticated and witty, but it never ages, it needs no translation and it appeals to young and old alike ...
    Remember, just because Davros is dead doesn't mean the Dalek menace has been contained ......