Thread: The Office

Default The Office

Finally managed to watch this in order - I'd previously only seen snippets and was uncertain about it.

Now I've watched it in order I think it really is a brilliant piece of writing with many truly hilarious moments. It's a comedy on a class of it's own, I've seen comparisons with Fawlty Towers but I don't think thats appropriate as the styles are totally different. Ricky Gervais is a master of timing and the casting all round is really fantastic

Just the final episode to watch now.

What did everyone else make of this series? I reckon you'd either love or hate it?
    Last edited by Ralph; 20th Jan 2007 at 4:29 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

I never watched it on its original transmission, I just never bothered. But after hearing all the hype, I decided to give it a try last year, and I really did enjoy it. I wouldn't say it was as good as Extras, but it's got some very funny moments.

I'm going to watch "Extras Series 1" shortly..I've only seen the one with David Bowie and I thought that had some really funny moments.

I think I'll find it interesting to compare. I enjoyed the office more as I got into it..I suspect it's crafted such that it's enjoyed more on repeat viewings?

I love it, it's one of the few things I'll sit and put on when Simon isn't home. It just makes me laugh a lot, very good and highlights for me are the "fire escape" where they leave the woman in a wheelchair halfway up a stairwell, and the training session that ends up with them all singing along to his guitar.

"You can't have the rainbow without the rain. Do you know what philosopher said that? Dolly Parton."

Si.

Yeah that is a good bit another I found hilarious is when Brent does his impromptu dance on the red nose day episode after his Boss does the Travolta routine.

Oh and also Brent doing the one to one appraisal for the heavy guy in the beard

I'd heard about all the hype and several people at work talking about The Office and gave it a try but just couldn't get into it and found it for the main tedious and boring. Perhaps it's just me but I simply don't find Ricky Gervais funny I have even watched snippets of his latest thing Extras and found that to be equaly slow and unfunny..

I can understand why you say that Larry - I thought that at first, kind of like "the emperor's new clothes" but I've really changed my mind - I think you hook into the style the more episodes you watch. I've found myself tuning in to "Extras" much more readily because I appreciate the style of comedy now.

Humour is so subjective though - I remember sending Wayne a copy of "Free Enterprise" which I found lots of laughs in but Wayne hated it. I really enjoy Leslie Neilsen and the Naked Gun movies but I just can't take to the Austin Power's movies. I think it's because I don't like the actor.

I think The Office humour allows you total freedom to choose what you feel is funny - I find it difficult to explain but there's just so much subtlety in the words, movements, expressions - I think it's a very creative style. Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I can understand why you say that Larry - I thought that at first, kind of like "the emperor's new clothes" but I've really changed my mind - I think you hook into the style the more episodes you watch. I've found myself tuning in to "Extras" much more readily because I appreciate the style of comedy now.

Humour is so subjective though - I remember sending Wayne a copy of "Free Enterprise" which I found lots of laughs in but Wayne hated it. I really enjoy Leslie Neilsen and the Naked Gun movies but I just can't take to the Austin Power's movies. I think it's because I don't like the actor.

I think The Office humour allows you total freedom to choose what you feel is funny - I find it difficult to explain but there's just so much subtlety in the words, movements, expressions - I think it's a very creative style. Does this make sense?

yes it makes sense -

but in general apart from My Family, I just don't find any of todays comady on tv funny and think a lot of it especialy things like My Hero and Green Green grass are just painfull and dull to watch. I'm a huge fan of the old classics like Porridge, Dad's Army and Yes Minster/Prime Minister and no matter how many times I see an episode i still laugh at it.

But the reason for me that the classic stuff is so good and todays comady is so poor is that unlike modern stuff the classics were written by top quallity writers with a top quallity cast of comady actors.

I have to agree on the point of more recent comedy - I was beginning to wonder if I had a sense of humour! I hate most of those home counties sit-coms which I think generally are poor.

I've been building up my comedy collection of things that make me laugh as I was missing the laughter! Not the Nine O'Clock News, Black Adder, Father Ted are just some of the ones I really like.

I notice the first Sgt Bilko series DVD is out now, I enjoyed watching it back in the 80s when it was given a run late at night on BBC2 so I'd like to check it out again - I think Phil Silvers was a master of comedy. I read that "Top Cat" was a cartoon tribute - it hadn't dawned on me before, it's so obvious now!

I haven't watched stuff like Little Britain or the Mighty Boosh which seem to be the flavour of the day so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything good.

I think the removal of canned laughter in comedy was an important step - if something is funny why was it needed? Surely the producers weren't entirely convinced if they have to tell us when to laugh. Anything made with canned laughter now should be given a wide berth - I think Last of The Summer Wine which I can't stand still has it. Case proven!
    Last edited by Ralph; 21st Jan 2007 at 12:40 PM.

certainly agree with you about Little Britain, I watched some of the Christmas special and never laughed once and was left thinking what all the fuss was about. I to am building up my comady collections and so far have Dad's Army series 3,4,5,6, Yes Minister,series 1,2,3, Prime Minister, 1 & 2, Porridge 1,2,3 plus series 1-7 of Only fools and Horses. I'm hoping to get the complete Blackadder box set to.

Pip Madeley Guest

I too am building up my comady collection
    My size of mine is frightening. Ask Jefferies.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post
    My size of mine is frightening. Ask Jefferies.

Are we still talking about comedy collections?

It seems to be one of those things people either love or hate. I'm the former, it's one of my favourite comedies from recent years. Basically the comedy of embarrassment, some of it anyway. People trying and failing to put up a certain kind of front to the world, amongst petty rivalries, double standards, amid all the inane politics and routines that go in so many workplaces. Very well directed and performed too imo, it usually seems so careflly judged.

Have you also seen the two-part Christmas special that came a year or so after the last series, Ralph?

Hiya Iain - yes I watched the complete set including the Christmas specials. what immediately comes to mind is some of the dates