Thread: Fawlty TARDIS

Default Fawlty TARDIS

This might be an obvious one to some, but I've noticed YET ANOTHER Fawlty Towers cast member who also appeared in Doctor Who. Call me dumb, but I never twigged that Benoit from "The Moonbase" played Andre, the owner of the restaurant that bails Basil out in "Gourmet Night".

There are many, many of them, but isn't it about time we had a thread that collected together ALL the shared Fawlty/Who actors?

I'll kick us off with "The Pyschatrist", which alone features Elspet Gray from "Arc of Infinity", Imogen Bickford-Smith from "Underworld", Nicky Henson from Big Finish and Luan Peters from "Frontier in Space". And the Donia Arana!

Anyone want to throw any more into the pot? Let's see if we can get them all!

Si.

Well there's Bernard Cribbins in The Hotel Inspector of course.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Bernard Cribbins – Mr Hutchinson/Wilf
    John Cleese – Basil/Art Critic
    Roger Hume - Reg/Guard in Day of the Daleks

There's at least one in every episode of FT but I can't think of them all at the mo - dreadful really, as I should know them all!

Is there one in "The Builders"? Or "The Wedding Party"?

Si.

Andrew Sachs was in BF's version of Shada.

John Cleese was in City Of Death, getting the obvious one out of the way.

As for The Wedding Anniversary, and moving into obscurity, Ken Campbell auditioned for the seventh Doctor

The delivery man in The Builders (George Lee) was Corporal Forbes in Spearhead, and he was also in The Time Monster as a farm worker.

Not sure about The Wedding Party.

Looking at IMDB, I don't think anyone who was in The Wedding Party was ever in Doctor Who.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Diana King was in Doctor on the Go which must give her half a point.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

As for The Wedding Anniversary, and moving into obscurity, Ken Campbell auditioned for the seventh Doctor
    He was in "The Anniversary", (as was Una Stubbs who was also in Big Finish and could yet pop up in Who, given her involvement with Sherlock) but not "The Wedding Party".

My favourite one. The very first guest at Fawlty Towers, played by David Simeon ("We didn't get our alarm call!") was Alisdair Fergus in "The Daemons".

Si.

Richard Davies, who played Burton in Delta and the Bannermen, was in The Kipper and the Corpse, as was Geoffrey Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Looking at IMDB, I don't think anyone who was in The Wedding Party was ever in Doctor Who.

Si xx
    There's Jay Neill, as "Bar Guest", who played Silvey in Invisible Enemy and Klimt in Underworld, and was an extra in a few other stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post

Si xx
    By default, though it's cheating slightly, John Cleese is in it so he counts!

That's how I justify my statement of 'at least one in every episode'!

Just to add, although I'm 100% sure the senior guard in Day of the Daleks was one of the husbands in The Anniversary, I'm struggling to get any of the names to match between the respective cast lists!

This feels like a dumb question but were any of the main cast of Dad's Army ever in Doctor Who? I can't think of any but I'm no good at this game.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I don't think they were.

The only connection I can make is Bernard Archard who played General someone or other in the Dad's Army film.

I can still picture him floating down a river in a small boat whilst sitting on horseback.

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    This feels like a dumb question but were any of the main cast of Dad's Army ever in Doctor Who? I can't think of any but I'm no good at this game.
    John Ringham was in the first episode. Then there's a certain submarine commander...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    John Ringham was in the first episode. Then there's a certain submarine commander...
    Don't tell him your name, Stuart !

Talfryn Thomas comes in as a regular in one series, as a character to (sort of) replace Private Walker, after the sad death of James Beck
    Bazinga !

Returning to Fawlty Towers, Andre the chef ("Duck's off, I'm afraid...") was Benoit in The Moonbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    The only connection I can make is Bernard Archard who played General someone or other in the Dad's Army film.
    'It's that damn bank clerk!'

Also in the film (briefly) was Derek Newark (Za and Greg Sutton), who had the pleasure of informing Sgt Wilson that it was all right that Mainwaring and Jones had just steamrollered a load of tents and mess kits, because they were the ones for their platoon anyway.

George Roubicek and Scott Fredericks were also in the film.

On the Fawlty Towers front, the episode 'Gourmet Night' also starred Steve Plytas, who was Secretary Wigner in The Tenth Planet.